Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Great that white is picked but

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Jordan Henderson didn't help himself by taking the ball off DCL then hitting a tame effort that the keeper comfortably saved. A comfortable win turned into a tight affair because of that.

Unfortunately, if you're playing England Tournament Bingo then a lot of boxes are being marked off:

1. Important players going into the tournament injured.
2. Uninspiring performances in the warm-up games.
3. Squad members in poor form or showing signs of tiredness.

It is a worry about Maguire and even if Lewis Dunk had been picked I'd still be worried about him after his moment of madness vs Wolves.

The squad reminds me a bit of Euro 2000 under Keegan, i.e. lots of attacking talent, capable of beating anyone on their day BUT too many question marks in defence - i.e. Phil Neville at left-back, Adams, Keown and Southgate past their prime.

I am excited at what could happen if Grealish, Kane, Foden, Mount are all playing at their peak - potentially at good as anything we've had since the Golden Generation - but you know Pickford, Mings, Stones will mess up at some stage.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Imagine how Dunky feels.

Unless England go on to win the thing, then Southgate needs to go.

Imagine how White feels?

He’s used to playing with Dunk & Webster knowing is ass is almost always covered. Like yesterday, if picked alongside Mings, he’ll spend the whole match trying to cover for Mings howlers! He hasn’t played that level of centre back since he was partnered with Donkey-Cooper!

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Very pleased for Ben, hope he gets to start some matches and doesn't spend the entire Tournament warming the bench, however we must all pay homage to the genius that is Bielsa and Leeds in general because it's obvious that he has only been picked due to his association with such a MASSIVE club, nothing whatsoever to do with Potter and Little old Brighton.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I’d like to see Coady and White as a back two, and add Stones (only because I rate him higher than Mings and Maguire) for a back three. I think all the other defenders are full backs.
Southgate’s scouts missed a trick by not following Albion’s defence this past season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can I add another “but”?

If he plays and shines we’ll very likely lose him to a top team this summer won’t we?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Taking the thread off on a bit of a tangent, by my reckoning there are 5 FIVE Brighton players in the final squads for the championships...

Sanchez
Veltman
White
Moder
Trossard

Strange days indeed.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I am excited at what could happen if Grealish, Kane, Foden, Mount are all playing at their peak

Sod playing at their peak, just playing will do for me. I have a sneaking suspicion that 2 of Mount/Foden/Grealish will be on the bench and he'll go with Rashford & Sterling.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Taking the thread off on a bit of a tangent, by my reckoning there are 5 FIVE Brighton players in the final squads for the championships...

Sanchez
Veltman
White
Moder
Trossard

Strange days indeed.
There are 3 players who have played in our Academy at the Euros. White Sanchez and Mateju. :banana:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Can I add another “but”?

If he plays and shines we’ll very likely lose him to a top team this summer won’t we?

We will do very well to keep Ben now. In the big shop window all summer, we will very likely get serious enquiries from big clubs if all goes well.

But that’s ok. We’ll rightly request top dollar.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
What are we thinking as a current valuation now

Wan Bisaka £50m not an international and one good season

Maguire £80m established although a bit shit

Either way I sense a new contract coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
What are we thinking as a current valuation now

Wan Bisaka £50m not an international and one good season

Maguire £80m established although a bit shit

Either way I sense a new contract coming

Fortunately we’re ahead of the game again. He’s already signed a 4 year deal with us at the start of the season.

Yes the price we would get for him now could be very interesting. I daresay we’ll be looking for a far, far higher value than the bid we turned down from Leeds in the summer (which some here genuinely thought we should accept!).

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Really??

I didn't know that was the official position.

That is incredible.
So potentially his replacement, that has got us through the group stages, has to make way for Maguire, when he's fit enough?

That is some ludicrous shit!

I think it’s the right decision, especially given how well Maguire played at the World Cup and the fact we have a 26 man squad. I don’t think having Mings and Coady is the right decision though and that’s the issue. 26 men squads allow managers to take risks with good players who may not be fit - Belgium are doing exactly that with KDB. It’s worth it as the squad is so large for sure imo.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can't people just celebrate that White has been included? It's quite pathetic the constant need from everyone to be seen to be the most anti Southgate.

Get behind the team, or don't, just stop the constant moaning.

They all turn into top 6 fans when it comes to England :lol: Those who like to moan always shout loudest I’m afraid...

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
Absolutely made up for him, but all this talk of him going for £50m+ - is he tall enough to be a really top central defender ? Will he always have to be partnered by a 6ft4in Dunk or Webster type ?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I still can't get my head around the fact that Dunk,White and Webster are not the first choice England back three.
He's got a ready made English back three that play week in week out together.
It's crazy.

Because that back three were part of a team who finished 16th in the league perhaps?

Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case I apologise for my serious response.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Because that back three were part of a team who finished 16th in the league perhaps?

Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case I apologise for my serious response.

Although I'm not advocating England should use our back three, it should be noted that although we finished 16th, one of the biggest reasons for that was our lack of goals scored, not the amount we conceded. We were joint 6th fewest goals conceded this season.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

It wasn’t our defending that contributed to us finishing 16th, however can see how outside the club 16th is 16th

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

And one of the best defensive records in the league if I’m not mistaken.

Whichever way one tries to defend Southgates selections. There’s a perfect one word rebuttal “Mings”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here