For those of you who went to the game

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I don't know where it appears in the rulebook, but it looked to me like the old case of:

Keeper f-ks up + ball rolls free + opposition gently roll it into empty net = free kick against the attacking side.

You don't know why, but you do expect them to be given against the attacking side.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Did the linesman flag for the free kick. D'Urso had his back to the incident so couln't have seen it

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Goalie did not realise that tommy was behind him jogging back.

The goalie's natural action is to throw the ball slightly to his side before launching a kick.

He actually threw it straight into Tommy's chest as he jogged past (albeit very close to the keeper but there is nothing wrong with that - there is no "exclusion zone")

Given that goalies can throw as well as kick, i would suggest that once it had hit Tommy (as opposed to Tommy robbing the 'keeper) then the ball was "in play" and no foul had been committed.

However, as highlighted, D'urso cannot have seen it as he himself was running towards the centre circle, and the lino was side-on so may have felt Tommy impeded the goalie.... which he didn't. I didn't see the lino flag but obviously they are all wired up these days so they probably briefly discussed it before D'Urso blew.

It could have been a valid goal imho ... but I also need to highlight that D'urso blew his whistle before tommy had actually kicked the ball into the empty net (so I guess we can consider ourselves fortunate he wasn't booked for kicking the ball away!)

Last edited:

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
This has been debated on our message board too, and people with a reffing background insist that the ball is technically "in the keeper's possession" in some circumstances when he isn't actually in contact with it, strange as that may sound. Specifically, when he is bouncing it basketball style or throwing it up into the air for a drop kick. This isn't in the official rules of the game apparently, but is a long standing tradition and something that is in the instructions to referees given by FIFA, the FA and other national associations. In which case an indirect free kick against the attacker (for either foul play and/or interfering with the goalkeeper's release of the ball) is the correct refereeing decision. Apparently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here