Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Minamino to Brighton? Surely not.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
1729883374390.jpeg

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Maybe he was one on the data sheet and Pool nipped in first. This kind of proves why our model won’t work at the big clubs, the players never get sufficient game time to adapt to the PL.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I’ve read some articles about this theory over the years, and I’m sure @El Presidente knows more about this subject than I, but this is actually largely a myth.

Many clubs have tried this, but actually commercial income from merchandise and such is negligible compared to PL wages for an established player.

We’ve seen the interest in Mitoma from the Japanese market, and it’s great to “expand our brand” in Asia, but in reality that doesn’t directly equate to cash.

If you look at clubs like Manchester United, they are massive in Asia and Africa because they simply won everything for ages, and young people grew up with them on top and remained fans as adults.

When they actually tried to court those markets directly, they had very mixed results, Dong Fangzhou was a disaster, but Park Ji-sung worked because he was actually a good player, bought for the right reasons.

As for this specific player, we’re absolutely stacked in his position, he’d be one of the highest earners, and any income from merchandising would be minimal.
Expanding our brand internationally surely HAS to equate to cash, no? The big six have revenues that dwarf ours, and that's not solely through European competitions, gate receipts and TV revenue. Instead this divide is driven by commercial revenue of which international sponsorships, partnerships and so on must be a major factor.

1000019257.png

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Expanding our brand internationally surely HAS to equate to cash, no? The big six have revenues that dwarf ours, and that's not solely through European competitions, gate receipts and TV revenue. Instead this divide is driven by commercial revenue of which international sponsorships, partnerships and so on must be a major factor.

View attachment 191226
Absolutely it does, you’re right, but I’m talking specifically about direct causation between signing an international player and commercial income rising exponentially.

If you look at it in reverse, the massive and hugely expensive signings made in the USA and Saudi, but previously China, Japan and elsewhere, have had a negligible effect on commercial income for the teams involved. If I sign a, let’s say, Indian footballer on let’s say £20-£100k/wk, it isn’t going to translate to a massive uptick in income suddenly from India, and will be a loss-leader, not a profit-making business decision.

All of the big earners there are big brands, consistent trophy winners, with global reputations developed over multiple decades.

Commercial income comes hand in hand with success. Good management and business acumen, of which we have loads, can help us maximise our income from the markets we operate in, but we can’t compete with the most famous teams in the country on brand recognition no matter how many international names we sign.

We’ll never, ever, make money off the back of a player transfer solely in commercial returns.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Didn't think so, myself. Mind you, there might be some mileage in keeping the Japanese fans on line after we sell Mitoma (in the summer?) On balance though, it's a no and a sh!t story for me.
This looks like the only feasible justification for me. He doesn't fit our profile at all, how often do we sign 29-year-olds from clubs like Monaco? But if the club's decided our commercial appeal in Japan is important, then this is what might be happening.

Agree that on balance it's probably nonsense. Even if we were specifically looking for a Japanese player, I suspect Bloom's data would lead us to someone who represents better value and a greater chance of turning a profit.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Absolutely it does, you’re right, but I’m talking specifically about direct causation between signing an international player and commercial income rising exponentially.

If you look at it in reverse, the massive and hugely expensive signings made in the USA and Saudi, but previously China, Japan and elsewhere, have had a negligible effect on commercial income for the teams involved. If I sign a, let’s say, Indian footballer on let’s say £20-£100k/wk, it isn’t going to translate to a massive uptick in income suddenly from India, and will be a loss-leader, not a profit-making business decision.

All of the big earners there are big brands, consistent trophy winners, with global reputations developed over multiple decades.

Commercial income comes hand in hand with success. Good management and business acumen, of which we have loads, can help us maximise our income from the markets we operate in, but we can’t compete with the most famous teams in the country on brand recognition no matter how many international names we sign.

We’ll never, ever, make money off the back of a player transfer solely in commercial returns.
Yeah OK, thats fair enough, agree with your point - but I would just say that (i) we are coming from so far back that everything helps in this regard, and Brighton signing a high-profile overseas player moves the needle for us more than Man Utd doing the same does for them, (ii) Japan might be a special case as they go extreme for their stars (as we see every matchday at the Amex) and they are a rich country, and (iii) Mitoma isn't just any Japanese player but a star lighting up the premier league. I am convinced that more Japanese people are aware of us because we have Mitoma, that increases our brand recognition which in turn leads to more commercial opportunities. A quick google suggests that we picked up a commercial partnership with Google Pixel allied to the Japanese tour https://sportsmintmedia.com/brighto...ogle-pixel-ahead-of-pre-season-tour-to-japan/

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This looks like the only feasible justification for me. He doesn't fit our profile at all, how often do we sign 29-year-olds from clubs like Monaco? But if the club's decided our commercial appeal in Japan is important, then this is what might be happening.

Agree that on balance it's probably nonsense. Even if we were specifically looking for a Japanese player, I suspect Bloom's data would lead us to someone who represents better value and a greater chance of turning a profit.
I originally put this down as nonsense too but it’s a very strange story for someone to make up. I think there might be something in it……

Firstly, this signing DOES fit our profile but only if he comes on a free or is very cheap. Think ‘replacement for Lallana’. The Stains and Liverpool pedigree we’ve signed before is there too.

Secondly, there may well be a gap in our squad very soon as young Enciso looks like he needs a loan. Speaking of which……

IMG_5986.jpeg

Finally, he does seem to be getting better with age (like Welbeck). Like a fine aged Whisky, a Yamazaki 12yr Old for example.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
Yeah OK, thats fair enough, agree with your point - but I would just say that (i) we are coming from so far back that everything helps in this regard, and Brighton signing a high-profile overseas player moves the needle for us more than Man Utd doing the same does for them, (ii) Japan might be a special case as they go extreme for their stars (as we see every matchday at the Amex) and they are a rich country, and (iii) Mitoma isn't just any Japanese player but a star lighting up the premier league. I am convinced that more Japanese people are aware of us because we have Mitoma, that increases our brand recognition which in turn leads to more commercial opportunities. A quick google suggests that we picked up a commercial partnership with Google Pixel allied to the Japanese tour https://sportsmintmedia.com/brighto...ogle-pixel-ahead-of-pre-season-tour-to-japan/
Exactly. Signing Mitoma has raised our profile massively.

If kids in Japan aren’t already fans because of him then signing another Japanese star may well convert them.

We do seem to have a habit of buying multiple players from the same country too (which is clever for other reasons: settling in, retention etc)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here