Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is hating Palarce heriditary?

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
I have loved my Brighton since I was 12 and have hated Palarse since the 70's! I have a scar on my back reminding me of some of our confrontations! however the years have mellowed me, my Godson is a Palace supporter and I have even taken him to watch Palace matches when he was a kid and have loads of mates who are Palarse supporters. My two kids have probably watched Brighton play 15times at most (live in Cornwall) but I posted on Facebook tonight some innocent comment about tomorrows match and was staggered by the response of my kids (21+22) to some of the vitriol coming from our so called friends. I felt a strange sort of pride at their robust defence and even forgave some of their inappropriate comments regarding their heritage! where does this come from?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It can't be hereditary. My old man, said be a Palace fan...

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
It seems that you have raised them well. :thumbsup:

Well I thank you Jay for your very kind comments. This hatred that I have suppressed for many years is now coming to the surface yet again and I so want us to stuff the vermin tomorrow! oh dear time for medication and bed... Nurse, nurse....

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I wouldn't say it was hereditary but down to good education, my old man wasn't a football fan, I chose brighton to support being my home town team, I'm only 34 so too young to remember how and why the rivalry became so, for me it is purely down to the stories and events that have happened, I've brought into it and feel, not a hatred per se, but a rivalry that is long known.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Interesting question.

My kids don't support the Albion, or even like football. But they hate Palarse.

And don't forget that hating Palarse is by no means something we can claim to be exclusively ours. Millwall, Charlton, Wimbledon, all regard Croydon FC to be pond life.
Even when they were losing their Man Utd Cup Final, I don't remember the country cheering the chirpy underdogs from south London.

So, perhaps hating this mob is just the natural way of things, rather than being an hereditory trait associated with Sussex, or Brighton in particular.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It's in the genes , [MENTION=4313]RM-Taylor[/MENTION] hates Palace too :clap2:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I have loved my Brighton since I was 12 and have hated Palarse since the 70's! I have a scar on my back reminding me of some of our confrontations! however the years have mellowed me, my Godson is a Palace supporter and I have even taken him to watch Palace matches when he was a kid and have loads of mates who are Palarse supporters. My two kids have probably watched Brighton play 15times at most (live in Cornwall) but I posted on Facebook tonight some innocent comment about tomorrows match and was staggered by the response of my kids (21+22) to some of the vitriol coming from our so called friends. I felt a strange sort of pride at their robust defence and even forgave some of their inappropriate comments regarding their heritage! where does this come from?

It's hereditary in the upthealbion household, my 9 year old hates palace almost as much as I do :)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
And don't forget that hating Palarse is by no means something we can claim to be exclusively ours. Millwall, Charlton, Wimbledon, all regard Croydon FC to be pond life.

Indeed. Lovely moment in the kitchen at work yesterday. I'd gone in to make myself a coffee and there was a new guy in there so I said hello and introduced myself. He then saw my Albion mug and said "Ah excellent, another Palace hater! Turns out he is a Charlton fan.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Indeed. Lovely moment in the kitchen at work yesterday. I'd gone in to make myself a coffee and there was a new guy in there so I said hello and introduced myself. He then saw my Albion mug and said "Ah excellent, another Palace hater! Turns out he is a Charlton fan.

I do sometimes wonder if Palace are anyone's "second team".There was a list produced a few years back that I seem to remember had us sixth out of the 92 league clubs in being fans "second team" i.e. one they didn't support but kind of admired. Can't remember where Palace were.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here