Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I am off beuajolis Tasting now.........

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
tedebear said:
I used to regularly play the £10 a bottle game at our old Thursday night club years ago - you'd have to find the best bottle of wine for under £10 (and keep the receipt to prove it) - its amazing what good quality unknown stuff is out there very cheap!!

Plenty of good wine under £10. The real struggle is to find good wine under £5 - there's not much out there.

Southern French are amazing value: not big names but some lovely wines.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Gwylan said:
Plenty of good wine under £10. The real struggle is to find good wine under £5 - there's not much out there.

Southern French are amazing value: not big names but some lovely wines.

Hmmm I've not gone that low so to speak :lol: Thanks for the tip :cool:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Gwylan said:

You live in the wrong country. Plenty of very drinkable stuff in the €4-5 range over here.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Trufflehound said:
You live in the wrong country. Plenty of very drinkable stuff in the €4-5 range over here.

Depends what duty you're paying? The reason it's so hard in the UK is that there's a shedload of duty to pay and then because of property costs, the retailer takes a higher margin than on the Euroepean mainland.

That's why it's impossible to find any halfway drinkable wine under £4 in the UK - after deducting duty and retailing margin, the wine itself is dirt cheap.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
The Auditor said:
Wheres here?

Holland. We pay about the same figure in euros as the UK pays in pounds for the equivalent wine... Lower duty, AND the supermarkets have been involved in a price war for the last 2 years. :thumbsup:

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
They are going mental over the Beujoulais over here in Japan at the moment. It seems every shop is getting in on the action from Department stores to convenience stores and my local drug store! Tenner a bottle.

ChapmansThe Saviour said:
It's all about the Corbieres wines.

Yummy.

I prefer Fitou, just because if you ask for it in Finland it sounds the same as their word for !!!!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I find i can't stick with a particular wine, my taste tends to change from month to month, week to week and sometimes bottle to bottle.

At the moment i'm enjoying some oaky riocas due to the fact that someone gave me 4 crates of mixed riocas a couple of weeks ago, and before that it was spicy new world zinfandels.

Surely, a few young french reds go down well occasionally.

And, as other prople have said, i find that you can buy good wine for £ 5 - £10 a bottle (and sometimes under £5 if you are lucky), and there is very little difference between a good £10 bottle and a good £50 bottle, except i enjoy the cheaper one more because i haven't been taken for a dwayne.

:drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here