Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Genres of music that just don’t do it for you

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Reggae doesn’t do it for me at all. I find it depressing for some reason.
Disco too. I’m sure if I was clubbing in NY or LA in the 70’s with big breasted birds on roller skates offering me cocaine off their cleavage, I’d feel different but when introduced by Ken Bruce, nah, you’re alright.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Reggae doesn’t do it for me at all. I find it depressing for some reason.
Disco too. I’m sure if I was clubbing in NY or LA in the 70’s with big breasted birds on roller skates offering me cocaine off their cleavage, I’d feel different but when introduced by Ken Bruce, nah, you’re alright.

Various forms of dance music mean everything to me, it all started when I was 17 and first hit nightclubs in the 80’s. As a kid I probably loathed that music, but it soon hooked my mates and I. Pretty females always a bonus too.

Randy McNob

> > > > > > Cardiff > > > > >
Jun 13, 2020
Various forms of dance music mean everything to me, it all started when I was 17 and first hit nightclubs in the 80’s. As a kid I probably loathed that music, but it soon hooked my mates and I. Pretty females always a bonus too.

in a nutshell you went to pulling joints during your mis-spent youth.... like the rest of us

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
in a nutshell you went to pulling joints during your mis-spent youth.... like the rest of us

Very true, great wasn’t it? But the bonus for me was actually loving dance music and dancing, so much so that we did it for the best part of 25 years. Still play the tracks every day.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Always tickles me when peoole say they have an 'eclectic' taste in music then proceed to name a couple of artists from differing, essentially pop, genres.

I have been subjected to countless editions of Steve Wright's golden oldies over the years. Often the listener will describe their taste in music, and their picks, as eclectic. They never are, and never likely to be. Not on that show at any rate.

Iron Maiden and Tribe Called Quest are pop?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Grime.

It’s just terrible.

Closely followed by country although I have been heavily influenced by living in a flat in my younger days next door to a Garth Brooks fan. Walls were paper thin and I really don’t want to listen to 100 decibel version of Redstroke at 6 in the morning.

Scarred me for life. Still not as bad as Grime though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I went to The Hungry years, once. Detroit Emeralds played there, back in the day :lolol:
Would be a sad world without musical diversity though. I know where to go for the type of music I like, same goes for other musical tastes. Its a different time now, and clubs & on-line Radio stations abound for all genres nowadays, and theres no real reason to listen to music you dislike.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I genuinely appreciate most genres of music from jazz to dance, blues to punk. The only genre I can’t get on board with really is metal and pretty much all the sub-genres included within it. It’s just not for me. Oh and dubstep *shudders*

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A bit of every which way. I make sure to listen to each album at least 2-3 times through. Doing 5 albums a week. It's tricky, because some albums can take weeks to really grab you, however I'm seeing this as more of a forced education on the history of modern music, and with 1,001 albums to plough through, it's going to take me 3-4 years as it is!

I take long walks daily at the moment (part of a fitness push) and often listen to music then, so I can really focus on them without distraction. Then repeat listens I will have on as background during working, driving etc.

I love lists, I love ticking things off and completing lists. What you are attempting here is insane but beautifully brilliant. I wish you all the best.

PS I have the same book but worked out how long listening to it would take and stuck to just reading it....or to be truthful just flicking through it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
None of them do anything for me. I'd put hip-hop in it's own category of "music which does nothing for me and I can't understand why anyone would like it". With the other three I can kind of see why you might like it, it's just not my cup-of-tea. I don't see anything appealing about hip-hop though. There's no tune, the lyrics are either quite graphic and uninventive or almost non-existent (just the odd grunt) and it seems like the less singing ability you have the more successful you will become.

I'd like to try and challenge on hip-hop a little. You don't have soul or funk in your shit list, yet hip-hop is very varied musically and you can find plenty of hip-hop that musically is basically funk or soul. Surely you can see why some might like that sort of hip-hop?

Modern hip-hop that is definitely tuneful;

Mac Miller
Childish Gambino
Kendrick Lamar

Sure there's plenty others.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I love lists, I love ticking things off and completing lists. What you are attempting here is insane but beautifully brilliant. I wish you all the best.

PS I have the same book but worked out how long listening to it would take and stuck to just reading it....or to be truthful just flicking through it.

Thanks.

I know it's insane - I've been inspired by a FB music group I'm in (pretty much the only thing keeping me on FB in any form) and there's a guy on there who has done the 1,001 and documented it, and I found it fascinating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here