Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray Goodwin calls it a day with Sussex [merged threads]

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
just thought i would let you all know

Murray Goodwin is leaving Sussex
Murray Goodwin has announced he is to leave Sussex at the end of the season.

The 39-year-old’s contract runs out this winter and he will play his final game at Hove tomorrow when Sussex take on Somerset in the County Championship .

Goodwin’s Sussex career has been littered with achievement with his sheer volume of runs being a major factor in the club’s decade of success.

He was part of the team which won the County Championship in 2003, 2006, and 2007, the C & G Trophy in 2006 and the Pro40 in 2008 and 2009, along with the Twenty20 Cup – also in 2009 – to complete a full sweep.

With over 24,000 runs for Sussex in all formats, including nearly 14,500 first class runs with 48 centuries and an average approaching 50, Goodwin has been a genuine Sussex legend.

Cricket manager Mark Robinson said: “Murray is arguably the best ever batsman Sussex have had and he will be greatly missed and not only on the pitch, but in the dressing room as well by all those he has helped and supported in his time at the club. I would like to thank Murray for the help he has given me, and the great service he has given to this club.”

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He will be missed as others have been who have left and thanks for being a great player for Sussex.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Best of luck for the future. His achievements for the club have not been muddied by a decline in his ability over the last couple of seasons. Definitely a Sussex great.

Not many left of our original County Championship winners!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
the time is right , muzza himself would be the 1st to say he has not had the best of seasons , a fantastic servant to sussex and i wont forget that six off the last ball to win , amazing stuff , good luck muzza .

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Murray Goodwin leaves Sussex

Murray calls it a day.
He has had a crap season, but will always be a Sussex Legend, his batting over the last 12 seasons, has made us the most successful county f the 21st century.

GOODWIN: Murray to leave Sussex CCC

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
A legend in every sense of the word. Had to come to end end one day!

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Hasn't been up to first division cricket for a few years now, shame he didn't pack it in earlier and go out on a high.

Great player in his day.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up. Article doesn't indicate he's packed it in at all,

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
the time is right , muzza himself would be the 1st to say he has not had the best of seasons , a fantastic servant to sussex and i wont forget that six off the last ball to win , amazing stuff , good luck muzza .

As you know, my memory isn't what it was Hailsham Gull, but was he the chap that knocked the run that won Sussex the championship 8/9 years ago?

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
A sad day. A once in a generation batsman, arguably SCCC's best ever.
Going by that statement, looks like it was the club's decision, would like to think he'll retire and not end up at another county, specially one due north of us

Jul 20, 2003
I found him having a kip in a hedge once.

Top fella

End of an era ...... man alive, a Sussex XI that have left in the last decade would be one hell of a f***ing team

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sounds a bit mean reading between the lines, surely they could have done this at the end of the season ?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
To much elastaplas on your specs Peanut,:) think you were asking Tay.
Yes Muzza was batting in 2003 when we won our 1st Championship, and as Tay said in his post, Muzza hit a last ball 6 at Trent Bridge to win us the Pro 40 league in 2008
Lucky to witness both days

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Sounds a bit mean reading between the lines, surely they could have done this at the end of the season ?

Not really, by announcing it now, supporters can say goodbye at the last four days cricket at Hove this season startin tomorrow
Last game of season is away to Durham

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
A top, top player whose contribution over the years has meant so much to so many. Muzzy we wish you well and hope that you will still pop in from time to time. A warm welcome will always be received

Legend

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here