Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Greatest debut single

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There’s loads I can think of but three which came out of nowhere and shook things up are:

Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK
Frankie - Relax
Kraftwerk - Autobahn.

Last one is their debut single but it took them until their 3rd album to release a single.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
How can this be overlooked. Saw the original line up at the original Roundhouse.

I was trying to remember their first single as they were my all time favourite punk band. I saw them on their first tour , but I'm unsure if they went back to NYC in between the Roundhouse gig and that. John Robb's book has a great description of the Roundhouse gig and the disbelief of the British punk bands about how fast the Ramones were playing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Greatest DEBUT singles
All the singles I have posted are debut singles.

Many singles have been posted, by me and by others.

Together they are a candidate list of greatest debut singles.

At least one poster has included several singles in one post, yet you pick on me. Am I Zeberdi in disguise? ???

The one quibble about what I have posted may be The Fall. It depends whether you call an e.p. a single. I don't. So what I posted was their (amazing) debut single that was an ear worm for me for months (the singing bit at the end of the track).

Look, you know what I'm like. I only piss about when I'm pissing about. (I learned how to not abuse the daily best track thread the hard way). At all other times I'm deadly serious. And pedantic. And rude. So f*** off :wink: :kiss:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was trying to remember their first single as they were my all time favourite punk band. I saw them on their first tour , but I'm unsure if they went back to NYC in between the Roundhouse gig and that. John Robb's book has a great description of the Roundhouse gig and the disbelief of the British punk bands about how fast the Ramones were playing.
And the set comprised of about 20 songs, without a break for breath, and lasted a full 35 minutes. It was mental. Can't recall which of the gigs this was. Evidently a Sunday afternoon.

1728720966695.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Black - Wonderful Life

East of Eden - Jig-a-Jig

Trans X - Living on Video
I have tried to avoid including artists with very limited 'success' aside from the debut single. But I must sat that Wonderful Life is magical and worth inclusion.

Oddly however I think that Jig a jig is the worst track on the magical debut album by East of Eden.

(Never heard of trans x)

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Surprised nobody has posted this

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron