Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last Week In Poland and a visit to Auschwitz- not pleasant reading!

Lush

Mods' Pet
Gully said:
One of the best books I have read, although not directly about prison camps, was "if not now, when", written by Primo Levi, he ultimately took his own life, I believe because of his guilt at surviving the holocaust, his words certainly made a lasting impression on me.

He also wrote "If This Is A Man" which IS all about the prison camps. How you are stripped of your humanity and what you have to do to survive and yet retain some scrap of human dignity.

It's a story, not a lecture - and I REALLY recommend it to anyone interested in the Holocaust - or history - or what makes us better or worse than animals.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Lush, I read another of his books called the Periodic Table, he was quite clearly a gifted author, made more remarkable when you understand the torment that he faced throughout most of his life. I haven't read the book you mention yet but will try to get a copy.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Rowley Birkin Q.C (Deceased) said:
Dave, i'm not having a go mate, but i don't think it is wholey appropriate to explain the awfulness of Auschwitz and then give us a rough guide on the best prices for dining out.

I was responding to a question from TLO. I assume the mods would have complained if I had started another thread in reply to his question . Sorry if my reply offended you in some way.

Rowley Birkin Q.C (Deceased) said:
Dave, i'm not having a go mate, but i don't think it is wholey appropriate to explain the awfulness of Auschwitz and then give us a rough guide on the best prices for dining out.

I can't believe you wrote that, and I would hope if you re-read the whole thread you would apologise to Dave for suggesting he has trivialised this very emotional, horrific and moving issue.
Dave's account has left me empty, and I can't imagine how he must be feeling after his experience so please do not criticise him for responding to a question.
Thanks Dave for your account. These horrors need to be highlighted so that we never forget, and never let them happen again.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Lokki 7 said:
I can't believe you wrote that, and I would hope if you re-read the whole thread you would apologise to Dave for suggesting he has trivialised this very emotional, horrific and moving issue.
Dave's account has left me empty, and I can't imagine how he must be feeling after his experience so please do not criticise him for responding to a question.
Thanks Dave for your account. These horrors need to be highlighted so that we never forget, and never let them happen again.

I'm afraid the type of bigotry that caused Auschwitz is still alive and kicking. Witness a story overheard in my office yesterday...

'This girl she pooed on the floor in the toilet ..... the cleaner caught her as she was leaving... and demanded that she pick it up. She said she couldn't because it was against her religion. Alright to poo on the floor but not alright to pick it up. Typical innit!'

Where do these ridiculous stories start? In the mouths of the naive matrons of fascism!:censored: :censored:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here