Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Manure

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Absolute rubbish. Complete rubbish. Nothing could be further from the truth. Let's take the 1992 Youth Cup side out of the equation (it was 21 years ago) and name me ONE player that could be considered world-class (or even best that England have to offer) that has come through the ranks since then?

I want just ONE player that you can name since that 92 side. 21 years worth of developing homegrown talent and allegedly the world's biggest football team. ONE player considered as world-class or top English player.

They have benefited from unlimited Sky money just at the right time - if the Sky money had been 7 years before Everton and Liverpool would have dominated English footie forever. Compared to Boro, Everton, Saints, Liverpool, Villa they have an appalling record of developing homegrown talent because they haven't needed to. They just buy who they want.

Jones, cleverly, brown, the Irish centre back who now plays at Sunderland
wellbeck ......

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Jones, cleverly, brown, the Irish centre back who now plays at Sunderland
wellbeck ......

All squad players, Albeit good squad players. They haven't produced a great talent since Beckham I would say.

Jones wasn't produced by them...he was bought for around £16m

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Southampton can boast amongst others Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wayne Bridge. 'Pioneering' Man U have got Wes Brown and Cleverly. I think my point stands

Haven't you forgotten

Fraizer Campbell
Darren Fletcher
Danny Welbeck

And how can your point stand ???

You asked for:-
I want just ONE player that you can name since that 92 side. 21 years worth of developing homegrown talent and allegedly the world's biggest football team. ONE player considered as world-class or top English player

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Haven't you forgotten

Fraizer Campbell
Darren Fletcher
Danny Welbeck

The clue is in the word 'top'. The list is going to be very long before those names come up in a list of England's top players in the last 21 years.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Haven't you forgotten

Fraizer Campbell
Darren Fletcher
Danny Welbeck

But you still haven't named one world class player or top english player.

By top we obviously mean in the category of Rooney, Owen, Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Terry, Ferdinand. Not one produced by United which is crazy.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

By top we obviously mean in the category of Rooney, Owen, Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Terry, Ferdinand. Not one produced by United which is crazy.

Quite. Let's take Wes Brown. 23 England caps in 11 years and 16 of them were friendlies. There's no way that it could be argued that he was anything but a fringe player, brought in to make up the numbers when the regular players didn't feel like playing.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

How many GREAT England Players have there been in that category that have come onto the international stage in the last 10 years?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
BZhoVksCIAAUUVB.jpg

Twats.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
How many GREAT England Players have there been in that category that have come onto the international stage in the last 10 years?

Not many.

Certainly none produced by Man Utd....the team who has dominated English football in that time.

That's the point.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Not many.

Certainly none produced by Man Utd....the team who has dominated English football in that time.

That's the point.

I would have thought that the point is that really great players aren't 'made' by youth schemes but rather nurtured.

All a good youth scheme can really do is develop the inherent talent of those in the academy - if the odd one turns out to have an exceptional talent then surely that is a matter of good luck rather than good management - and vice versa

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Absolute rubbish. Complete rubbish. Nothing could be further from the truth. Let's take the 1992 Youth Cup side out of the equation (it was 21 years ago) and name me ONE player that could be considered world-class (or even best that England have to offer) that has come through the ranks since then?

I want just ONE player that you can name since that 92 side. 21 years worth of developing homegrown talent and allegedly the world's biggest football team. ONE player considered as world-class or top English player.

They have benefited from unlimited Sky money just at the right time - if the Sky money had been 7 years before Everton and Liverpool would have dominated English footie forever. Compared to Boro, Everton, Saints, Liverpool, Villa they have an appalling record of developing homegrown talent because they haven't needed to. They just buy who they want.

One stat that was quoted after Ferguson's retirement and which was correct was that in every single league match (1500 games) that Ferguson managed Manchester United between 1986 and 2013, at least 1 player that came through Manchester United's youth system started in that game. Given that you have teams like Manchester City who are currently playing entire starting XIs of overseas players, I think that shows that they had more of a commitment to bringing through homegrown players than most and I would anticipate that some of the teams you mention above will not have always had the commitment to youth that they do now. Aston Villa are bringing through homegrown players now because Martin O'Neill chucked Randy Lerner's money away on average players. Even if they have not had any players in the past few years to quite compare with the 'Class of 92' crop (which was something of an anomaly), Manchester United are still bringing players through their system and giving them first team opportunities and the ones who don't make it at Old Trafford end up getting regular football elsewhere, whereas you tend to see promising youngsters at other clubs fall away and they sometimes end up playing in the Conference South or the Ryman League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here