Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Moving from Windows desktop to Apple iMac?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Rumours suggest the big iMac could be even bigger than 27". Regardless, you're right - unlikely to be before next year. Maybe March/April.

Much as I'd like a huge screen, the sheer quality of these makes the 24inch perfectly acceptable. And loads cheaper!

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
The jump from Windows to mac OS can be quite hard for some if they have only ever lived in the windows environment. However, once you go mac, you never go back! It's worth perservering and learning the differences for sure. MacOs tends to be more keyboard shortcut focussed as well and again it's worth learning these as they eventually become second nature and you will wonder how you ever managed without them.

The changes to windows over the years have, imo, brought it closer to MacOS so I don't think it's as big a shock as it used to be, and it's helped by the fact that ios and MacOs are being intergrated more and more so if you've used an IPad/iPhone in the past there are similarities now.

I don't agree with the argument they are more expensive to be honest. When people compare they look at the basic cost of a windows machine then compare it to a mac and yeah, it looks bad. But when you actually spec up the windows machine to the same level as a mac you're really not looking at that much of a difference. Mac screens, touchpads, (not the magic mouse, that's a heap of crap) keyboards are all such good quality.

Once you get into the apple eco system as well it is insanely convenient to be able to message on your phone, ipad, mac. Work on one then just pick up another device and just carry on, airdrop, sidecar, time machine - they really do this so well.

Lightroom I am pretty sure runs almost the same on windows as it does on Mac so you'll be fine here. You will definately need external storage though.

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
I jumped from Windows PC to an iMac for my work computer about 3 years ago now and in retrospect, I wish I hadn't taken so long. I do audio production for work (podcaster) and everything has been significantly easier since having the Mac. This year I bought a secondhand 2017 Macbook Pro as well as the new M1 24" Mac and have to say, the 24" Mac is quite a machine for something so small and discreet (size-wise not the colour!). It's certainly capable and I used it recently to work with a scanned image in Photoshop for a book cover design that was a huge resolution and 92GB in size and it ate it up with ease. It reduced an audio post-processing task that used to take me around 20 minutes down to between 1-2 minutes. I've been nothing but impressed by it and will be looking at upgrading my MacBook to the rumoured M1X version which is supposed to be coming out over the next couple of weeks.

As far as user experience and the transition goes, I've not found anything I can't do on it. Everything I used either had a Mac version or an alternative, but then I use only the Adobe design suite and Logic Pro so nothing crazy. The only thing I would say about the M1 Mac is you'll likely need an external hard drive if you want to store a lot of music and photos on a physical drive as the storage options are low unless you're willing to significantly bump up the price. I bought the midrange 128GB version with more CPU/GPU cores, upgraded the RAM to 16GB and attached a 500GB external and it's been perfect.

MacOS is honestly amazing and I find it so much smoother and easier to use than Windows. It's really difficult to pin down what it is that is so satisfying about it as an OS, but it just cruises along without errors or file systems or registry edits or any faff. I honestly think it's considerably easier to use than Windows once you get over the little differences that come up in day-to-day use, which are not many. I still have a Windows PC but it's relegated to the occasional bit of gaming now, other than that I never turn it on. The worst thing about MacOS and Apple is how it sucks you into their ecosystem, I went from a Windows user with an android phone to a Macbook/iPhone/iPad Pro/ iMac just because everything connects so seamlessly. Despite my Android phone being two years old, it's still significantly more advanced as a piece of technology than my weeks old iPhone 13 Pro, but frankly, it was a pain in the arse to use with the macs and despite the iPhone being a bit shit, it's ease of use with everything else has been a breath of fresh air since moving over to the dark side. That was obviously my choice and when I say worst thing it is a bit tongue in cheek, but there is definitely a large pull of convenience to immerse yourself into the ecosystem once you get the hang of MacOS.

If you have any questions about the M1 Mac in particular, let me know.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I jumped from Windows PC to an iMac for my work computer about 3 years ago now and in retrospect, I wish I hadn't taken so long. I do audio production for work (podcaster) and everything has been significantly easier since having the Mac. This year I bought a secondhand 2017 Macbook Pro as well as the new M1 24" Mac and have to say, the 24" Mac is quite a machine for something so small and discreet (size-wise not the colour!). It's certainly capable and I used it recently to work with a scanned image in Photoshop for a book cover design that was a huge resolution and 92GB in size and it ate it up with ease. It reduced an audio post-processing task that used to take me around 20 minutes down to between 1-2 minutes. I've been nothing but impressed by it and will be looking at upgrading my MacBook to the rumoured M1X version which is supposed to be coming out over the next couple of weeks.

As far as user experience and the transition goes, I've not found anything I can't do on it. Everything I used either had a Mac version or an alternative, but then I use only the Adobe design suite and Logic Pro so nothing crazy. The only thing I would say about the M1 Mac is you'll likely need an external hard drive if you want to store a lot of music and photos on a physical drive as the storage options are low unless you're willing to significantly bump up the price. I bought the midrange 128GB version with more CPU/GPU cores, upgraded the RAM to 16GB and attached a 500GB external and it's been perfect.

MacOS is honestly amazing and I find it so much smoother and easier to use than Windows. It's really difficult to pin down what it is that is so satisfying about it as an OS, but it just cruises along without errors or file systems or registry edits or any faff. I honestly think it's considerably easier to use than Windows once you get over the little differences that come up in day-to-day use, which are not many. I still have a Windows PC but it's relegated to the occasional bit of gaming now, other than that I never turn it on. The worst thing about MacOS and Apple is how it sucks you into their ecosystem, I went from a Windows user with an android phone to a Macbook/iPhone/iPad Pro/ iMac just because everything connects so seamlessly. Despite my Android phone being two years old, it's still significantly more advanced as a piece of technology than my weeks old iPhone 13 Pro, but frankly, it was a pain in the arse to use with the macs and despite the iPhone being a bit shit, it's ease of use with everything else has been a breath of fresh air since moving over to the dark side. That was obviously my choice and when I say worst thing it is a bit tongue in cheek, but there is definitely a large pull of convenience to immerse yourself into the ecosystem once you get the hang of MacOS.

This is good to hear. I’m about to start at a new company where everyone uses MacBooks, having been exclusively windows for nearly 25 years. I’m an old dog somewhat nervous about having to learn new tricks…

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The jump from Windows to mac OS can be quite hard for some if they have only ever lived in the windows environment. However, once you go mac, you never go back! It's worth perservering and learning the differences for sure. MacOs tends to be more keyboard shortcut focussed as well and again it's worth learning these as they eventually become second nature and you will wonder how you ever managed without them.

The changes to windows over the years have, imo, brought it closer to MacOS so I don't think it's as big a shock as it used to be, and it's helped by the fact that ios and MacOs are being intergrated more and more so if you've used an IPad/iPhone in the past there are similarities now.

I don't agree with the argument they are more expensive to be honest. When people compare they look at the basic cost of a windows machine then compare it to a mac and yeah, it looks bad. But when you actually spec up the windows machine to the same level as a mac you're really not looking at that much of a difference. Mac screens, touchpads, (not the magic mouse, that's a heap of crap) keyboards are all such good quality.

Once you get into the apple eco system as well it is insanely convenient to be able to message on your phone, ipad, mac. Work on one then just pick up another device and just carry on, airdrop, sidecar, time machine - they really do this so well.

Lightroom I am pretty sure runs almost the same on windows as it does on Mac so you'll be fine here. You will definately need external storage though.

This is my beef with Apple. The locking in to an 'eco system'. A very expensive eco system at that!

The way they hand out free iPads to a lot of youngsters starting University also feels like a drug pusher giving the first fix free, hoping you form a habit.

I can't send a simple audio file from my android phone to anyone on an iPhone via Bluetooth. What's that all about!?

When our daughter did her music degree, it was pretty clear that she'd be forced into moving away from Sibelius and getting a Mac as the vast majority of the work required Logic. I'm not a fan of that kind of aggressive placement.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Great post, thanks for taking the time.

I've been with Windows since version 3.1 - I vagualy remember buying an extra 1mb of memory so we could install it over MS-DOS on our 386 PC! But sometimes a change is better than a getting into a rut. The hardest thing is admitting that my wife was right 5 years ago! She's got the whole eco-system - watch, phone, tablet, desktop, and has even offered me an old iPhone this morning. If she updates her tired iPad, no doubt I could get that too.

You're right, the latest iMacs are on a par with the price of similar spec PC - and without the worry of compatibility and balance between components. I was pretty surprised when I compared prices.

She also uses Lightroom, so I know there's no issues there.

Yeah, storage is limited. I have more than 3tb of photos, videos, music and general documents, and the maximum internal SSD is 2tb, but I can split some of it on to an external SSD. Trouble is, I'll probably also need a large external HDD for the "Time Machine" backup?

One thing that does worry me is compatibilty of old MS Office files, but I'll just have to work through that on my Windows laptop.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Thanks for that, confirms much of what I've been thinking.

It would definitely be the M1 24" iMac, and my wife already has one on order. Larger versions are likely to be too expensive, when they eventually arrive.

What finally knocked my PC sideways was upgrading my camera to full-frame - the file size just slowed everything down. And yes, that means external drive(s) for some of my data.

At the moment, I can't see any reason for not jumping to Apple. Any problems or differences, and I'll just go with the flow! Basically, I want to spend my time using the software, not worrying about the operating system, so I'm expecting it to simplify my work. Any file compatibiltiy issues will have to be resolved on my laptop.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
This is my beef with Apple. The locking in to an 'eco system'. A very expensive eco system at that!

The way they hand out free iPads to a lot of youngsters starting University also feels like a drug pusher giving the first fix free, hoping you form a habit.

I can't send a simple audio file from my android phone to anyone on an iPhone via Bluetooth. What's that all about!?

When our daughter did her music degree, it was pretty clear that she'd be forced into moving away from Sibelius and getting a Mac as the vast majority of the work required Logic. I'm not a fan of that kind of aggressive placement.

Yeah, the idea of being locked in is why I've resisted so long, but I only share files with my wife, so this would simplify things. The equivalent cost of replacing my PC means this is now or never. I'm perfectly happy with my cheap Android phone, but no doubt at some point I'll migrate to a cast-off iPhone from my wife! No way would I pay for a new one. Ditto for her iPad.

If only Lightroom (and a few other apps) ran on Linux... :lolol:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Apple products about 75% more expensive than Microsoft equivalents.
Apple produce far less likely to get virus infected as Microsoft equivalents.
Apple products last at least twice as long as Microsoft equivalents.

I have a MacBook Air that cost me £750 some 11 years ago and still is superb. All my kids have had various Dell.Fujitsu blah de blah Windows machines; most of which, even with good AVS, don't and haven't worked inside five years.

No brainer.

TNBA

TTF

Sorry, missed this post before. Agree with most of that, except the generalisation of Apple cost vs Microsoft equivalents. For the type of desktop I'm looking at, the Apple equivalent is very competitive. And of course, the quality is excellent. But most products are over-priced, especially accessories. £179 for a keyboard with numeric keypad? WTF?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah, the idea of being locked in is why I've resisted so long, but I only share files with my wife, so this would simplify things. The equivalent cost of replacing my PC means this is now or never. I'm perfectly happy with my cheap Android phone, but no doubt at some point I'll migrate to a cast-off iPhone from my wife! No way would I pay for a new one. Ditto for her iPad.

If only Lightroom (and a few other apps) ran on Linux... :lolol:

Could Gimp replace Lightroom? Although I suppose it's then yet another new learning curve.

I'm very happy with Linux myself. Asunder and Kid3 take care of all my audio needs. I don't do a lot else on a computer to be fair. Quite happy with Libre Office too.

Each to their own though. Good luck with your move to the dark side :lol:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Could Gimp replace Lightroom? Although I suppose it's then yet another new learning curve.

I'm very happy with Linux myself. Asunder and Kid3 take care of all my audio needs. I don't do a lot else on a computer to be fair. Quite happy with Libre Office too.

Each to their own though. Good luck with your move to the dark side :lol:

No, I'm afraid not - another case of being "locked in". Lightroom isn't just a (very advanced) photo editor, it's a complete database for organising your photos. I'd be losing too much to abandon it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No, I'm afraid not - another case of being "locked in". Lightroom isn't just a (very advanced) photo editor, it's a complete database for organising your photos. I'd be losing too much to abandon it.

Oh dear.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Importing your FLAC files to i Tunes with the default AAC will lower the bit rate significantly, and you'll be into lossy territory over lossless. For you to have saved files as FLAC probably means you appreciate the jump in quality of lossless over lossy.

Seems you can import into i Tunes as WAV though, so no lowering of quality. But of course, WAV files are larger than FLAC, so you may run into space issues?

Does he need to convert? Will VLC Media player not still play them? I'm no expert so it's a genuine question, I know VLC is cross platform.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010

It's interesting comparing the apple fan (me) with the non apple fan's view. As I see it, and someone fully ingrained in the apple world, I see this as a massive benefit. To have everything working with everything else is fantastic. I go from one device to another and they are all talking to each other.

As I said above though I don't agree it's that expenisve when you compare like for like. Compare the best Samsung phone for example with the best iPhone and they really are not that far out.

I think apple will always create polarising views though ;)

schmunk

VAR is a net positive
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
As I said above though I don't agree it's that expenisve when you compare like for like. Compare the best Samsung phone for example with the best iPhone and they really are not that far out.

Yes, Samsung phones are also overpriced, and second to iPhones in being infuriating to use, once you've known better... :p

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Apple products about 75% more expensive than Microsoft equivalents.
Apple produce far less likely to get virus infected as Microsoft equivalents.
Apple products last at least twice as long as Microsoft equivalents.

I have a MacBook Air that cost me £750 some 11 years ago and still is superb. All my kids have had various Dell.Fujitsu blah de blah Windows machines; most of which, even with good AVS, don't and haven't worked inside five years.

No brainer.
TNBA

TTF

By comparison. I switched to a MacBook Pro in 2013 and had no end of issues with it. Would not connect to wifi for more than a few mins and Apple refused to acknowledge the issue. FINALLY fixed (assume by a software patch) some FOUR YEARS later. There were thousands of complaints online from people with similar issues and not a single response from Apple.

So this utopia people paint is not the case. They are providing high-end packaging in standard hardware, and providing strong legacy support (although not for my particular situation). My Mac still works, obviously a bit slow by modern comparison. That said, a well-maintained PC isn’t much different.

Macs do get viruses. They are barely more inherently secure than PCs. They are just more secure because they are targeted less - because there are FAR fewer out there than PCs. Security by obscurity isn’t actually security.

You can’t go wrong with a Mac or PC in my view. They are just tools. The Mac might cost more, and certainly bang for buck, some god-awful OEM PC will be ‘better value’. But then again, that’s also true of a pot noodle versus fresh artisan pasta. You pay your money, you make your choices :)

Currently I’m enjoying the MS Surface. Not quite as nice as a decent Mac or perhaps iPad Pro, but I’ve got everything on OneDrive, so fully in bed with the Devil.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here