Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many of you went to the Charity Shield match in 1910?

Were you there?

• Yes and I'm still in fine fettle

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • No I was killed in the Boer War

Votes: 25 41.0%
  • No I was just a glint in the milkman's eye

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • I missed it due to the simultaneous national village idiot trials being held in Droitwich

Votes: 13 21.3%

• Total voters

Webb OUT :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Actually,the game two days earlier was much more fun when Jonesy got the first half penalty though Borient reckoned it was never a foul.Hit it to the goalies left.Brilliant times.1-0.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Screaming J said:
Well I was watching us beat Villa 1-0 at Stamford Bridge; don't know what game you were at!
Well I am VERY old and my memory isn't what it was. It must have been that whack from a cudgel...

(Probably confusing it with an FA Cup final I went to when my Dad was in the Royal Engineers ...)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Dick Knights Mum said:
No - but I have held the Charity Shield and polished our name.
Did you pull some bird either immediately before or after doing this? :jealous: :wave:

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
if kuipers was in goal villa would have conceded the game....before kick off

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Yes, I remember it well, it was shortly after we submitted plans for a new 23,000 all seater stadium at Falmer, you wont believe it but a Baker of Normal extraction led the nimby vote, but I told em, we'd win eventually

:shootself

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Didnt we win that, BTW

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I was a bit disappointed in the pre match entertainment. The gentleman in the top hat riding around on a pennyfarthing is so 1890s. Typical FA not giving the punters value for money. Where's the originality these days?

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
But John Robson was manager.
Yeah, Webb was the goal scorer! Tch, these johnny-come-lately fans, I bet some people posting in this thread weren't even AT the game!

PS - In the press report of the game (this is true) it said that Webb 'frequently got his line moving in business-like fashion'. Shows how tactics and formations have changed, probably the only time a forward 'line' is referred to nowadays is when people say a striker 'leads the line well'.

Bring back center-forwards, inside rights, outside lefts and half-backs, then we'll see some REAL football not this poncy 'strikers, midfielders and defenders' Euro-style we have now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Brovian said:
Yeah, Webb was the goal scorer! Tch, these johnny-come-lately fans, I bet some people posting in this thread weren't even AT the game!

PS - In the press report of the game (this is true) it said that Webb 'frequently got his line moving in business-like fashion'. Shows how tactics and formations have changed, probably the only time a forward 'line' is referred to nowadays is when people say a striker 'leads the line well'.

Bring back center-forwards, inside rights, outside lefts and half-backs, then we'll see some REAL football not this poncy 'strikers, midfielders and defenders' Euro-style we have now.

Hardly a suprise there were so many goal hangers and the offside law had to be introduced. Old style 2-3-5 is the way to go without a doubt, a bit like Tottenham under Ardiles. :)

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Icy Gull said:
Hardly a suprise there were so many goal hangers and the offside law had to be introduced. Old style 2-3-5 is the way to go without a doubt, a bit like Tottenham under Ardiles. :)
Actually I think the offside law has always been in existence. I could be wrong but I think originally it was offside if you kicked the ball forward! Didn't the rule in 1910 say there had to be three players between the attacker and the goal? (Later amended to 2?)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Brovian said:
Actually I think the offside law has always been in existence. I could be wrong but I think originally it was offside if you kicked the ball forward! Didn't the rule in 1910 say there had to be three players between the attacker and the goal? (Later amended to 2?)

Ah I was thinking of the Sheffield law obviously :lolol:

From Wilkpedia-

the original Sheffield Rules had no offside, and players known as "kick throughs" were positioned permanently near the opponents' goal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here