Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Gove, politicians and drugs

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Unfortunately reactions such as we've seen to the Gove thing is why we can't have a proper drugs debate in this country.

This.

My only previous comment on this thread is to note Gove's hypocrisy (as have others). No point adding further whimsical anecdotes or lofty viewpoints.

Regarding the impossibility of a sensible debate, I realised something was afoot in the truth stakes when I was a student and there was a war in Zaire, and the TV news reported a massacre by fighters in a 'frenzy' and whose 'faces were bloated with cannabis'. :facepalm:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I care not that lots of others are doing class A drugs and making the world a miserable place as a consequence. I don’t want my potential next Prime Minister as someone with a history of taking Class A drugs. It’s not ok. If more people fought against rather than meekly accepting that their kids take, it’s socially acceptable etc then perhaps our society wouldn’t be in such a ruinous state. We’re all suffering the affects of the drug trade. Amazed and saddened by the brain numbing idiocy people condone drug taking with. It’s more damaging than anything this world has ever faced before: Famines, WW2, Great Plague of 14th century included.

You’re right it can make your nose run.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Apart from myself, I only personally know just one other person in my circle over the last 25 years who hasn't taken something 'illegal' - so yes this is probably a non story.

But did any of your friends want to be Prime Minister and help to construct laws that would make criminals of the very things Gove and the others have admitted to doing?

I agree it would be impossible to find someone whiter than white - everyone has some skeletons in their closet, just not always things that are illegal or the government position is to crack down on.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I used to be fairly relaxed about drug use, but I am getting worried about the increasing evidence that drug use is a gateway to becoming Tory.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Before I go on I must say Gove is a massive prick. That said, who on earth hasn’t dabbled in casual drug taking in their youth?? I reckon 90% of the people who respond to this and say they haven’t are liars?

I genuinely didn't. I have such a low level of will power to stop doing things I like, that I feared I'd try it once, and never stop.

However, I don't preach to others about it, so I have no beef with a politician admitting to such things. But in the case of Gove, he's called for lifetime bans on teachers who have taken class A drugs, but seemingly thinks the same shouldn't apply to being PM. The man is an idiot. I just can't see how you can argue both. This man cannot win, surely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here