Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Johnson to bring back Imperial units to honour the queen

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Have they got nothing better to do?

You start to worry about what / who is leading the country when they drop an anti EU trope from the 2000s to distract from other things.

It's pure desperation and evidence of them shoring up a hardcore vote / support.

I'd imagine the vast majority of Tory MPs are pulling their hair out.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Have they got nothing better to do?

they arent going to do anything, just stir up everyone. its so easy, trigger one group which amplifies a message to another.

schmunk

VAR is a net positive
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
And buy Jelly Babies by the quarter if you want. Except apparently in Burnley.

...and they're at it with milk too...

7306067-tesco-milk-jonathan-page-free.jpg

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Your posts are quite clear for everyone to read.

There can't be a 180 degree change because imperial was never criminalised.

Just be honest, you misunderstood the law.
For clarity. If a shopkeeper advertises his goods in imperial weights and only in imperial, he is committing a criminal offence. If he advertises his goods in imperial with the metric equivalent shown less prominently, then he is committing a criminal offence.

As for the patronising, don't bother. Water off a duck's back.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
We have always had dual units.I consider myself very lucky to be fully conversant in both metric and imperial , coming from a generation that was exposed to both. Funnily enough I use metres and centimetres for DIY, yards and feet for sports distances, miles for travelling. Degrees centigrade for work and cooking, degrees fahrenheit for weather. Grams and kilograms for cooking but stones and pounds for personal weight.
I really do embrace both so don't see the issue here. Oh, and I can convert one to other and vice-versa, which helps.

TNBA

TTF

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
For clarity. If a shopkeeper advertises his goods in imperial weights and only in imperial, he is committing a criminal offence. If he advertises his goods in imperial with the metric equivalent shown less prominently, then he is committing a criminal offence.

As for the patronising, don't bother. Water off a duck's back.

Glad you cleared that up :lolol:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Where I come from, a quarter of sweets means a quarter pound.

The good news is that if the sweets in question are Mint Imperials, they won't have to change.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We have always had dual units.I consider myself very lucky to be fully conversant in both metric and imperial , coming from a generation that was exposed to both. Funnily enough I use metres and centimetres for DIY, yards and feet for sports distances, miles for travelling. Degrees centigrade for work and cooking, degrees fahrenheit for weather. Grams and kilograms for cooking but stones and pounds for personal weight.
I really do embrace both so don't see the issue here. Oh, and I can convert one to other and vice-versa, which helps.

TNBA

TTF

And you did all that while it was ILLEGAL :eek:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You have a few days left to launch a private prosecution. With so many people objecting to the repeal of this law, I wonder it hasn't been done already.

There isn't a repeal. There is a review.

It will probably come to the conclusion that enforcement of weights and measures legislation would become way too expensive and any changes will be silently dropped.

We're also going to look a bit silly trading abroad if the Government gives exporters "the right" not to sell in metric measures.

It doesn't matter what a unified measurement is, but bringing "choice" to it in terms of trade is laughable.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
they arent going to do anything, just stir up everyone. its so easy, trigger one group which amplifies a message to another.

Why are the Government actively pursuing purely divisive policies? We should be better than this.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Why are the Government actively pursuing purely divisive policies? We should be better than this.

Because they have run out ideas and are acting like an administration heading for a decade in the wilderness. Their only strategy is to harden their core vote.

Specifically they have no long term plan for the country outside of the EU.

It was supposed to be about innovation and the future, but they've turned it into a pointless nostalgia trip mostly concerned with the colour of passports and non existent legislation surrounding pounds and ounces.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
How far should an opposition footballer be from the ball when a free kick is taken?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here