Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Market Porter Closed Yesterday

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Did anyone find out why the MP was closed until 1pm due to "technical
reasons"? The cynical side of me suggests a childish ploy by the owners (or whoever) to stop footie fans taking it over from 11am and "ruining" the
atmosphere of the area.

I hope I am wrong.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Strange pub philosophy everywhere to be honest. We were in and about by 11.25am and only place we found serving before midday (apart from the touristy craphole Thameside Tavern) was the Brew Wharf. Wheatsheaf and Porter opened very late yesterday. Southwark Tavern had poster saying no visiting fans. Loads of market shoppers and footy folk early doors about yet most pubs won't open up til midday (or one in the case of the Porter). Had crawl round and did The Mudlark (always decent), the Mug House (strange pub, tankards a nice touch though), Honrnimans At Hay, Shipwrights, then Porter and Wheatsheaf after. Good day all round.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Total bellends at the MP especially the doorman with his stab-vest.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Sounds like we're getting a rep for taking loads away, which is obviously a two-edged sword ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Barrowman & Banker didn't have the capacity to pull ale.
So it was lager or bottled ale, having to be taken down from the above bar display!.

Maybe the 2 are connected.

I arrived at the Market Porter just after 1.40pm and found the service as quick and efficient as it's possible to be in such a crowded pub. The bar staff are consistently fast workers, and they keep a close eye on who should be next to get their attention.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They stopped serving in The Rake at 12.30 on police advice apparently. We were told all the Market area pubs were following suit till 3.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Had a great time in the bunch of grapes, loads of Albion, good beer and a decent atmosphere, even a bit of chanting.
Got chatting to an American chap in his 60's who had such a good time he tagged along to the ground, bought a ticket and watched the game with us. I did apologise for letting his first game of "soccer" be at Millwall, but it seems he thoroughly enjoyed himself !

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I arrived at the Market Porter just after 1.40pm and found the service as quick and efficient as it's possible to be in such a crowded pub. The bar staff are consistently fast workers, and they keep a close eye on who should be next to get their attention.
Lord B watch -

You also went to the Bunch of grapes after the match but left within 2 minutes of arriving which i found strange.

Lord B watch -

You also went to the Bunch of grapes after the match but left within 2 minutes of arriving which i found strange.
Indeed I did, after having a nice pint of Doom Bar in the King's Head. I was looking for someone who wasn't in the Bunch of Grapes - nor in the Market Porter (which is where I tried next).

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We did the victoria run, which was great. Went to weather spoons at the station and that wasnt too full, only Chelsea and a couple of west ham fans.

Interesting point which maybe bushy can answer.....the Chelsea fans we say all appeared hooray Henry's and henriettas....is the an fair distribution of fans now?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Always a good sign of a decent bar person. I HATE it when they look up, shrug and ask "Who is next?"

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sons went into Bunch of Grapes after the match and said that they closed at about 8.30 as the said that they were running out the lager they had delivered in the morning and the manager was worried about the safety of the staff.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
They stopped serving in The Rake at 12.30 on police advice apparently. We were told all the Market area pubs were following suit till 3.

That was nothing to do with police advise, purely the manager being a nob.

One of our party walked in to the pub and the usual greeting song about him being on the prowl was sung by about 3 people. Manager asks them to stop, one does not hear him, so he shut the pub. 40 or so people in their and yet he was happy to turn the revenue away. To top it off, we got talking to a bar maid and as he was shutting early he was not paying he staff for that time.

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København
Did anyone find out why the MP was closed until 1pm due to "technical
reasons"? The cynical side of me suggests a childish ploy by the owners (or whoever) to stop footie fans taking it over from 11am and "ruining" the
atmosphere of the area.

I hope I am wrong.

They said it was down to a gas leak.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Sons went into Bunch of Grapes after the match and said that they closed at about 8.30 as the said that they were running out the lager they had delivered in the morning and the manager was worried about the safety of the staff.

There was a bit of glass on the floor and a lot of singing outside, all good fun, nothing to endanger the staff. Talk about an overreaction.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That was nothing to do with police advise, purely the manager being a nob.

One of our party walked in to the pub and the usual greeting song about him being on the prowl was sung by about 3 people. Manager asks them to stop, one does not hear him, so he shut the pub. 40 or so people in their and yet he was happy to turn the revenue away. To top it off, we got talking to a bar maid and as he was shutting early he was not paying he staff for that time.

Ah that would explain things. We were on the next table and pissed off. I didn't get to try the Affligem blonde.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here