Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Slade Too Soft?

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Seems like a nice bloke, maybe too nice. There was a lot of talk when he arrived about the players needing a manager to put his arm around shoulders and give them gentle encouragement. After last nights first half performance I would have thought that hands round throats would have been more appropriate.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Does not sound it to me reading this

Albion boss Russell Slade lambasted his charges after an abject performance at Walsall tonight, where the Seagulls slipped to an extremely disappointing 3-0 defeat.

"It was inexcusable, particularly the first half when I thought that we were very very poor," Slade told seagulls.co.uk. "We rallied a little bit in the second period but the damage had already been done.

"We created all our own problems. It wasn't like we didn't know there would be a backlash from Walsall [after Saturday's 5-0 defeat]. We told the players that the first 20 minutes would be an important period of the game, that was when the damge was done and it was an uphill battle after that.

"We try to prepare them and focus them in the right manner but some of them have clearly not taken that onboard. So if they are not taking that onboard then we will have to make changes.

"I cannot understand how we can throw in that sort of first half performance on the back of what we achieved 72 hours ago. It is quite incredible really, but it shows our weakness in terms of character and mental strength. That is something that we need to address immediately."

The Albion boss has warned his players they will be playing League Two football if they turn in more similar performances. "If we play like we did in the first half tonight, then every game is going to be difficult.

"We have to be much much better than that. In the short period that I have been here the players have shown me that they are capable of better - there is no doubt about that - it was a disappointing performance and a disappointing night and with ten games to go we need to move on, we need to be positive and we need to play an awful lot better.

"I didn't really feel that the corner had been turned on Saturday because it was a poor Yeovil side that we got a result against. I knew there would be a bit of a backlash from Walsall tonight and so I knew it would be difficult. One swallow doesn't make a summer and so it proved to be."

Slade has called his players in for extra training tomorrow and can certainly be expected to make changes ahead of Saturday's trip to Scunthorpe.

He added, "We are going to have to work on it in the few days between now and the next game. We will be back to the training ground tomorrow where we will start again, get back to basics and it will be a clean canvas for one or two of them as well."

"I have stuck by one or two familiar faces over recent games and now it will be an opportunity for one or two others. I thought that Tommy came on and put in a decent 45 minutes for us, so he gives himself half a chance of playing on Saturday for example."

Slade will have Adam Virgo available, after the defender served the final game of a five-match ban; while striker Glenn Murray and goalkeeper Michel Kuipers are both edging closer to fitness, and could be ready in time for Saturday.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
well, he hasnt come out and said he is going to give the players a cuddle, so it is certainly an improvement

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Does not sound it to me reading this

Albion boss Russell Slade lambasted his charges after an abject performance at Walsall tonight, where the Seagulls slipped to an extremely disappointing 3-0 defeat.

"It was inexcusable, particularly the first half when I thought that we were very very poor," Slade told seagulls.co.uk. "We rallied a little bit in the second period but the damage had already been done.

"We created all our own problems. It wasn't like we didn't know there would be a backlash from Walsall [after Saturday's 5-0 defeat]. We told the players that the first 20 minutes would be an important period of the game, that was when the damge was done and it was an uphill battle after that.

"We try to prepare them and focus them in the right manner but some of them have clearly not taken that onboard. So if they are not taking that onboard then we will have to make changes.

"I cannot understand how we can throw in that sort of first half performance on the back of what we achieved 72 hours ago. It is quite incredible really, but it shows our weakness in terms of character and mental strength. That is something that we need to address immediately."

The Albion boss has warned his players they will be playing League Two football if they turn in more similar performances. "If we play like we did in the first half tonight, then every game is going to be difficult.

"We have to be much much better than that. In the short period that I have been here the players have shown me that they are capable of better - there is no doubt about that - it was a disappointing performance and a disappointing night and with ten games to go we need to move on, we need to be positive and we need to play an awful lot better.

"I didn't really feel that the corner had been turned on Saturday because it was a poor Yeovil side that we got a result against. I knew there would be a bit of a backlash from Walsall tonight and so I knew it would be difficult. One swallow doesn't make a summer and so it proved to be."

Slade has called his players in for extra training tomorrow and can certainly be expected to make changes ahead of Saturday's trip to Scunthorpe.

He added, "We are going to have to work on it in the few days between now and the next game. We will be back to the training ground tomorrow where we will start again, get back to basics and it will be a clean canvas for one or two of them as well."

"I have stuck by one or two familiar faces over recent games and now it will be an opportunity for one or two others. I thought that Tommy came on and put in a decent 45 minutes for us, so he gives himself half a chance of playing on Saturday for example."

Slade will have Adam Virgo available, after the defender served the final game of a five-match ban; while striker Glenn Murray and goalkeeper Michel Kuipers are both edging closer to fitness, and could be ready in time for Saturday.

OK, he's saying the right things to us, that's not my point.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I love Slade, he tells it how it is. I agree that some players should not be evenn wearing the shirt and has opened up opportunities for others.

To not even be able to follow a simole managment request comes down to attitude and or their Apptitude. If its the latter, its time for a reality check and ecide their individual career path they "should" take away from football.

I am loving the way the Way at this stage Slade from what it appears, is managing these individuals.

Well done Russ and kick ass man!

wizo7

Man Met Massive
Dec 17, 2008
Bolney
Don't think slade is a soft touch at all. He has come out and said the right things to the medai. And after hearing an interview with coxy recently he seems to have the players working like animals in training. He said he comes home exhausted and has to have an afteroon nap now! right man for the job for me.

:albion2:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Don't think slade is a soft touch at all. He has come out and said the right things to the medai. And after hearing an interview with coxy recently he seems to have the players working like animals in training. He said he comes home exhausted and has to have an afteroon nap now! right man for the job for me.

:albion2:

awwwww...poor little love, perhaps Cox can request a day off in his hectic week to recuperate!

Unbelievable!!!!
:censored:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

The fact that he is saying what he did to the press suggests to me that he's been slapping them around in closed doors.

Of course, we'll never really know for sure.

What is your point exactly? Slade criticised some of the defending when we won 5-0, has criticised the players rightly after the shocking effort yesterday, and has got the players in for extra training today. He's shown far more signs that he's hard on the players than soft, so I don't really see what could possibly give you the opinion that he's being too soft on the players?

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I get the impression that he is not a shout and ball type manager. I reckon he does the calmly menacing thing and then works the players like buggery. I like him and he will sort this lot out.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
what are you basing that on? just wondering like

a few decent interviews and everyone is lining up to pull his pants down! he will ultimately be judged on results surely?

Apart from his successful track-record at a clubs with (even) smaller resources than ours: I like his honesty; positivity; his willingness to 'call it like it is' (ie without the bullshit); & his intent - with regards to making the necessary changes to our side when individuals fail to perform.

I realise he's only been here 5 minutes, but I personally sense that he has all the right credentials to turn our bunch of under & non-achievers into a decent side. Whether he has enough time to do it now is another matter, but I think at least we have a chance with him in charge. We'll just have to see eh?

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton

Mmmmm.......... try cycling 100 miles every day for 3 weeks, and a lot of it over alpine mountains and just to be able to hang on to the back of the peleton.......... footballers don't know how easy they have it, 2-3 hours training a day!:shrug:
Playing professional sport, representing a city or club/sponsors is a great privilege not a right as a lot of players will realize in the summer when they are looking for 'real' work. Slade has it right and yes, cox should need a nap after training rather than going to the pub/golf course if he's put in the right amount of effort, just shows how cushy they've had it before at this club.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I've got more confidence in him than any other manager since Wilkins.

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
i've got more confidence in him than any other manager since wilkins.

home sweet home 2.jpg

So have I, apparantly the first team are joining me here and the youth team are goin to keep us up !!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here