Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Mr McMahon series on Netflix

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Well worth a binge watch, regardless of whether you thought wrestling was real, fake or a load of old bullshit.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well, it’s not a question of thought or opinion, wrestling is fake as f***. Who would think anything else?

I watched this documentary despite having zero interest in this “sport” / form of entertainment.

It was okay. The overriding thought I got was “how can adults. Actual male adults be into this”?

Over muscled numbskulls running around in their pants, rubbing themselves all over each other, gurning and screaming into the camera and playing fake characters. How could anyone stand this?

It’s just noisy, homoerotic, nonsense.

And that Mr.McMahon?

What he got women, including his own daughter to do was frankly, disgusting. It is revolting now and it was revolting then.

A toxic mess.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Well, it’s not a question of thought or opinion, wrestling is fake as f***. Who would think anything else?

I watched this documentary despite having zero interest in this “sport” / form of entertainment.

It was okay. The overriding thought I got was “how can adults. Actual male adults be into this”?

Over muscled numbskulls running around in their pants, rubbing themselves all over each other, gurning and screaming into the camera and playing fake characters. How could anyone stand this?

And that Mr.McMahon?

What he got women, including his own daughter to do was frankly, disgusting. It is revolting now and it was revolting then.

A toxic mess.
All of this.

The only good thing to come out of wrestling is the film ‘The Wrestler’.

Flounce

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2006
I got my fill of wrestling in the days of Mick McManus, Jackie Pallo, Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks back in the day on tv before the football results thanks. Fixed rubbish for old women with hand bags in the front row. :shrug:

I’d rather binge watch Michel Roux jr cookery programmes, the self important twat :smile:

Last edited:

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
I caught some of this the other day when they were talking about the fella dropped from the roof, who died in the ring and then the show carried on. Despite the deceased's blood still being all over the canvas. What on earth is that about? Genuinely quite shocking. The whole wrestling thing totally passed me by as it was obviously nonsense, over-scripted and underwhelming "action". Total rubbish.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Surely it's not a question of whether you think it's real or fake. Feel sorry for anyone that thinks it's real! It's entertainment for some but if it were a real sport there would be countless penalties for match fixing.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Makes me laugh when people say “it’s fake!” - yeah, it’s pre-determined. That’s why it’s entertaining. It used to be real, back in the carnival and fairground days, but they discovered a) they could fix the matches and rig the betting and b) it’s a lot more entertaining to have an exciting match. Try watching bad MMA with two grapplers, it’s dull as dishwater.

Everyone who watched/watches professional wrestling knows it’s a show, it’s not some amazing forbidden knowledge you have that fans don’t. Fans generally know a lot more about how it works than uppity “you know it’s fake, right?” try-hards.

As for the show, I’ll quote my thoughts from the wrestling thread:

Thought it was very underwhelming. Vince is a very weird guy, but most of us have known that for decades. There’s about half an hour in the final episode actually covering the (latest) scandals, the rest has all been covered elsewhere in much greater detail.

It was a nice refresher and summary but there were no really tough questions or insight into the man beyond what is already known. They didn’t ask him about how he and Linda have been essentially in an open relationship for decades, for instance. But then, with all the family taking part it was very sanitised.

Fans know it all already, but it’s too “wrestling” and niche to appeal to people with zero interest in the subject - not really sure what the point was.

Dark Side of the Ring is a much better show.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

And that Mr.McMahon?

A toxic mess.

You know Eastenders is fake too?

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023

And that Mr.McMahon?

A toxic mess.
So you watched 5/6 episodes of something you ain’t interested in, and then say people who watch it are homoerotic , my overriding thought is you are but of a prick

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
So you watched 5/6 episodes of something you ain’t interested in, and then say people who watch it are homoerotic , my overriding thought is you are but of a prick
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick... think he's saying that about wrestling in general, not the doco. I watched the series and had the same thoughts as @The Clamp about wrestling in general, and Mc Mahon

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick... think he's saying that about wrestling in general, not the doco. I watched the series and had the same thoughts as @The Clamp about wrestling in general, and Mc Mahon
Perhaps you can explain why non-fans are so desperate to point out it’s “fake”? I’ve just never understood it. Does it confuse people that people know it’s very obviously just a show yet still enjoy it?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Perhaps you can explain why non-fans are so desperate to point out it’s “fake”? I’ve just never understood it. Does it confuse people that people know it’s very obviously just a show yet still enjoy it?

I don't know, I don't care, I don't think he was so desperate to point that out either really - he just made the point that of course it's fake in response to the op. I just agreed with the rest of the post and thought @HangletonGull got the wrong end of the stick

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
The “non fans” just want to feel superior in the same way they say coronation street or eastenders are rubbish it’s a sense of feeling superior and instead of scrolling past they feel they have to comment

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I can't quite remember who originally said it but someone involved in the industry described it as a "TV show about a sport" which I like as a description.

I enjoy it, I've always enjoyed it and never grown out of that....don't really care what anyone thinks about that

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

So Trump supporters.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Actually after watching this wrestling seems less fake than I thought it was. Yeah it's almost always predetermined who the winner is but occasionally they went into the ring not knowing what the sketch was, and it's not like the whole match was choreographed

Great watch, what a crazy world wrestling was!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here