Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you were Gus - what would YOU do for the replay

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I
I was referring to the finishing line up and the substitution after they scored which was at best baffling, and at the worst, arrogant and potentially damaging.

Intelligent substitution... he HAD to take Buckley off to protect him as our only fit winger...

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
Intelligent substitution... he HAD to take Buckley off to protect him as our only fit winger...

Vicente was on the bench against Southampton and, apparently was due to come on before Greer was sent off, there is also a cracking little player in the dev squad called George Barker, definitely one for the future...... I take your point but it would seem Gus doesn,t agree with you as there were no out and out wingers on the bench yesterday were there?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
No replays from today's games so I suspect we'll be on the telly? Will that change Gus's thinking?

It might. Imagine ITV bigging up their replay and then the kids running out...they'd put pressure on FA to throw the book at us. Basically, we're f**ked whatever we do. It's going to be a very heavy pitch as well, there's been loads of rain up there and Morrell said they might train on it to make it worse...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Let's wait and see who we could potentially face in the 4th round prior to any decisions on team selections.

Am I right in thinking this helps with Greers suspension ?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
It might. Imagine ITV bigging up their replay and then the kids running out...they'd put pressure on FA to throw the book at us. Basically, we're f**ked whatever we do. It's going to be a very heavy pitch as well, there's been loads of rain up there and Morrell said they might train on it to make it worse...

No they wouldnt, theyd be delighted at the proapect of an upset due to the kids playing. We played a terrible side on tv in the 2nd round last season.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
No they wouldnt, theyd be delighted at the proapect of an upset due to the kids playing. We played a terrible side on tv in the 2nd round last season.

An upset against a team comprised only of teenagers isn't an upset, though.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I would still play the development/reserve squad regardless of drawing the Toon at home. Saturday was the time to play a strong side and win the game, but the fixtures come thick and fast through the remainder of January and I wouldn't want to risk further injuries & suspensions.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
After that draw, he should play the first team - let's try and get the Toon at Falmer.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
After looking at the Championship table we probably only need a maximum of five wins to maintain Championship status. Is there an argument for going balls deep against Wrexham and concentrating on a FA Cup run based on the theory that survival is almost certainly guaranteed and promotion would be far too early for us.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I think he's got to go for it now, and play the strongest team.

It's a hard one for Gus, and one I'm afriad he cannot win, as whatever he does he'll get stick for it.

But the fact we have drawn on of the biggest sides in the premiership, at home with a guaranteed full ticket price sell out, suggests he will have to play the strongest side he can in the reply.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
After looking at the Championship table we probably only need a maximum of five wins to maintain Championship status. Is there an argument for going balls deep against Wrexham and concentrating on a FA Cup run based on the theory that survival is almost certainly guaranteed and promotion would be far too early for us.

Very interesting line of thought. I think you may have hit the nail on the head there

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I can appreciate resting players to keep them fresh but I have never been convinced about protecting players from injury. We rested Lua Lua last season and the next game he broke his leg. Injuries are down to bad luck more than pitch hours. If anything Id say Buckley needs games.

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
Spot on sir!!

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
If they were all fit I'd play the 1st 11, but they're never all fit at the same time and this is the problem. How can they get an understanding when the team is never the same? Still some of the young un's are showing the way in the last couple of games.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If Gus wants to put out the development squad then he should be allowed to. Nothings changed just because we have drawn Newcastle has it ? It`ll do them the world of good conceding 6 at home in front of a packed house and maybe millions watching on national television.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here