Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For those of you who went to the game

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Can you please tell me what happened in the first half with Tommy Elphick? SCR thought he scored a perfectly valid, rather cheeky goal. I had him to score first at 40-1 so hope Durso had a good reason for disallowing it...

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
He seemed to get in front of the goalie when he went to kick it but it didn't look deliberate. From where I was standing it looked like the keeper got in Elphick's way rather than the other way round, but it was up the other end so was hard to tell

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
It looked like he ran from behind the keeper, made no attempt to obstruct the keeper and the keeper kind of fumbled it into him. Didn't see a lt wrong with it but wasn't surprised it was disallowed. He certainly didn't kick it out of the keepers hands.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I agree Culvers. He was passing around the goalkeeper who then let the ball free to kick. It looked far from an intentional act by Elphick. He then gathered the loose ball and nutmegged the keeper. I saw nothing wrong with it, but don't know enough about the various rules.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Their keeper Elliot was a bit of a whopper, but he took the banter well in front of our end second half

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
I'm sure Elphick knew exactly what he was doing and I have to agree it was a foul. As the keeper threw the ball up he got his body in the way. If he was stood outside the box and blocked the kick it would be fair enough.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
i missed it, i was pissed. (and still am:smokin:)

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
As the keeper threw the ball up he got his body in the way. If he was stood outside the box and blocked the kick it would be fair enough.

Not strictly true if the keeper was taking a drop kick.
The act of a drop kick starts from holding the ball until AFTER he has kicked it, it doesn't matter if the ball has left his hands and before it's kicked.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Our idiot keeper hadn't bothered to check if there was anyone behind him, chucked the ball into the air, your guy nipped in, chested it down and scored. Myself and the people around me all thought it was a legal goal, but to be fair it was such a bizarre thing to happen that I really have no idea what the specific rules are. Certainly there was no foul on our keeper that we could see. The best I can assume - based on how convoluted the sub-rules of offside are - is that as your guy was behind the ball when he chested it, he played himself offside the moment he kicked it (ie the chest down was legal, but the kick towards goal wasn't). If you get what I mean.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Our idiot keeper hadn't bothered to check if there was anyone behind him, chucked the ball into the air, your guy nipped in, chested it down and scored. Myself and the people around me all thought it was a legal goal, but to be fair it was such a bizarre thing to happen that I really have no idea what the specific rules are. Certainly there was no foul on our keeper that we could see. The best I can assume - based on how convoluted the sub-rules of offside are - is that as your guy was behind the ball when he chested it, he played himself offside the moment he kicked it (ie the chest down was legal, but the kick towards goal wasn't). If you get what I mean.

D'urso cost me a few quid then!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The best I can assume - based on how convoluted the sub-rules of offside are - is that as your guy was behind the ball when he chested it, he played himself offside the moment he kicked it (ie the chest down was legal, but the kick towards goal wasn't). If you get what I mean.

"Played himself offside" - what on earth are you talking about?

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
D'urso cost me a few quid then!

NO! It was definitely a foul. . No doubt at all. . Elphick correctly adjudged to have impeded the keeper when he ran into his throwing arm at the point Elliot throw the ball up to kick. .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Snoobs has it right, above. The rule with keepers launching a drop kick, is that the ball is still 'in the keeper's posession' between the throwing it up bit and the actual kick. An attacking player is not allowed to interfere with the keeper / ball at any point during this complete action.

So, from the description of what happened, the ref was right. I was watching SSN all evening, and despite going regularly to a reporter live at the ground, they never once mentioned this incident. Suggests that it wasn't all that controversial.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here