Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knight update......lets have a look first

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Leon Knight only committed himself to two months with Albion as a precaution after being 'stranded' on-loan at Sheffield Wednesday for the whole of last season, Steve Coppell says.

The 20-year-old Chelsea striker makes his Albion debut in the pre-season friendly at Barnet on Saturday hoping a permanent deal can be worked out at the end of his loan period.

Coppell believes Knight is testing the water, feeling once bitten, twice shy.

He said: "Leon is desperate to prove himself with us. It seems it has gone stagnant for him at Chelsea under the new regime.

"He didn't really show at Wednesday. It was a dormant season for him. I think he felt stranded having committed to all of the season with them.

"So we agreed a two-month deal so we could look at him and he could look at us."

Coppell declined to discuss whether Knight could move to Withdean on a permanent basis.

"There are a lot of issues. He has pace and is tricky but we both have to see if he can settle."

Coppell added: "He will play some part against Barnet but I haven't decided what part yet."

Centre-back Danny Cullip will continue on the sidelines.

The club's inspirational skipper has missed the friendlies at Crawley and Woking with a thigh problem.

Albion finish off their pre-season series at Yeovil next Friday and at home to Leicester on Monday week.

Coppell said: "I expect Danny to play again pre-season."

John Piercy misses the trip to Underhill with a stomach problem.

Coppell said: "We had tests done, he lost about half a stone. It has been diagnosed as colitis and should only keep him out for a week."

David Lee could miss the Barnet match with an ankle problem.

Coppell is set to give goalkeepers Michel Kuipers and Ben Roberts a game.

Albion will continue to play reserve matches at Worthing but Coppell is hoping for better conditions.

He said: "There wasn't one game on a decent surface where I could judge the players on football last season. Every game was either ankle deep in mud, bone hard because of frost or an end-of-the-season dust bowl.

"We've tried to help improve the pitch but we had to cancel a pre-season game because it wasn't ready."

Albion trialist Gaetano Gallianza will not be offered a deal.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Fair enough. Sounds like a good idea to me. If he turns out okay and gets regular first team football, then it sounds as if he'll sign. On the other hand, if he turns out to be pants then we're not lumbered with paying him all season a la Kitson.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
pasty said:
Fair enough. Sounds like a good idea to me. If he turns out okay and gets regular first team football, then it sounds as if he'll sign. On the other hand, if he turns out to be pants then we're not lumbered with paying him all season a la Kitson.

Summed it up in one.

Lets give him a trail.....should he be good enough im sure well sign him.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
knightjul25.jpg

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Maradona said:
Jugaba el abit en mis días más jóvenes

Maybe so, but then you turned into a fat cheating coke-head with a Messiah complex
:D

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think thgat this move by SC is a good one but I still believe that we need another striker. Pompey have three that would not be able to get in their side but might be the answer to our prayers; Lee Bradbuiry, Mark Burchill and Luke Nightingale. With the improved McPhee and Marney as back up in case of injuries or suspension I think that we would then be OK in that department. What about centre of defence if as is rumoured DC is going to join BZ. I must stress this is only a rumour that is going the rounds of Burgess Hill at the moment.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BensGrandad said:
Pompey have three that would not be able to get in their side but might be the answer to our prayers; Lee Bradbuiry, Mark Burchill and Luke Nightingale.

Doesn't Lee Bradbury now play for Sheffield Wednesday? Have to agree though, he would be a quality signing.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes!... we need a big centre forward to play alongside 5 feet 4 inch Leon... Chris McPhee may do it, but what if he gets injured... surely we now have the resources to get someone in... it's a very obvious gap in our squad...

PS. Ferrett is talking ar$e on this subject in his latest column...

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The consensus of opinion among the Huddersfield fans is that Knight plays better on the wing. He gets more goals that way and despite being a titch is good at heading them.

He doesn't play so well in the centre

I am quoting fans here (I haven't seen him play many games myself - only 2)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
That's interesting... which wing?...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here