Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My computer now has been taken over by Internet Explorer 8

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Don't know where it came from but I can't restore, AVG say's that there is nothing untoward detected but I've lost all my files and virtually all my desktop icons and can't connect to the internet...options good folks ?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Don't know where it came from but I can't restore, AVG say's that there is nothing untoward detected but I've lost all my files and virtually all my desktop icons and can't connect to the internet...options good folks ?
No error messages - for example the old 'Active Desktop Restore' issue from ages back (does that still happen? )?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No, no error messages, pc turned on and loaded normally, I checked in to NSC and had a little pop up from AVG saying some part if it had updated and needs the pc to restart for the changes to take place....restarted and found I had lost almost everything but gained I E 8.....

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
No, no error messages, pc turned on and loaded normally, I checked in to NSC and had a little pop up from AVG saying some part if it had updated and needs the pc to restart for the changes to take place....restarted and found I had lost almost everything but gained I E 8.....
What happens when you try to go online? And do you have any other browsers installed to test?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Laugh at my iPad did yer.........

Time to move on Grandad.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What happens when you try to go online? And do you have any other browsers installed to test?

Just managed to get online and get here via IE8-Google, maybe its the blasted AVG thing that buggered up all the settings. I have already gone back about 10 days to find a working restore point, is it worth uninstalling all of AVG and then going back another restore point then re-installing AVG ?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Just managed to get online and get here via IE8-Google, maybe its the blasted AVG thing that buggered up all the settings. I have already gone back about 10 days to find a working restore point, is it worth uninstalling all of AVG and then going back another restore point then re-installing AVG ?
Depends how much you'll lose - to be honest I think I probably would give it a try because sorting it otherwise is looking to be possibly a bit of a tricky one.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
uninstall go back restore and install avast free

This with bells on. AVG is a f***ing nuisance, it used to be brilliant, but the latest incarnation is pox, and sadly VERY difficult to remove. Just updated to windows 7 for me and the mrs, and it's avast! all the way.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thanks for the advice chaps, I have the internet sort of, will probably take the pc in to an expert to see if he can sort.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Boot any version of linux from disc. Use this to copy all the files you want to save elsewhere.
Then use it to nuke your computer and start again from scratch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here