Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Ghent / Antwerp / Brussels

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Best steaks I've had in Belgium. Would avoid mussels personally as they tend to be gritty dredged ones rather than the nice rope grown ones you usually get here.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Thanks all. Great advice.

We're currently sitting in the sun drinking in Aalst before cycling to Ghent for the night.

Belgium is ****ing great.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was there around 18 months ago and received some good advice from a NSCer but cant find the thread.
I drove there and boy is the town impossible to get to. Just like Brighton, they hate cars. Stayed at the Harmony Hotel overlooking the river. Nice room with free parking. The Waterhuis is a must visit micro pub style place with what looked like 500 beers and nothing under 10 Euros it seemed. There is a square called Korenmarkt which has a load of restaurants with outside tables. We ate in one and were more than happy with the food, drinks, service and cost.

Gandavum is their house brew and a good Belgium session ale at 7.2

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The canal boat ride to the Gruut. Brewery and the tour and tasting was great fun in Ghent. Boat goes from just outside the Waterhuis

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
He may be one of the Albion scouts, for all we know.

I suspect not or his question would have been “can anyone suggest any unknown Belgian footballers in the Ghent, Antwerp,Brussels area as I have a Manila envelope stuffed with cash and a pile of unsigned contracts. Cheers”

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
When in Ghent, go here. It’s amazing.

https://www.dokbrewingcompany.be/en/home-2/

When I was there a year ago (pretty much to the day), it hadn’t long opened but was still brilliant. There was a lot of building work going on and the general area looks like you’re in Middlesbrough, but it’s worth it. Tram 4 drops you very close.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
6AD02D4C-1AF9-4953-B575-686B15D8CB8A.jpeg

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Back now. Just wanted to say a quick thanks for all of the brilliant advice.

The Klokke Roeland at Waterhuis was spectacular. As was Antwerp station.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ignore, double post.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gent is ****ing awesome. That is all.

I have a pretty horrendous/bizarre story linked to Antwerp, and specifically the area near the station.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Gent is ****ing awesome. That is all.

I have a pretty horrendous/bizarre story linked to Antwerp, and specifically the area near the station.

Carry on .......

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Back now. Just wanted to say a quick thanks for all of the brilliant advice.

The Klokke Roeland at Waterhuis was spectacular. As was Antwerp station.
Hope you had a good time out there? Food and drink in Belgium is pretty top knotch.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Hope you had a good time out there? Food and drink in Belgium is pretty top knotch.

Yeah it was bang on, thanks. Hot weather, easy, scenic cycling and I got absolutely wankered on delicious beer in every city we stopped in. Cracking trip.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah it was bang on, thanks. Hot weather, easy, scenic cycling and I got absolutely wankered on delicious beer in every city we stopped in. Cracking trip.
How would you rate cycling on the continent to cycling here in blighty!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
How would you rate cycling on the continent to cycling here in blighty!

Pros: 1. The bike lanes and shared routes were wide, well maintained and well planned. 2. The local motorists were deferential to us pedalistos almost to the point of embarrassment - they constantly gave way to us, like when someone is holding a door for you and you have to do a little jog/skip to save them the extra second. 3. The flatness allowed us to continue to cycle despite 33°+ heat and raging 11% beer induced hangovers. 4. Entering and exiting cities was so much better than the equivalent here, or in France.

Cons: 1. One bike nicked off the street in Antwerp. 2. Very few red lights to jump/ignore/not see. 3. I wasn't sure how much road tax they pay so was unable to crow about how I don't pay any.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here