Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you were Gus - what would YOU do for the replay

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think Gus has made some mistakes this season, but I felt genuinely sorry for the bloke yesterday. Our crippling list of injuries and suspensions has left him between a rock and a hard place - and a decent draw and potential opponent in 4th round later could make it worse.

It must be double figures, our injuries/bans, and that is making the main job of doing okay in the first season back in the Championship difficult enough.

Gus admitted yesterday his instincts were to play ALL the kids for the Wrexham match, but after reading all the usual press about disrespecting the FA Cup last week went against his better judgment and played far more senior players than intended.

The result? A desperate injury to a key player, a rejuvenated LuaLua. After that, there is no way Mackail-Smith was coming on, and there is no way Buckley was staying on.

He hinted he might play all the kids for the replay, the clear implication being we cannot afford any more injuries to first-teamers, not a single one. He might get the club fined for that. What would you do?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Depends on the 4th round draw.

If we get a chance to test ourselves against Premier League opposition again I'd like to think we'd play a strong team

dgh123

Aug 7, 2011
I would stick a good side out, comprising of experience and youth, so not a 100% first team, just one that will do the job...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure some 50-50 side is enough, Wrexham are better than that. You either commit fully to win the game and play the best team, OR you play the kids. It's one or the other for this game, and I think it's a very tough call at the moment.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Id play the kids regardless of the draw. We cant afford any more injuries and to be honest a big draw 4 days before Palace away would be a disaster imo.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Who we draw in the 4th round should be completely irrelevant. He should put a team out to win the game.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Who we draw in the 4th round should be completely irrelevant. He should put a team out to win the game.

I don't think there was a master plan to get a draw yesterday to be fair to Gus. He thought the team would have been strong enough to beat Wrexham, if Kaz had been fit for all 90 minutes he may have been right.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I don't think there was a master plan to get a draw yesterday to be fair to Gus. He thought the team would have been strong enough to beat Wrexham, if Kaz had been fit for all 90 minutes he may have been right.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Some of the kids are better than some of our reg's, so whatever team he puts out it will be difficult to tell if he's putting a strong or weakened team out

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

I agree. I wasn't insinuating he didn't put a team out to win yesterday. What I meant was to those saying "lets see who we draw first" that the draw should have no influence on the team Gus puts out for the replay.

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
I think it was a mistake to play so many youngsters yestreday, Gus got away with it because 1-1 in the end wasn't a bad result considering. If they'd got hammered 1-4 it could have seriously destroyed some of those young lads confidence.
Gus should take a leaf out of Martin O'neill's book, he's fielding a full strength team against Peterborough in an attempt to maintain the momentum of their league form. Momentum is a wonderful thing and I think we missed a trick to build on our glorious victory over the Saints, I take your point about injuries but surely less games means less injuries and a win yesterday would have meant no trip to Wrexham where at least some 1st teamers will have to be risked.

Also to those that booed at the end..........hang your heads!!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think it was a mistake to play so many youngsters yestreday, Gus got away with it because 1-1 in the end wasn't a bad result considering. If they'd got hammered 1-4 it could have seriously destroyed some of those young lads confidence.
Gus should take a leaf out of Martin O'neill's book, he's fielding a full strength team against Peterborough in an attempt to maintain the momentum of their league form. Momentum is a wonderful thing and I think we missed a trick to build on our glorious victory over the Saints, I take your point about injuries but surely less games means less injuries and a win yesterday would have meant no trip to Wrexham where at least some 1st teamers will have to be risked.

Also to those that booed at the end..........hang your heads!!

I would disagree with the analysis that he played too many kids yesterday. He only started with two, both in defence (where we had a genuine crisis), and further up the pitch it was all seniors apart from JF-C, who played and scored against Saints.

You could argue that as the two other kids were ready to come on when Wrexham scored, maybe he should have gone for more experience and changed his mind. But I am sure the LuaLua injury influenced that decision.

Compared to what he wanted to do, it was almost a team of pensioners. The replay may be different.

Last edited:

Stumpy Tim

He should either put out a full-team or all the kids. The problem with half and half is that they don't know each other well enough, so we look even weaker. When all 6 kids were on we looked much better as the midfield knew what they were doing. Beforehand it was a little all over the place

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
i'm sure it will be a very young/weakened side, but personally i think we should go there with a strong side and go for the win, i think most people (including players) wouldn't mind a decent cup run....

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
I would disagree with the analysis that he played too many kids yesterday. He only started with two, both in defence (where we had a genuine crisis), and further up the pitch it was all seniors apart from JF-C, who played and scored against Saints.

You could argue that as the two other kids were ready to come on when Wrexham scored, maybe he should have gone for more experience and changed his mind. But I am sure the LuaLua injury influenced that decision.

Compared to what he wanted to do, it was almost a team of pensioners. The replay may be different.
I
I was referring to the finishing line up and the substitution after they scored which was at best baffling, and at the worst, arrogant and potentially damaging.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here