Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Golf Club advice

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
OK, I'm a very occasional golfer and have a set of clubs I've had for more years than I care to remember.

I'm not good enough to justify thousands on clubs (struggle to play to an 18 handicap) but need a bit of an upgrade.

So the question is what are the best "hacker" clubs and can I get some for say £500 ish?

Have been warned off eBay etc and 2nd hand as you don't know how the clubs have been used etc.

Ta,

Tim

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Second hand is perfect IMO if you can go and look at the clubs first e.g a pro shop, I play off 9 and still use second hand as can't afford £££ but for that sort of handicap, cavity irons are what you need, possibly a set of pings ?

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
Hi Tim,

there's nothing wrong with second hand clubs. Check out adverts by going to see them. Try them out for size. If ok, check the club faces for grooves, marks etc. If these are ok, check the grips. If any need replacing, knock them down on the price. Unless you're a low handicapper, you don't ned to waste money on brand new clubs.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think we all know I am defined as a "high" handicapper. Thanks for advice may reconsider 2nd hand.

Always fancied Ping but don't know why may be better at marketing?

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
I think we all know I am defined as a "high" handicapper. Thanks for advice may reconsider 2nd hand.

Always fancied Ping but don't know why may be better at marketing?

Ping just make good quality clubs that suit all levels of golfer as they are very forgiving and when you stand over them you don't feel like you've got a 1 in 10 chance of hitting it in the air. As the previous poster says, new clubs are a waste of money unless you're really serious and good quality second hand are perfect for the mid to high handicap.

Feb 14, 2010
In the same way that kids should learn how to control a football on a five a side pitch before playing on a full sized pitch, playing golf is much the same. Gain control of the golf ball on a pitch & put before playing a full course. Otherwise you will have a bad time going from one bad shot to another, as well as getting in everyone else's way. When you can control it on a pitch & put, then you will be a better golfer and enjoy a full sized course. Remember its driving for show, but chipping and putting for dough.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I bought Mizuno MX200 irons when I was a 23 handicap 3 year ago.

Still use them now and down to 14. Great irons. If you can pick some up second hand you won't be disappointed.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
In the same way that kids should learn how to control a football on a five a side pitch before playing on a full sized pitch, playing golf is much the same. Gain control of the golf ball on a pitch & put before playing a full course. Otherwise you will have a bad time going from one bad shot to another, as well as getting in everyone else's way. When you can control it on a pitch & put, then you will be a better golfer and enjoy a full sized course. Remember its driving for show, but chipping and putting for dough.

control...???:lol:

Muhammad - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i started playing again about 3 weeks ago after a 19 year absence (used to play off 12 HC)
i picked up a set of Taylormade clubs with a bag etc for £150.

all i need now is a putter that makes the bloody ball go in

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
OK, I'm a very occasional golfer and have a set of clubs I've had for more years than I care to remember.

I'm not good enough to justify thousands on clubs (struggle to play to an 18 handicap) but need a bit of an upgrade.

So the question is what are the best "hacker" clubs and can I get some for say £500 ish?

Have been warned off eBay etc and 2nd hand as you don't know how the clubs have been used etc.

Ta,

Tim

Nothing, but NOTHING, feels like a Mizuno. You can get a good set of Mizuno cavity back irons for less than 500 quid. Failing that, get a set of Taylor Made cavity backs.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
I see you live in Arundel. Recently needed a new (replacement) driver and was recommended to try the sports shop in Rustington. The guy was really helpful, even let me take one away to try. Would definitely go there again.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Ping irons are great. Westwood used a set of Zings for 10 years or something like that. I've an old set of i3+ that I just keep on regripping. No need to buy a new set.

There's an e-bay seller justgolfclubs who is located in Brighton nr London Rd station. Try and get hold of him.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Surprisingly, I went to American Golf at Holmbush last summer and said I was thinking about Calloways or Taylor Made, but after an hour with the guy, trying different ones out, he recommended a set of Yonex, which were probably £150 cheaper than I was originally thinking of paying - plus they cut an inch off them for no cost (yes, I'm a short-arse).

Have been very happy with them since.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
went to american golf in holmbush having not played for 15 years - the guys in there did not try and sell me the most expensive stuff they had (if they had I would have bought iit all and ended up all the gear and no idea) - ended up with a second hand set of Ping G15 irons and driver - £350 which I think was an absolute bargain - strangest thing, clubs these days go much further than 15 years ago - I hit a 6 iron 190 yards, 15 years ago that would have been a 3 iron!!!!! whatever you buy have fun, reckon 4 hours on a course with no mobile and no missus
is the best 4 hours going!!!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Go to a pro shop and try lots of different sets. Golf clubs are an individual thing, so my advice is try as many different sets as possible.

I play off 3 and have never used Pings as I do not like the look of them. Just because someone recommends a particular set, they may not suit you, or you may not like them.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I have a set of nike blades and play off 12... However i lost the 8 iron a few weeks back and had to buy a second hand set off ebay and take the 8 iron out grrrr coz i like them so much...

£500ish will get you a decent new set. Are you just after the irons?

You want a forgiving (offset club) with a big cavity.

Nothing wrong at all with secondhand clubs... You'll get a good set online for around £250...

SweBHAFC

Nov 16, 2009
Titliest AP2 (forged) - cannot speak more highly about a set of clubs. I think I paid £600 for 3-PW which is a bit steep but worth every £.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Oops, showing my lack of experience, it's 28 I struggle to play to, not 18. Thanks for all the advice and tips, probably going to look at the 2nd hand market now and "cavity" back seems to be the way! TY

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here