Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray = LEGEND

Nov 15, 2005
From BBC

Murray stuns Roddick in San Jose
Andy Murray and Andy Roddick
Murray enjoyed his first win over a top-10 player
Britain's Andy Murray pulled off the biggest win of his young career as he stunned top seed Andy Roddick in the SAP Open semi-finals in San Jose.

The 18-year-old Scot reached his second ATP tour final with a 7-5 7-5 victory over the former US Open champion.

Roddick, 23, was looking for a hat-trick of victories in the event.

But Murray broke him in the 11th game of both sets to book a final date with Lleyton Hewitt, who beat American Vincent Spadea 6-3 6-4 in his semi.

"I was almost a little sick because of nerves but in the end I came though," Murray, the world number 60, said after his first win over a player ranked in the top 10.

"Beating Roddick in his home country is like a dream come true."

I couldn't get the ball to go through the court how I would have liked
Andy Roddick

Roddick had looked the more comfortable on his serve in the opening set until Murray showed impeccable timing to break him at 5-5 and serve out the set.

The Dunblane teenager looked on course for victory when breaking the American again in game five of the second set, only for Roddick to break back immediately.

But Murray struck again at 5-5 and then held his nerve in a thrilling final game to wrap up a famous win.

"It just seemed like I couldn't get the ball to go through the court how I would have liked," said Roddick.

"It was difficult. I wasn't getting much bite on my service action. It was frustrating."

Sunday will bring Murray his second tour final after losing to Roger Federer in the final of the Thailand Open last October, while it will be Hewitt's first final for nearly a year.

"I felt like I played pretty solid," said Hewitt, who dominated Spadea with his aggressive groundstrokes from the baseline, hitting 25 winners in all.

"I put pressure on nearly all of his service games. I was trying to dictate as much as possible and get him on the defensive."

The former world number one has not won a title since a tournament in Sydney 13 months ago.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Give it two or three years when he hasn't won Wimbledon and he'll be slated just as badly as Henman is.

I hope he does go on to greater things but I hate the way the British go over the top about sportsmen (and women) and then do all they can to drag them back down again.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Yorkie said:
Give it two or three years when he hasn't won Wimbledon and he'll be slated just as badly as Henman is.

I hope he does go on to greater things but I hate the way the British go over the top about sportsmen (and women) and then do all they can to drag them back down again.

Nice one Yorkie, Andrew Murray has won the best games of his career, and you've have to slag him off. He might not win Wimbledon but he has a great future head of him.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
brightonfan_86 said:
Nice one Yorkie, Andrew Murray has won the best games of his career, and you've have to slag him off. He might not win Wimbledon but he has a great future head of him.

Please state exactly which words I have used to slag him?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
brightonfan_86 said:
I'm not sure I've seen a post quite as badly misinterpreted as this.

Good work Kev.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
good thing is, if he turns out to be great he will be BRITISH.
If he turns out to be a let down he will be SCOTTISH!

Always amazes me that one does!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Easy 10 said:

Good work Kev.

Cheers Easy. :)

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Easy 10 said:

Good work Kev.

And that concludes the case for the prosecution; Kev is held as a legend himself by many in these parts yet talks complete gibberish most of the time.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Yorkie said:

Not entirely.

When he is doing well he is British.

When he is shite he is Scottish.

1066gull

4-1 now

serving to make it 5

..and Yorkie. Has Henman ever beaten Roddick or Hewitt? I don't think so????

Maybe Hewitt, but Roddick?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here