Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] *Different* Relaxing Holiday Locations

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I was in Durres in Albania last year. The people there are great, the food great and it's cheap. We were considered a
novelty being Brits. I would say only one thing. The beaches are beautiful (sand etc) but the facilities around the beaches are not
great and things are a little run down still. Needs massive upgrading to get to Spain and Italy etc standards.
Did you nip over to Tirana while you were there?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Bit of a strange reply - There's nothing to boast about as I've got nothing booked, just looking for some suggestions on places that are awesome but maybe not as well marketed as other places.

Also, I'm English and proud but I don't think it's wrong to want to avoid going somewhere that is trying to be a hot version of England with Stella on tap and Turkey dinosaurs with chips and beans at the buffet.

If that's what you want from a holiday then more power to you and hope you have a wonderful time!

Bit of a strange reply - There's nothing to boast about as I've got nothing booked, just looking for some suggestions on places that are awesome but maybe not as well marketed as other places.

Also, I'm English and proud but I don't think it's wrong to want to avoid going somewhere that is trying to be a hot version of England with Stella on tap and Turkey dinosaurs with chips and beans at the buffet.

If that's what you want from a holiday then more power to you and hope you have a wonderful time!
Absolutely get this and will be following this thread with interest. Quite a few years ago we wanted similar from a holiday but didn’t have loads to spend. The ‘budget’ Caribbean option was Margarita. We had an amazing time, helped by there being so few other tourists there especially as US citizens were barred from visiting Venezuela at the time. Only downside is that it’s much more difficult to get there now

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Would do a few days in Havana first….plenty to see/do. Varadero is much like any other ’strip’ full of international hotels and not the ‘real’ Cuba in my experience…….
I spent a month in Cuba & went varadero, Havana, baracoa, Santiago, Trinidad & vinales. I don't like all inclusives, so varadero was my least favourite. Definitely it's not the real Cuba. But he said they like all inclusives - hence the suggestion. & option of getting out to old Havana for a trip out

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Yes. What a great city indeed. There is a free guided tour every day and that really gave us our directions. Some
excellent museums too.
Oh brilliant!

I loved it there, so many new, colourful buildings being built, and loads to do. Only managed the Bunk Art 2 museum due to time constraints but hoping to go back to visit The House of Leaves -(ex-Sigurimi HQ)- if I get to Durres next year.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
It’s so difficult to recommend I for example choose holidays based on something historical and with that in mind the places I have visited more than once or would love to revisit my top locations are:

1, Istanbul it’s an amazing crossroads east meets west a cosmopolitan city like no other with more historical significance for Europe and the Middle East than anywhere I have ever visited.
2, Rome in my humble runs Istanbul a close second only reason it’s not my number 1 is the bloody Italians in Rome what a bunch they are.
3, Croatia Porec, Pula, Split, Dubrovnik all fabulous Full of history.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I love Tunisia 🇹🇳 - in fact I’m there right now - third time in the last 18 months- have also been to Turkey and Egypt in between- but pound for pound Tunisia wins.
I have however booked Fujairah in UAE for two weeks next year - holidays, hotels and resorts are what you make of them ☀️☀️☀️☀️

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Oh brilliant!

I loved it there, so many new, colourful buildings being built, and loads to do. Only managed the Bunk Art 2 museum due to time constraints but hoping to go back to visit The House of Leaves -(ex-Sigurimi HQ)- if I get to Durres next year.
The thing I loved most about it though was the youth there are so great, friendly and decent and want to get ahead and be good at what they choose to be. I think Albania has a very bright future and bloody good luck to them.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Oh brilliant!

The house of leaves was quite a traumatic experience, so brace yourself mate for a very upsetting and emotional gig.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
The thing I loved most about it though was the youth there are so great, friendly and decent and want to get ahead and be good at what they choose to be. I think Albania has a very bright future and bloody good luck to them.
They are indeed, but even the older people we met were genuinely pleased to see us and happy that people can now visit. They’re very proud of their country and, with learning English being mandatory from a young age,
They are indeed, helped by learning English being mandatory from a young age. Whilst Albanian clobber has been notoriously shabby in the past, the chicness of some of the women wouldn’t have looked out of place in Paris!

The older people too are so friendly and pleased that people can now visit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Lots of Albanians in the German health service as well. The ones I have met are a lovely bunch. As an aside, they also all seem to be very good looking

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Absolutely. It’ll be a shocker but I’ve read up on loads of stuff about the Sigurimi so not expecting it to be pleasant, but essential to understanding more about their past.
Mud Sweeter Than Honey by Margo Rejmer is a gruesome series of interviews with survivors (and family members - where no survivors exist!)- of the Sigurimi, detailing their methods and inhumane treatment of anyone who dared to think or express a bad thought about Hoxha, often using family members or neighbours to grass on them, with horrendous consequences.

I’ve been fascinated with the country for over 40 years; initially with it’s falling out with the rest of the world, its self-sufficiency, and its completely closed borders (and all the horrors that went on unseen by the outside world), to its current, modern drive towards stability, friendship, freedom and integration back into the modern world.

Quick question; which 2 people with links to Brighton also have links with Albania during the last 80 years?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Formentera is fantastic. A ferry from Ibiza but the total opposite. No bars or clubs as such or buildings over 4 storeys, just great beaches, scenery and superb restaurants. Nothing for kids except the beaches though. Only one all inclusive as far as I’m aware on the entire island. Although a Spanish island it’s 90% Italian tourists with only a few Brits. Very expensive, but worth it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here