Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] *Different* Relaxing Holiday Locations

stewardxxx

Oct 7, 2008
Brighton
Me and the Mrs both turn 40 next year and are gonna book a few holidays without the kids to celebrate.

She loves a holiday where you lie by the pool or on a beach and typically go all-inclusive and whilst I'm not against doing very little, I can't stand your typical all-inclusive resorts. So I have told her that we will get at least one relaxing break in but I want to go to a slightly less known place that hasn't been ruined by brits abroad yet.

I wanted to see what the well-traveled users of NSC suggest/have experienced.

Current research has said Albania and Montenegro are brilliant...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Only spent a couple of days in Montenegro but they were good ones. Cheaper, quieter and same weather as Croatia.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Hoping to go to Durres on the Albanian Adriatic coast next year (having visited Tirana earlier this year). Durres is only 35km from Tirana so easy to pop back and visit the multitude of museums I couldn’t cram in during my first visit.

There’s so much development going on in the country designed to further increase tourism, with a new airport due to open near Vlore (also on the Adriatic coast) next year, hopefully with direct flights from Gatwick.

It’s currently dirt cheap and increasing in popularity.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Mrs Fridge and I are about to have 5 days in Ragusa di Marina on Sicily which looks great value and is still very warm. Fly UK to Catania and then train down to Ragusa and local bus down to 'The Marina'.Loads of AirBNBs toi choose and all good value.

Will report back when we are there.

TNBA

TTF

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Mrs Fridge and I are about to have 5 days in Ragusa di Marina on Sicily which looks great value and is still very warm. Fly UK to Catania and then train down to Ragusa and local bus down to 'The Marina'.Loads of AirBNBs toi choose and all good value.

Will report back when we are there.

TNBA

TTF
Spent 2 weeks there 5 years ago and bloody loved it.

You absolutely MUST go to the old town of Ragusa, it’s stunning. Only a few Euros on local bus. Also a trip up Etna if you have time.

And the food, oh the food. Some great restaurants around the main square where locals just meet up, sit, chat and watch the world go by of an evening.

One of my favourite holidays.

Old Town
1728589588738.png

Promenade

1728589746613.png

ETNA

1728589681400.png

Attachments

• 1728589644360.png
    1728589644360.png
    739.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 1728589681799.png
    1728589681799.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Me and the Mrs both turn 40 next year and are gonna book a few holidays without the kids to celebrate.

She loves a holiday where you lie by the pool or on a beach and typically go all-inclusive and whilst I'm not against doing very little, I can't stand your typical all-inclusive resorts. So I have told her that we will get at least one relaxing break in but I want to go to a slightly less known place that hasn't been ruined by brits abroad yet.

I wanted to see what the well-traveled users of NSC suggest/have experienced.

Current research has said Albania and Montenegro are brilliant...
Holiday boast AND you slag off Brits in a single post. A solid 9/10. Good work.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is Costa Rica considered different nowadays?

I only mention it as someone I know is going there with TUI from Gatwick, which kinda surprised me, as it makes it more accessible than I would have guessed.

Although I guess if TUI are flying directly there, it could fail your "ruined by Brits" test.

stewardxxx

Oct 7, 2008
Brighton
Holiday boast AND you slag off Brits in a single post. A solid 9/10. Good work.
Bit of a strange reply - There's nothing to boast about as I've got nothing booked, just looking for some suggestions on places that are awesome but maybe not as well marketed as other places.

Also, I'm English and proud but I don't think it's wrong to want to avoid going somewhere that is trying to be a hot version of England with Stella on tap and Turkey dinosaurs with chips and beans at the buffet.

If that's what you want from a holiday then more power to you and hope you have a wonderful time!

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Bit of a strange reply - There's nothing to boast about as I've got nothing booked, just looking for some suggestions on places that are awesome but maybe not as well marketed as other places.

Also, I'm English and proud but I don't think it's wrong to want to avoid going somewhere that is trying to be a hot version of England with Stella on tap and Turkey dinosaurs with chips and beans at the buffet.

If that's what you want from a holiday then more power to you and hope you have a wonderful time!
Ignore the moody snowflakes. I agree with you. Rather get away from the typical tourist destinations and visit the less travelled areas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here