Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Enid Blyton, classed as xenophobic.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Advertising on TV and in the media. Is it truly representative of the balance of modern day society in Britain? Not in my view.

How niche.

I am not sure if you quite understand how advertising works. Well, the seller decides how best to appeal to the potential market in order to maximise sales. The fact that there may be too many blacks for your liking on TV won't be taken into account, I can assure you.

There has been no charge for that tutorial. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I hope everyone offended by this are equally storming the castle to burn Huckleberry Finn books.

Already banned, understandably in young quarters. They were never intended for kids anyway.

Important historical literature though.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
On Huckleberry Finn

Another one who clearly hasn't read the article.

I’ve read the article. What on earth is your point? That text you cited is not in the OP.

And who cares? People expound on points not initially raised in the opening post. This isn’t a dissertation. That’s how discussion works.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well you're just posting for the sake of posting now. Time for a Senior Nap?

From a man as old as me and just as 'noisy'? I raise an eyebrow. ??? :wink:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
My heart bleeds for the millions of out-of-work white middle class TV advert actors.

Honestly H, we can’t take you anywhere. A very fruity male actor acquaintance (white, middle class) appeared in the Aldi TV Christmas adverts a few years back sat round the Christmas dinner table beaming with his actor wife and kids under deep heterosexual cover. I don’t doubt Enid would have approved. A friend of Dorothy you say?

:eek::amex:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Listen to the excellent Evil Genius episode on BBC Sounds about her, by all accounts racism and xenophobia only scratched the surface with old Enid, sounds like she was complete c***.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
How niche.

I am not sure if you quite understand how advertising works. Well, the seller decides how best to appeal to the potential market in order to maximise sales. The fact that there may be too many blacks for your liking on TV won't be taken into account, I can assure you.

There has been no charge for that tutorial. :thumbsup:

I didn't say that there were too many for my liking, be fair. The point I was trying to make, probably clumsily, is that adverts are no longer representative of modern day society. Do you really believe that the seller decides on the make up of adverts based solely on its target audience for sales? I have several friends who work in the advertising area and I know for a fact that there are more factors at play that that.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Listen to the excellent Evil Genius episode on BBC Sounds about her, by all accounts racism and xenophobia only scratched the surface with old Enid, sounds like she was complete c***.

Apparently old Enid had the face of a young Maggie Thatcher, then Pensions Secretary, tattooed on her lady garden, Ian. Circa 1967.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Honestly H, we can’t take you anywhere. A very fruity male actor acquaintance (white, middle class) appeared in the Aldi TV Christmas adverts a few years back sat round the Christmas dinner table beaming with his actor wife and kids under deep heterosexual cover. I don’t doubt Enid would have approved. A friend of Dorothy you say?

How shameful. The advertiser should have known better than that :)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You realise that the plight of the tens of millions of out-of-work white middle class TV advert actors is entirely down to this:

Daz.jpg

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
Sorry, but as a 8/9 year old girl, I loved reading the St. Clare’s and Malory Towers series (set in a girls boarding school) by Enid Blyton. My granddaughters love The Worst Witch, HarryPotter etc. Blyton’s we’re just a 1950’s forerunner. Girls being naughty and spiteful, good triumphing over bad.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
I’ve read the article. What on earth is your point? That text you cited is not in the OP.

And who cares? People expound on points not initially raised in the opening post. This isn’t a dissertation. That’s how discussion works.

Clearly her use of language in her books is very of its time and we now recognise the racist values within. I’m not super comfortable with desecrating her memory as a monster when these values were universally shared at the time (wrongly of course).

The point is you seemed to be disparaging an imagined modern reappraising of Blyton by invoking Huckleberry Finn.

Was just posting that quote to show that both were considered controversial over sixty years ago!

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Apparently old Enid had the face of a young Maggie Thatcher, then Pensions Secretary, tattooed on her lady garden, Ian. Circa 1967.

Mrs T. There is a politician in a million; a wonderful intellect and principles to match. Shame we don't have a few more such politicians nowadays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here