Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glass 1/2 Full - Albion 5 pts better off

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Too many negative waves man. What we need is a bit more positivity like this from the OP and get off the club’s back. I think the pandemic has led too many people to vent their feelings on Potter and the club. Shameful.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
This thread epitomises a sizeable chunk of our fan base seemingly. Fans who must seek a positive at all cost when really there are none. Move on by all means, tomorrow’s another day and all that. But it was just shite. Call it as it is and stop with this modern affliction that is “toxic positivity”. It’s like some sort of cult brain washing trying to tell you something that wasn’t all the bleedin time!

I’m not a positive at all costs but the overreaction to our performances and results this season is ridiculous. Yes yesterday was poor and the manager and particularly players deserve criticism but stepping back and looking at where we are in the league and the standard of our performance and things aren’t that bad.

We used to be the plucky underdog who went away from home to doggedly hold for a point playing some of the most anti-football the PL has season in years. Now we play good football with young players being brought through and are competitive in nearly every game we play. In 14 games this season we have only been properly outclassed once. That was unthinkable a year or two ago.

If you genuinely can’t see the progress made compared to before Potter joined then you are as delusional as the cultists you are criticising.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005

Yeah but last season we played mid table teams like Newcastle, Aston Villa and Crystal Palace away and got two points. This season we have 7 points from these fixtures.

And only five points from the other eleven fixtures.
It's easy to cherry pick statistics to back up any bias.
Our performances have been getting poorer and the few teams below us are gaining.

Too many negative waves man. What we need is a bit more positivity like this from the OP and get off the club’s back. I think the pandemic has led too many people to vent their feelings on Potter and the club. Shameful.

On the contrary, most really like Potter and he has had waves of goodwill and people have really gone easy on him. Any manager with one home win in a calender year would lose the fans, it's nothing personal against Potter, we just need better leadership and there is a world of options out there. Sadly not all apppointments come off and this one was always a gamble given his lack of Prem experience

Reddleman

May 17, 2017

And only five points from the other eleven fixtures.
It's easy to cherry pick statistics to back up any bias.
Our performances have been getting poorer and the few teams below us are gaining.

That was exactly my point you can cherry pick to suit your argument. Two stats I always look at, 1 point per game and the staying up tracker on here. Both have us two points below where we should be and a win on Saturday and we are right back on track.

Like most fans I would love to be well above that tracker but that won’t be this season I suspect unless the club is willing to invest in a genuine quality centre forward to start converting all the chances we make.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
On the contrary, most really like Potter and he has had waves of goodwill and people have really gone easy on him. Any manager with one home win in a calender year would lose the fans, it's nothing personal against Potter, we just need better leadership and there is a world of options out there. Sadly not all apppointments come off and this one was always a gamble given his lack of Prem experience

It did come off last season though didn’t it? By any measure you could choose compared to previous season?

And we started this season pretty well. So really you are basing your point on perhaps the last 8 games when Tony Bloom is looking in years. So you want to change a manger because we have a had a run of 8 league games that aren’t as good as we would like. Not much of a supporter are you and clearly a total panic merchant.

It did come off last season though didn’t it? By any measure you could choose compared to previous season?

And we started this season pretty well. So really you are basing your point on perhaps the last 8 games when Tony Bloom is looking in years. So you want to change a manger because we have a had a run of 8 league games that aren’t as good as we would like. Not much of a supporter are you and clearly a total panic merchant.

If your case for Potter is going on the internet and just insulting people personally, I'm going to assume it's not a very strong case, sorry bout that

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If your case for Potter is going on the internet and just insulting people personally, I'm going to assume it's not a very strong case, sorry bout that

There has to be a point when we call time on the whole Potter project, but I've watched this season with my own eyes and consequently don't see that time as now. Hughton took us as far as he could, but the football and the results were absolutely dreadful in his last few months. I wouldn't say that Potter has reached that yet, because the football is still sometimes threatening but he is being let down by mistakes from some senior players at key moments. Let's look at our last 6 matches for evidence, which went as follows:

Win 2-1 at Villa. Fully deserved, although we got lucky with a penalty decision overturned in our favour in the last minute. I don't think anyone would have begrudged us a win there.
1-1 Liverpool. Went toe to toe with them, Maupay misses a penalty, Connolly misses an absolute sitter. A fair result against the Champions and league leaders was secured owing to a fortunate penalty decision.
1-2 Southampton. As my Saints supporting brother rightly said, "you'd have battered us if you had a Premier league striker". Bitterly unlucky not to draw, possibly win against another excellent side.
0-3 Leicester. Potter to blame for this one. Shit team selection, he's waved the white flag before a ball was kicked. We can't afford to do that sort of thing. It wasn't a league cup game FFS. I'll ignore Welbeck's missed sitter that might have changed the game.
0-0 Fulham. We were much the better side, hit the woodwork twice, had a goal ruled out. Such is life, and an object lesson to Potter in why not to treat Leicester as he did.
1-1 Sheff Utd. See Fulham. And Southampton for that matter.

So last 6 is 1-3-2, and could easily have been 4-1-1 on another day. If you think that isn't the case, then fine, call for his head. Personally, I want another few games because binning Potter could be throwing the baby out with the bath water, and the bath water in this case should be senior players not stepping up, and junior players needing loan experience in the Championship. Oh and our shite blue kit instead of proper stripes.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017

My case for Potter is as I laid out. But as you seem a bit confused I will spell it out for you:

1. In his first season he oversaw a tangible and significant improvement on what had gone on in Hughtons last season. More points, a better league position, more away wins, more goals etc.
2. On top of that we play football that is pleasing to watch unlike what had gone previously which, particularly in the second half of the season, was almost an unwatchable defensive embarrassment. The away games at Wolves, Spurs and the first half at home against Newcastle were an example of that.
3. He is tactically flexible and willing to try new things. Unlike previously where it was the same players in the same formation almost literally every week.
4. He is prepared to play young players and has brought a number into the squad and first team on a regular basis
5. We are now competitive in every league game. Even against the bigger boys this season we have given all of them a run for their money despite playing front foot football. We have only been outclassed once all season.
6. He has transformed the whole ethos and approach of the club while delivering better results, points and position than went before. Right now we are maybe 2/3 points off where we expected to be this season and yet despite all I have laid out above people are calling for him to be sacked. It’s reactive nonsense after 14 games.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Last season we took 7 points off the bottom three at home.

This season we’ve already played the current bottom three at home and failed to beat any of them.

That makes no sense, we won't know who the bottom 3 are until the end of the season.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m not a positive at all costs but the overreaction to our performances and results this season is ridiculous. Yes yesterday was poor and the manager and particularly players deserve criticism but stepping back and looking at where we are in the league and the standard of our performance and things aren’t that bad.

We used to be the plucky underdog who went away from home to doggedly hold for a point playing some of the most anti-football the PL has season in years. Now we play good football with young players being brought through and are competitive in nearly every game we play. In 14 games this season we have only been properly outclassed once. That was unthinkable a year or two ago.

If you genuinely can’t see the progress made compared to before Potter joined then you are as delusional as the cultists you are criticising.

Yep.

How many times this season have we been actually shit? Yesterday I'll accept. However it is like a load of poster have been itching to denigrated the manager (and even the board). This time last year Spence completely lost his shit and turned into a one man Potter basher. This year the virus has mutated and we now have about five (relentless campaigners).

Leeds we a joke and shit yesterday, no matter how plucky and exciting. In our game against the dirty reds we were robbed. Are the Leeds fans squarking 'Bielsa OUT!'? ???

Why conflate anger and disappointment over a shit performance with a desire to sack the manager? Because some have a desire to see Potter gone and have done for a long time.

I think it is a form of bullying. Potter comes across (in interveiws) like a bit of a dweeb. Even I have mocked him with my EL Wisty posts. What does he know about proper football, the polytechnic-educated dreary old fraud?

:facepalm:

We know nothing, however. I have heard of no rumurs about player revolts, sweaty handed managerial dithering or discontent on high. That doesn't mean that Tony isn't about to sack someone, of course, but I certainly trust the owner and his judgement and it would be foolish do otherwise.

Anyway, we're Brighton. When we win we say 'hooray' and when we lose we say 'never mind'. Thus it always was and thus it should forever be. All the while we have an owner like Tony, and not an 'owner' like Archer. Those who disregard history (etc etc).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My case for Potter is as I laid out. But as you seem a bit confused I will spell it out for you:

1. In his first season he oversaw a tangible and significant improvement on what had gone on in Hughtons last season. More points, a better league position, more away wins, more goals etc.
2. On top of that we play football that is pleasing to watch unlike what had gone previously which, particularly in the second half of the season, was almost an unwatchable defensive embarrassment. The away games at Wolves, Spurs and the first half at home against Newcastle were an example of that.
3. He is tactically flexible and willing to try new things. Unlike previously where it was the same players in the same formation almost literally every week.
4. He is prepared to play young players and has brought a number into the squad and first team on a regular basis
5. We are now competitive in every league game. Even against the bigger boys this season we have given all of them a run for their money despite playing front foot football. We have only been outclassed once all season.
6. He has transformed the whole ethos and approach of the club while delivering better results, points and position than went before. Right now we are maybe 2/3 points off where we expected to be this season and yet despite all I have laid out above people are calling for him to be sacked. It’s reactive nonsense after 14 games.

Opinions, opinions. You may say all that but is it really true?* And even if it is** it doesn't detract from the fact that Potter is simply not cut out for the job and must go.

*Yes, yes it is.

**No, yes, it really is.

:mad: :thumbsup:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

Get where you’re coming from though progress is measured in points mainly, and to get those you have to score goals. I’m not delusional one bit, just enjoying the humiliation of those who have been giving it large for months to anyone daring to see Potter as less than some sort of genius above criticism. That’s all. Whether you’re one I have no idea but I suspect not. They don’t like it up em that’s for sure! Hopefully lesson learnt now they’ve been schooled in alternative opinions.

I hope insulting strangers on the internet makes you momentarily feel better because it's generally not regarded as well adjusted behaviour. I declined to read any of what you wrote after that because really what's the point

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here