Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you still have a piece of Goldstone turf?

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
My turf is in the garden of a North London house - I planted it to keep it alive but when I moved I couldn't make out where it was, so left it there. Maybe some little kid in the future kicks his first ball on part of the Goldstone.

I've got an envelope with some grass in it (granted, a bit more brown than green these days) from my first time on the pitch - promotion in '88. Garry Nelson's bullet header from Bremner's cross. I think I can still hear the sound of the ball thwacking against the net.

Marvellous. :)

Sep 18, 2003
Its still in its Pot going strong, along with a small piece of the east stand. Keep it well trimmed with the scissors, although I did let it go last summer for a few weeks and was delighted it seeded. They made a brilliant wedding present for my brother whose grass went the same way as many others!

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
Took two slices back to my old mans house and placed it in his back garden. When I visted him I always look at the spot and think of the goldstone.

Withdean, Falmer ? The goldstone will always be in my thoughts and heart. :(

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
goldstone.jpg

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
Still got a big bit in the front garden, tell it apart because it grows better and its sandy.

Did have a piece in a seed tray on top of the porch but someone knicked it cos they wanted the seed tray it was in. Priceless grass destroyed for a 99p seed tray.

The other piece I had in a seed tray in the garden died cos my son failed to water it and feed it like he should have and kept wasting the compost I bought for it.

I tell you you cannot trust anyonethese days.

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Mine has got submerged into the rest of the lawn, but I've still got my bit of the North goal net just above my computer...

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
That would be two pieces of Sussex grass in Birmingham Gardens then SOS.

I also have the whole seat i was last sitting on in the south stand and one day I will errect it in the garden for me to sit on whilst listening to the match coms on a wireless internet connection, one day!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I used to stand on the East Terrace, then the West in front of the West Stand after the East was condemned. I'd have taken something to remember it by but it's a bit difficult to dig up my bit of concrete!

I only got the grass because some bloke had brought a trowel. Everyone queued up behind him in the depressing rain that signalled the end of the Goldstone to get their bit of turf.

My mum thought I was nuts when I turned up at home clutching a square foot of grass and earth.

Strangely when I walked away from the Goldstone the last time I didn't really feel anything. It was only a few weeks later when I drove past and stopped to see all the bulldozers taking the place apart that it hit me.

Last edited:

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Brighton Fan '83 get your facts right!
It was a Bremner header from a Dublin cross. Nelson scored in the second half. I should know, I've got the Argus cover from 7/5/88 framed!

Bognor Blue & White

Aug 13, 2003
Middleton-on-Sea
I left my "1 foot of Goldstone grass" when i left my 1st wife.

Unfortunately I didn't cite(?) in the divorce proceedings and she got to keep it, along with house, dibs on my pension in twenty five years time, the furniture, 80% of my bank balance (£10.56) and the children.

However according to my youngest daughter it's still thriving in the corner of the back garden.

She (daughter) has been sneaking out for the last four years to water it and keep it going, I ask her to talk to it but she just gives me a funny look and tells me where to get off!!

Whereas the ex has been known to spit on it and swear at it, can't thnik why?

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Died after a year (the little patch I ripped up that day), I was so organised, even brought a plastic bag to the Donnie game!!

But my bloody dogs pissed all over it!!

Tazman

Jul 5, 2003
Seaford Where else!
I reached under the fencing after the first wave of demolition and grabbed myself a bit of the old toilet block behind the north stand!! :clap2:

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
simon swagbag said:
Brighton Fan '83 get your facts right!
It was a Bremner header from a Dublin cross. Nelson scored in the second half. I should know, I've got the Argus cover from 7/5/88 framed!

It was a bullet Bremner header from a left-footed Nelson cross actually - still have it on video.

I'm ashamed to say I let my little corner of the Goldstone die too, although I suppose it's given everlasting nourishment to the lucky flowerbed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here