Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Electric shower advice please

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Just hoping for a little advice please!

Our electric shower has conked. Basically it runs red hot on the lowest heat setting now, so I assume the thermostat has packed in at a guess. It’s over ten years old. It’s just about useable on the eco setting with the heat turned all the way up making it lukewarm.

The model is a Mira Jump 9.5k/w. We’ve been quoted £229.00 for a replacement, plus £50 p/h to install for 2hrs - so £329ish plus VAT.

Is this reasonable? Have no idea what I’m doing here and open to advice/suggestions.

Had a look at their official website and they want £429.00 for a new one installed which seems very expensive.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just hoping for a little advice please!

Our electric shower has conked. Basically it runs red hot on the lowest heat setting now, so I assume the thermostat has packed in at a guess. It’s over ten years old. It’s just about useable on the eco setting with the heat turned all the way up making it lukewarm.

The model is a Mira Jump 9.5k/w. We’ve been quoted £229.00 for a replacement, plus £50 p/h to install for 2hrs - so £329ish plus VAT.

Is this reasonable? Have no idea what I’m doing here and open to advice/suggestions.

Had a look at their official website and they want £429.00 for a new one installed which seems very expensive.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mira-spr...j-7WcnkL61GAHXKoUpYaAi8-EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Nope! I thought that too, but go through the process and it comes out as this;

IMG_3870.png

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I am sure the Mira Sprint from Screwfix mentioned earlier on this thread is a good replacement.
If not the Jump is available

Great. And the £100 installation sound about right?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Is the new shower the same kw power rating as the one it's replacing? If not it's worth checking your cable size.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
As long as the cable and pipe entry points are the same at the back should be a simple swap, same KW, I'd allow an hour at £75 so £100 not far off. I'm assuming they're picking a new one up for you too

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
As long as the cable and pipe entry points are the same at the back should be a simple swap, same KW, I'd allow an hour at £75 so £100 not far off. I'm assuming they're picking a new one up for you too
It’s the same model and k/w, we’re ordering it online and he’s installing it, because he doesn’t order online and the shower would be £70 more expensive if he buys it.

Thanks for the advice everyone

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
This, I had my electric shower replaced in my old house, the plumber fitted a new one which was more powerful and nearly set on fire.
A couple of years ago an old chap asked me to change an electric shower in his bungalow, i couldn’t see an isolation switch and the very old fuse board only had 4 old type fuses.
The bathroom backed onto the kitchen and i worked out the shower was wired in with the cooker. :ohmy:
He couldn’t believe it when I said I wasn’t going to do the job as the existing shower had worked fine for many years. :facepalm:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
A couple of years ago an old chap asked me to change an electric shower in his bungalow, i couldn’t see an isolation switch and the very old fuse board only had 4 old type fuses.
The bathroom backed onto the kitchen and i worked out the shower was wired in with the cooker. :ohmy:
He couldn’t believe it when I said I wasn’t going to do the job as the existing shower had worked fine for many years. :facepalm:
Plus you would have had to install either a separate RCD or update the board & run a new supply from board. So about £800 later his shower may be suitable for use.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here