Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Headphone Recommendations

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I had a pair of Jabra Elite Actives (£165) die on me recently so was in the market for some in ear replacements.

After some research I settled with these , quarter of the price and no real noticable difference in sound quality.

Have a read of the reviews, they come out quite good in the sub £100 market. As much as these are technically in ear they are tiny and you don’t even notice them in

I’ve also got a pair of wireless JBL noise cancelling overhead phones for home use but the Jbuds are great for gym and on the go and the case is tiny despite the great battery life
JLab are good IMO, I’ve got the sport type

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Oh wise persons of NSC

I‘m looking for a pair of wireless headphones for my son.
Whilst his hearing is fine he suffers with ear infections a lot and in ear plugs seem to aggravate this.

Much of his music comes via like of Spotify through his phone, not sure if that makes much difference.

He‘s soon to be off for a holiday he’s been saving for for flaming ages. So, I’d really like to treat him to a pair so he can enjoy the use and not cause ear problems.

I can’t afford silly money, but likewise don’t want to buy ‘too cheap’. Is a budget of £100 realistic? If so do any of you experts out there have any recommendations of makes/models worth considering?
Happy to recommend these i bought recently 👍

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
I'd highly recommend some of the Bose noise cancelling headphones.

I got them free years ago with my phone and they're really good, comfortable, good sound and excellent noise cancelling.

schmunk

VAR is a net positive
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Decent brand, well-regarded, good battery life, noise cancellation and on a bit of a discount.

If you don't trust your son to look after them, these are a good buy for half the price. (No noise cancellation)

My son has the cheaper ones, or something very similar from Sony, and they are surprisingly good, in all respects. I'd be loath to spend any more.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I have eczema in my ears which is aggravated by most buds but also over ear headphones make my ears too hot which aggravates them.

I’ve used Bose headphones for years as although they are described as in ear, they sit just outside the ear canal so not as far into the ear as other buds

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Audio Technica M40's will be within your budget, M50's are better if you can stretch it and if your son will appreciate the extra.
M40's about £95, M50's about £125.

Bose have always served me well but will be pricey, Sennheiser are decent and Sony have a cracking range no matter what your budget is.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I had an issue with in ear pods as they kept falling out and hurt after a few hours use so I bought a soundpeats open ear headphones which are mostly for joggers or cycling. They don't touch your ears and you hardly notice your wearing them, and they good for work meetings as you can still hear sound around you or if someone speaks to you

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I got a pair of JVC wireless headphones from B&M Stores for fifteen quid. Wear them for 90-120 mins everyday in the gym and they get a fair amount of wear and tear, general abuse and a lot of sweat and they are spot on, to be honest.

Last edited:

Snowflake

Jan 11, 2018
Decent brand, well-regarded, good battery life, noise cancellation and on a bit of a discount.

If you don't trust your son to look after them, these are a good buy for half the price. (No noise cancellation)

I can only agree with Bozza on this. Sony at this

i can only agree with Bozza. Sony are the best out there at the moment and in part the the lower end of the range. I have an old YKG Y500 noise cancelling headphones that are brilliant(they really are!) they aren’t wireless. Which is why I don’t use them. I’d happily donate to you if you could make them work for you.

Snowflake

Jan 11, 2018
I can only agree with Bozza on this. Sony at this

i can only agree with Bozza. Sony are the best out there at the moment and in part the the lower end of the range. I have an old YKG Y500 noise cancelling headphones that are brilliant(they really are!) they aren’t wireless. Which is why I don’t use them. I’d happily donate to you if you could make them work for you

schmunk

VAR is a net positive
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
For anyone using in-ear buds, I can strongly recommend getting some Comply foam tips to replace the standard silicone ones. They are soft foam which you squeeze before inserting - they expand back to gently fill your ear canal, hugely reducing outside noise and improving bass response.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I will always recommend Soundcore if you’re on a bit of a budget. Very good, always well reviewed for the price point and they have started selling spare parts for them as well.

As others have said, Sony will do you very well too and if you go up to the £200-300 range they have some incredible headphones

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Another vote for Bose noise canceling. I have the QC35II. Might be a little beyond your budget brand new but I suspect you can get some on eBay. Bose also do factory refurbished which might save you some money.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
AKG have made some of the best headphones in recent years . . . But mostly wired.

I'd start by reading here . . .then look at '23 & '22 reviews sometime you can pick up last years model at a bargain price. I'd buy new, some people ( like my son) wear them a lot ad battery life dimiishes . . . . . . Also worth noting repeat award winners . . . . .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How old is your son? If he’s a teen then I’m not sure asking a load of middle-aged men on a football chat room will help. He’ll want the latest trend.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Mistley Essex
Highly recommend Soundcore ,wife and I both use them and really happy with them . Good sound ,long battery life and cheap . Use mine every day and never had a problem

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here