Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Freddie Starr, err, 'clears his name'

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The bloody red-tops are going to carry on naming-by-association-with-the-70s-entertainers, because they don't want this to go away, it's circulation gold. Of COURSE Freddie Starr has nothing to do with all this - we're talking about raping teenage girls ffs, which the tabloids seem to want us to think was part and parcel of being a tv celeb 40 years ago.

I don't understand what you're saying. Should the 'bloody red-tops' (and clearly it isn't just those papers) just sweep it back under the carpet then? Sounds a bit morally dubious, and I don't see how you can be so certain about Starr. The truth is, none uf us really know.

This is out there now, women have come forward, and there are questions to be asked and answered. Not only about the individuals, but about the culture and BBC organisation itself. I find it impossible to believe this was going on without people knowing and covering it up. And those people may be in positions of real power now.

If there is a criticism of the 'red-tops' (and it is a big one, albeit fairly ironic against the current backdrop of getting slaughtered by Leveson) it's that they didn't wade in bigger and sooner at the time on the many rumours.

But this is what you get when powerful people can intimidate the press with outdated libel laws, and neutering the media on privacy grounds is only going to make it worse I'm afraid.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm no body language expert but in that 83 seconds of footage he looks away 23 times, shakes his head and blinks repeatedly. Normally if you're telling the truth you'd blink less and keep better, focused eye contact with your interrogator. Very dodgy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm no body language expert but in that 83 seconds of footage he looks away 23 times, shakes his head and blinks repeatedly. Normally if you're telling the truth you'd blink less and keep better, focused eye contact with your interrogator. Very dodgy.

Harry Redknapp does this all the time.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Freddie Starr and his fiancee...

05e18215-532_1409044a.jpg

That's just wrong when a blokes got bigger tits than he's other half. :ffsparr:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't understand what you're saying. Should the 'bloody red-tops' (and clearly it isn't just those papers) just sweep it back under the carpet then? Sounds a bit morally dubious, and I don't see how you can be so certain about Starr. The truth is, none uf us really know.

This is out there now, women have come forward, and there are questions to be asked and answered. Not only about the individuals, but about the culture and BBC organisation itself. I find it impossible to believe this was going on without people knowing and covering it up. And those people may be in positions of real power now.

If there is a criticism of the 'red-tops' (and it is a big one, albeit fairly ironic against the current backdrop of getting slaughtered by Leveson) it's that they didn't wade in bigger and sooner at the time on the many rumours.

But this is what you get when powerful people can intimidate the press with outdated libel laws, and neutering the media on privacy grounds is only going to make it worse I'm afraid.

How about the mass media leave it to the authorities investigate any allegations and don't go around just naming names who were performing with saville at the time in the hope that they'll sell a few more papers or fill a few more minutes on their 24hours a day broadcast.

If there's evidence to suggest that Freddie Starr is involved then the police should investigate it and take the appropriate action. It's not right to throw a load of shit at a load of people and hope some of it sticks, because some of it will end up sticking to innocent people.

You've obviously decided that he did it, you might even have inside info that he did, but it's wrong to just start labelling people because they look and sound the part. Freddie Starr is an easy target because he isn't a media luvvie, he's a shit comedian and sounds like a right pikey.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Can you read minds through the computer then?

Is it not possible that he was shown a picture of a young looking girl, and that's what he meant.

have you not seen brass eye?! of course you can.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How about the mass media leave it to the authorities investigate any allegations and don't go around just naming names who were performing with saville at the time in the hope that they'll sell a few more papers or fill a few more minutes on their 24hours a day broadcast.

If there's evidence to suggest that Freddie Starr is involved then the police should investigate it and take the appropriate action. It's not right to throw a load of shit at a load of people and hope some of it sticks, because some of it will end up sticking to innocent people.

You've obviously decided that he did it, you might even have inside info that he did, but it's wrong to just start labelling people because they look and sound the part. Freddie Starr is an easy target because he isn't a media luvvie, he's a shit comedian and sounds like a right pikey.

Back in the day nobody took any action. Now it is the media that is forcing the issue, and rightly so.

I don't buy the argument this girl is doing it for money because she'll be getting bugger all for her story simply because there are 50 other stories out there identical to hers. And why else would she go public with this other than to get some closure?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I'm sorry, but that is bollocks. A woman came forward and named the bloke. Nobody plucked his name out of thin air. It doesn't mean he did it, but it does mean he needs to defend himself

You're just making stuff up. Even on this thread has anyone said he's definitely q paedo? No.

But still, don't let it worry you and just blindky regurgitate the sort of anti press line peddled by Coogan and Grant. If they get their way, the press will be 100 times less likely to be able to expose this kind of thing. And why? So they can shag around and do drugs while appearing on tv as paragons of virtue

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm sorry, but that is bollocks. A woman came forward and named the bloke. Nobody plucked his name out of thin air. It doesn't mean he did it, but it does mean he needs to defend himself

You're just making stuff up. Even on this thread has anyone said he's definitely q paedo? No.

But still, don't let it worry you and just blindky regurgitate the sort of anti press line peddled by Coogan and Grant. If they get their way, the press will be 100 times less likely to be able to expose this kind of thing. And why? So they can shag around and do drugs while appearing on tv as paragons of virtue

Shit, I think I'm being a retard to be honest! I didn't realise the girl had actually named him directly at the same time as Saville and Peel.

I'm still not a fan of 'outing' people in the press without solid evidence, but it changes things if she's directly named him. Don't know why I didn't process that the first time, sorry for wasting everyone's time! :facepalm:

I say on all these threads that we live in an age of trial by press, and it's something I generally despise but I suppose somebody has to do some digging in this case.

The silly thing is, if the press weren't running around trying to ruin Coogan and Grants' lives just for doing some brass and a bit of sniff, I wouldn't be so instantly dubious of their motives in cases like this.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK

I totally agree with you and am not saying any of this should be ignored. My point is that the tabloids will 'innocently' mention other people and therefore associate them with the goings-on back then. Suddenly Freddie Starr is guilty of something in a lot of people's minds. Tomorrow is could be Rod Hull, Lennie Bennett...

ps. I think if Leveson isn't taken seriously by the government, it'll be a moral disaster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here