Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer story makes front page of Sussex Uni paper

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Cant. Have been expressly told not to put distribute material in the bars. And as I go to them everyday I do not want to get barred!

Cant. Have been expressly told not to put distribute material in the bars. And as I go to them everyday I do not want to get barred!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
fatboy said:

Dont put them in bars. Put them on walls around Uni.

Dandyman

In London village.
Definitely worth a reply. Does the Uni have male and female football team and /or sport science courses? All of them stand to gain from the Community Stadium as do the general student population in having an accessable and (student discounts pending) affordable form of entertainment on their doorstep.

Could I suggest an a balancing article for the Badger plus some feelers being put out to sympathetic felloe students who might provide useful demonstrable support ?

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Well I am going to pick my mum up from there in a minute (she is a lecturer not a student!!) so will see what I can do regarding posters. They can't bar me or chuck me out 'cos I don't fecking go there!!

EDIT: scrub that, she just phoned to say she has a lift home but she is going to try and bring a 'badger' home so I can see for myself what those chumps have printed!!

Last edited:

In the interests of keeping the students on our side, I am quite prepared - with a few of my single mates - to take out any 18 or 19 year old blonde (could be highlighted, I'm not fussed) birds - sorry I mean female students - to anywhere they like in Brighton and Hove.

I am also more than prepared to attend freshers week do's for as long as it takes to get our message across.

I know this is a big sacrifice, but I personally think Falmer is a worthy enough cause to have to endure this.

Before we go tarring all students with the same brush, when I worked up Sussex Uni I often found that those running the Badger were a very small clique whose views either did not match 95% of the students they purported to write for and were just ignored anyway. In fact reading the Badger used to be highly amusing just to spot all the glaring areas and be amazed how woefully misinformed they all were. I certainly remember the issue a few years back when they announced the site and the head of the student union was quoted as saying how fearful she was of the possibility of having working class hooligans raping and pillaging their way through the campus every matchday. She got plenty of letters back taking the the piss out of her narrow-minded attitude.

Last edited:

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Tommy Cook reporting said:
In the interests of keeping the students on our side, I am quite prepared - with a few of my single mates - to take out any 18 or 19 year old blonde (could be highlighted, I'm not fussed) birds - sorry I mean female students - to anywhere they like in Brighton and Hove.

I am also more than prepared to attend freshers week do's for as long as it takes to get our message across.

I know this is a big sacrifice, but I personally think Falmer is a worthy enough cause to have to endure this.

We could get 'Falmer for all' and blue and white striped johnnies*!

*novelty only - not for internal use.

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
Arthur Scrimshaw said:
Before we go tarring all students with the same brush, when I worked up Sussex Uni I often found that those running the Badger were a very small clique whose views either did not match 95% of the students they purported to write for and were just ignored anyway. In fact reading the Badger used to be highly amusing just to spot all the glaring areas and be amazed how woefully misinformed they all were. I certainly remember the issue a few years back when they announced the site and the head of the student union was quoted as saying how fearful she was of the possibility of having working class hooligans raping and pillaging their way through the campus every matchday. She got plenty of letters back taking the the piss out of her narrow-minded attitude.

I think all student newspapers seem to be like that - ie utter crap.

At Leicester Uni the paper was called the Ripple. The slogan it was given (at least by the people I knew) was "Putting the C back into Ripple"

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
The one at Staffs was called GK. Used to be available free of charge in the bars. One month they got some ideas above their station and decided to charge 40p for them. I think they sold about 40 and the next month it was free of charge again.

Dandyman

In London village.
This may be of interest...

Sussex student union facing liquidation

Polly Curtis
Tuesday October 22, 2002

Sussex University student union is facing a financial crisis that could lead to liquidation within two years, its members have warned.

Last year, the union overspent by £120,000. Its finance officer expects a similar deficit this year.

The union is supported through a £470,000 annual grant from the university. Further profits from the union-owned company the Sussex University Students' Union Services Ltd have been declining recently. SUSUS runs the union-owned bars and shops on campus.

Last week, the union's student newspaper, The Badger, launched a campaign to ask the university to increase its grant. Without an increase, the paper warned in an editorial, the union would be "preparing itself for the worst, warning of across-the-board cuts in the provision of key services to students, and even the possibility that The Badger itself may be lost".

In a meeting between student union representatives and the university yesterday, the university agreed to take over the cost of childcare provision, which the union provides for students with children. The £14,000 service was about to be cut.

The university also said that once the full accounts for last year were finalised it would consider discussing a joint emergency funding package.

SUSUS pays £87,000 each year in rent to the university for the use of its buildings and bars. Reports in the student paper claimed this made USSU the only British students' union to provide financial support to a university, albeit indirectly.

David Mooney, the union's elected finance officer, said the university had placed his predecessors in an impossible position. "We asked the university for assistance two years ago to help make up the deficit. The response from the finance office, was that we should spend the the union's reserves, which is very improper, put beer prices up or cut staff."

So far the union has dealt with the overspend by using its own reserves, which are now down to £270,000 - enough for two more years at the current rate of spending. Mr Mooney said the union was already operating on "skeleton" staff. It now has two advice workers to help 12,000 students.

"We can't buy ourselves out of this crisis. We can't charge any more for a pint. At student union bar a pint is £1.95, in the one university-run bar it is £1.50. They are putting their prices down, while ours have to go up," said Mr Mooney.

A statement issued by the university said: "A meeting between USSU sabbatical officers and senior university managers on Monday, October 21, agreed there is both a short-term funding problem for the coming year and a longer-term structural funding problem.

"The university and USSU are working together to tackle both of these issues as all parties share the desire to ensure that services to students should become more coordinated.

"There is the possibility of agreeing a joint emergency funding package, the details of which would have to be discussed when the full USSU accounts for last year are available

I'm more than willing to boost their bar income if they like (while explaining the benefits of Falmer to all those nice firsttimeawayfromhome female freshers)...:D

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If I was in the Student's Union, I would propose that the Union approach the Albion for special student concessionary rates at Falmer.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Dandyman said:
Definitely worth a reply. Does the Uni have male and female football team and /or sport science courses?

It's a university not a ex polytechnic!! My mate, Brunning who posts on here, is in the football team. To be honest I shouldn't think most of the lads in it would care either way. Not sure about a womens team but there is a womens rugby team.

Dandyman said:
Could I suggest an a balancing article for the Badger plus some feelers being put out to sympathetic felloe students who might provide useful demonstrable support ?

I will write an article for the next issue in April.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
the full harris said:
FFS, she couldn't find any!!
Err, yes.

A large number of them have mysetriously disappeared in the last few days! Not sure why. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here