Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you still have a piece of Goldstone turf?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I do, well in Dad's back garden anyway.

I have a sneaking suspicion that he may have polluted it by adding some rogue grass seed to a thinning patch, judging from the different shades of green now present.

Anyone else still sad enough to lovingly nurture their own square foot of Albion history? There really is a corner of a foreign field (Mid Sussex at any rate) which is forever Albion.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
I have a little circular pot with some sandy, dusty mud in it!

It lived on for two seasons after we left the Goldstone, but alas, it died, never to come back. it's all that sand from that bloody Bristol home game that rainy midweek night!

Don't even know where it is anymore actually...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hence, I think, Dad adding more grass seed to ours!

It's still more or less intact, and any neighbourhood cats who come sniffing around get threatened with a rake.

I wonder if they ever have to scrape cat crap off the pitch at Withdean, given its lovely rural location? Or badgers, rabbits, squirrels etc. From the "nature reserve" of course.

That would be the best excuse for a player screwing up ever.

"Sorry boss, I didn't catch the ball because it had cat shit on it".

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yep, planted in my folks' garden at two different houses.

My chair from the west stand is still knocking about somewhere too.

jeremy beadles hand

Jul 31, 2003
Hangleton
left it in my old house along with three goldstone seats.

Where did the clock at the Goldstone go? When I was nicking some turf some guy was walking off with it. Did it get auctioned or is it sitting in someones bedroom?

Mine lasted for 3 years. I even went through a stage of buying mineral water for it, to make it last longer!

A worm found it's way out after about a year. What a weird existence, a whole year in a small lump of turf (although I suppose turf is not much more interesting even when larger). Beat the example of the worm Blaine!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Had mine till last year when we took up all the grass and paved over the garden.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
just the shitty back of a directors chair with 'reserved' written on it.

Now pride of place mantlepiece position at my girlfriends house!!ha ha,unsurprisingly she doesn't like it.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I just have the memories...they will never leave!

Seagull Stew

Jul 30, 2003
Brighton
jeremy beadles hand said:
Where did the clock at the Goldstone go? When I was nicking some turf some guy was walking off with it. Did it get auctioned or is it sitting in someones bedroom?

Not sure now but it was attached to the ceiling of the Castle pub in Bexhill, which is a shame because that pub is a dive.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
mine died in the pot on the balcony of my old flat, although it did seed so its offspring is probably in the park up the road!

I still have a small lump of east terrace which I broke off and pocketed, as well as the Arsegas special and some wet photos !

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wet photos, LOL.

Looking back over the years, I can always tell which matches were played in rainy conditions as the programmes are wrinkled with missing bits at the edge where they got wet.

Wettest game ever was a midweek match v Northampton the year we got promoted from the old 3rd DIvision (1989?). They were up the top with us, but we caned them 3-0 and went on to finish 2nd behing Sunderland. It lashed it down all night.

I remember on the way home that night we came across a major crash on the A23 at Pyecombe. It was 2 Northampton fans in a Reliant Robin (no joke) which flipped over in the wet. They both died which was v sad.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
That's the beauty of programmes Edna, each one tells it's own little story, whether it be hotdog sauce, rain damage or whatever.

Don't have any Goldstone turf, but do have almost the entire 'NORTH WEST TERRACE' sign, ripped off in broad daylight, and weighing in at 8ft x 1.5ft.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wish I'd nicked something else from the Goldstone!

I have about 16 years worth of programmes though, including glorious cover shots ranging from Chris Hutchings golden mullet to Bobby's golden goals, through the lovely Danny Wilson, via Clive Walker and Perry Digweed to Johhny Crumplin Football Genius and Sergei Gotsmanov.

And Glenn Thomas :shootself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here