Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Electric shower advice please

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I find the expensive showers are a pain for going wrong. The £60 tritons I install for landlords I very rarely hear from them again if at all.
DIYers have a habit of installing 6mm cable for every shower I can smell the isolation switch burning away before I get my tools out 🤣
10mm t/e is not easy to install and expensive so I guess it puts people off.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
IMG_3873.png

Same model and wattage, but is swapping over to the dual one going to work installation wise? Will it affect the water pressure? Thanks again, never done this before.

And is it worth it? It’s £252 rather than £163 for a regular one

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Plus you would have had to install either a separate RCD or update the board & run a new supply from board. So about £800 later his shower may be suitable for use.
Yes, I told him he needed an electrician and I wouldn’t come back until he got one to do what you have said

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He kept arguing and was upset that I didn’t want to do the job, I told him he could die if I fitted it and I would go to prison
I reply with say you a family member get seriously injured or worse someone is going to come straight for me saying I didn’t do the job correctly regardless what was said at the time.
I do the job correctly for a fair amount or not at all.
I take pictures of everything now you just never know people will do anything to get money these days.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Go for the highest KW rated one you can afford, you’ll soon forget what you paid for it when you use it every day.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
View attachment 189663

Same model and wattage, but is swapping over to the dual one going to work installation wise? Will it affect the water pressure? Thanks again, never done this before.

And is it worth it? It’s £252 rather than £163 for a regular one
The install would be the same you are paying more for the larger integrated pump on the dual.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Is the dual one any good? Just wondering if it’ll be piss weak like in hotels at 9.5k/w but I’ve always wanted one like that

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
A couple of years ago an old chap asked me to change an electric shower in his bungalow, i couldn’t see an isolation switch and the very old fuse board only had 4 old type fuses.
The bathroom backed onto the kitchen and i worked out the shower was wired in with the cooker. :ohmy:
He couldn’t believe it when I said I wasn’t going to do the job as the existing shower had worked fine for many years. :facepalm:

When I was working for a Lettings Agency in Hove as a general property maintenance bloke around 15 years ago, they asked me to check out an electrical shower unit that was playing up. It was wired in with 2.5mm T&E which over heated and tripped the fuse. Apparently the landlord had installed it himself.

He was not amused when I told the tenants and Agency it was dangerous and should be condemned.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Is the dual one any good? Just wondering if it’ll be piss weak like in hotels at 9.5k/w but I’ve always wanted one like that

We've got the old non-combi system in our house with the cylinder tank etc... and we had the old pathetic mixer tap when we moved in. So I had fitted an Aqualisa shower with a pump and it's brilliant. Seriously powerful and has the duel shower bit.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Shower twice a month and don't heat the water. You'll get out of the shower stall a lot quicker and won't waste your time.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Corrected for you. :thumbsup:
Goes without saying, get it installed by a qualified electrician, with the correct wiring, fuse, etc. We did so at a previous house and never got an electric shock 🙂👍🏼

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
When I was working for a Lettings Agency in Hove as a general property maintenance bloke around 15 years ago, they asked me to check out an electrical shower unit that was playing up. It was wired in with 2.5mm T&E which over heated and tripped the fuse. Apparently the landlord had installed it himself.

He was not amused when I told the tenants and Agency it was dangerous and should be condemned.
It doesn’t surprise me with some landlords.

Wallace

Nov 9, 2016
Go for the highest KW rated one you can afford, you’ll soon forget what you paid for it when you use it every day.
Absolutely do not do this!!! Buy one that is the correct wattage for the supply cable, if you don't know what you are doing don't give out incorrect advice on a forum like this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here