Oct 17, 2008
The Boy and the Heron - Netflix
BAFTA Best Animated Picture
Golden Globe Best Animated Picture
Academy Aware Best Animated Picture
7.4 IMDB, 97% Rotten Tomatoes

IMG_3929.jpeg

Here be spoilers for “The Boy and the Heron”:

This was absolutely batshit. I mean completely mental.

I am no anime fan, I generally find it weird. But I can abide controlled weirdness, particularly when it’s wholesome and not overly sexualised like so many animes are. I really like My Neighbour Totoro, for instance.

But The Boy and the Heron… this was absolutely fruit loops.

This movie, legendary auteur Hayao Miyazaki’s swan song, went like billy-o at the box office, becoming the fifth biggest grossing Japanese blockbuster of all time.

No denying it’s a beautiful movie, and Joe Hisaishi’s score is happily predictably superb. But the plot…?! Even for Studio Ghibli (the East’s Disney, for those who aren’t familiar) this one fell asleep on the District Line and woke up in Barking.

It would be easy - and lazy - to say that as with most Ghibli movies, it centres around a young child transporting from their regular lives into a magical uncanny valley, meeting a magical creature, and then having a very gentle adventure.

While the above is true, and many of these recurring tropes are in play - among others such as exploring animism and a clear love of “the old ways” and tradition - The Boy and the Heron is a good deal more heavy and unsettling than the likes of Totoro.

On the surface, the story introduces the stock Anime protagonist child, Mahito. Rather than brimming with whimsy and curiosity, Mahito is an angry, traumatised shell of a boy grieving over the gruesome immolation of his mother during the Second World War. He is then evacuated with his father from Tokyo to the countryside with his father and his new wife, his late wife’s pregnant(!) identical sister.

After a quick bit of self-harm, as he gratuitously smashes his own head in with a rock, he meets a creepy semi-anthropomorphic talking heron, who leads him into a cave on promises of seeing his dead mum again.

He is tricked, and goes off for a standard Studio Ghibli® brand adventure.

This is an incredibly dark movie in themes, and much like Disney’s “Up” isn’t really about the surface plot - the titular talking heron. Neither is it about the wannabe Witch King of Angmar antagonist, or the crazy hijinx that occur throughout the second hour. This movie is about trauma, grieving and PTSD.

But in the end
it turns out it was all a hallucination from his head injury with the rock anyway, giving us a cop-out surface happy ending, in a movie which is anything but

In short, despite critical, commercial and audience success, I really didn’t get this movie. It’s so overwrought with heavy symbolism and metaphor and yes, is really, really weird. There isn’t a lot of humour (I found the comedy relief of the servants/maids in the household irritating rather than amusing).

I just don’t get who it’s for, mostly. The adventure portion in the second half of the film is fairly stock Ghibli stuff ideal for kids, the first half is decidedly creepy and I wouldn’t recommend it to younger children, giving it a very strange feeling of being both confused and confusing.

I mostly watched the English dub which is packed with stars such as Christian Bale, Robert Pattinson, Mark Hamill, Willem Dafoe, Florence Pugh and Dave Bautista. The acting is fine, I suppose, but I tried the Japanese dub and that was just as good to my ears.

2*

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Back from seeing Speak No Evil with a Dolphin Jr. Bizarrely, there was ONLY us two in the screening!

Anyway... we both thoroughly enjoyed this thriller (horror?) which had a superb performance from James McAvoy who clearly seemed to be having a whale of a time with his role. An American family (husband, wife and daughter) who are living in London due to work meets up with McAvoy's British family (which includes a son who is unable to speak) on holiday in Rome. They hit it off and McAvoy invites them to stay with them in their West Country home. Cue awkwardness which initially is played off as a bit of an American/British different standards type of thing, guests in someone else's home reacting to things, that sort of thing, before things start to be understood and revealed.

It's a remake of a 2022 Danish film, but has its own special twists and turns, and is definitely recommended...

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
The new Salems Lot was very good, unlike the reviews which were unfavourable as many reviewers thought It needed longer ( the 70's mini-series good for a longer watch )

It needed the 'floaty boy' imo not to be a dud, and remind me of shitting the bed watching in 1979, and it didn't disappoint

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Odeon Brighton is shut down for a month due to some kind of emergency repairs. Not surprised judging by the state of the outside of the place.

Due to open again mid-November. No news on what they're doing about those on Limitless.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Odeon Brighton is shut down for a month due to some kind of emergency repairs. Not surprised judging by the state of the outside of the place.

Due to open again mid-November. No news on what they're doing about those on Limitless.
Shit cinema mind. I go to the Cineworld in Eastbourne Beacon (Arndale Centre) and it’s magnificent

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here