Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Fiveways

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Agree with [MENTION=177]Brovion[/MENTION], the Agra is the best traditional takeaway in town, even if you have to collect yourself - it's worth it.

I think the PPT is getting a bad press here. I like it and the garden area is now perfect for drinking outside in the cold. The Cleveland is a great pub - good landlords.

Barfields over Choice Cuts every day, although as others have said, the deli at Choice Cuts is very good.

And Ravens hot cross buns are amazing (if you can get hold of them)

What's not to like about Fiveways? Nice area, close to the Park and the town; a few decent pubs and the natives all seem friendly.

When I moved to Lancing, I went for a walk at the north end of the village, high up on the Downs. You could look down over south east over Lancing College, Shoreham Airport, the cement works, further east towards Brighton, and of course the sea. Magnificent views.

When I got home and looked at a map, I found out that I was the same distance from the sea as Fiveways. It's roughly just under halfway between Brighton seafront and Old Boat Corner.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
After a protracted process, we'll be moving into Fiveways next week, and I'd be grateful for recommendations from those with local knowledge. Here's what I do know, and my prejudices are:
-- Flour Pot: having lived 50 metres away from one, I'll now have to travel 150 metres or so, but enjoy their bourgeois bread. Not so keen on Ravens' more traditional style. It does seem that Tilt is popular though.
-- Quaff: decent independent, but nothing compared to Butlers, which is magisterial and was near my doorstep
-- Barfields: been there once, and seems highly rated. What of Choice Cuts?

What is Rustica like?
Fiveways Fruits?
Curry houses?
Other recommendations?

How are you doing?

We are on our knees - it feels as though t's going to be weeks before we are sorted.

And we underestimated how much we needed to get rid of when downsizing.

But the Open Market is about 100m away...I have never felt so good. When everything opens up, it will be perfect.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
And Ravens hot cross buns are amazing (if you can get hold of them)

Started the hot cross buns this week, available every Tuesday and Saturday.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I agree Fiveways is probably the next step up for people currently living in Hanover . Similar types of people . Don’t like Hanover area personally, feels very hemmed in and cramped . Fiveways is nicer especially the wider roads .

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Welcome to the hood !

Pleased to say the chippy in the dip has been taken over and is really good now.
You've also got the posh one next to The Hollingbury and the one at the top of Preston Drove is always good.
For currys I always walk down to Shahi. Way better than anything close by IMHO.

Sadly The Fiveways pub continues to be dreadful but there's loads of great ones nearby. Signalman Sunday lunches are quite something.

Been around here for 20 years and love it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
How are you doing?

We are on our knees - it feels as though t's going to be weeks before we are sorted.

And we underestimated how much we needed to get rid of when downsizing.

But the Open Market is about 100m away...I have never felt so good. When everything opens up, it will be perfect.

Thanks for asking.
We're 'upsizing', and I'm a bit lost the place feels so much bigger than the previous one.
But, like you, shattered, and still surrounded in boxes with seemingly little way through. And also excited. The football has been a delightful interlude too.
It's a thumbs up for Rustico. I like Agra too, the Mrs claims its too greasy. We're just 100 yards or so from both, but it's all very quiet here.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Started the hot cross buns this week, available every Tuesday and Saturday.

Thanks for this. The boy is a particular fan of a hot cross bun, and tomorrow is Saturday, so he might just get something to accompany the Burnley game (he might be starved of goals).
On a related note, someone else mentioned maltloaf from Ravens. I still haven't worked out whether it's malt loaf (ie local Soreen), or a malted (savoury) loaf. As a regular, any ideas? I'm asking because the boy is also a big fan of malt loaf.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
IS tuckers still about? Used to be the best kebabs in Brighton (but this is going back 10 years)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Thanks for asking.
We're 'upsizing', and I'm a bit lost the place feels so much bigger than the previous one.
But, like you, shattered, and still surrounded in boxes with seemingly little way through. And also excited. The football has been a delightful interlude too.
It's a thumbs up for Rustico. I like Agra too, the Mrs claims its too greasy. We're just 100 yards or so from both, but it's all very quiet here.

We are at the bottom of Ditchling Road, so nearly the same district. Closer to London Road, though.

Spice Bros is a superb curry house, highly recommend it.

Walking to the shops is just brilliant. Aldi is where it's at.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Thanks for this. The boy is a particular fan of a hot cross bun, and tomorrow is Saturday, so he might just get something to accompany the Burnley game (he might be starved of goals).
On a related note, someone else mentioned maltloaf from Ravens. I still haven't worked out whether it's malt loaf (ie local Soreen), or a malted (savoury) loaf. As a regular, any ideas? I'm asking because the boy is also a big fan of malt loaf.

I’d describe it as a fruit loaf, very light and great toasted. Also it’s amazing value. Facebook says the hot cross buns are available from 10.30 today.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
IS tuckers still about? Used to be the best kebabs in Brighton (but this is going back 10 years)

As with everything around there now, it got on board with the Fiveways culture and changed its name to Fiveways Grill :lolol: I haven’t tried it in years, though.

Lots to like about Fiveways. I think the curry houses down towards Preston Park/London Road are better (Shahi, Balti Express, Spice Bros) than the options at Fiveways.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As with everything around there now, it got on board with the Fiveways culture and changed its name to Fiveways Grill :lolol: I haven’t tried it in years, though.

Lots to like about Fiveways. I think the curry houses down towards Preston Park/London Road are better (Shahi, Balti Express, Spice Bros) than the options at Fiveways.

Agra Tandoori used to be superb when it was based in Preston Drove next door to the launderette many moons ago. Judging by the many glowing reviews now it's moved to Fiveways, it's still doing the business

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
There was a time that being called bourgeois was an insult. Lived in 5 Ways ages ago, loved Ravens, yummy malt loaf and good honest traditional bread from an unpretentious bakery. Is 5 Ways now the new Hanover?

Pretty Much so ..:(, but no candles on tables in the Stamner , yet ...

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Is the hardware shop still the that used to sell paraffin for 10p a litre?

:)

TNBA

TTF

PS I haven't been there for 40 years or so

Kirbys, no it's Fiveways Floors now. Kirbys used to have a self service paraffin pump by the front door so you could get your own when it was closed!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well, it's a massive :thumbsup: for Ravens' hot cross buns from us: they're massive, lots of soft dried fruit, decent spice, fresh, chewy dough

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here