Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Derby County facing potential 21-point deduction

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Unlike Derby, fair play to the EFL who after past shysters used Administration for a lovely clean start, they’ve toughened the rules. A two year transfers embargo and all the punishments transfer to the phoenix club/club under new owner’s.

53F4E661-3242-44B8-BE52-49B4FBE882EE.png

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bloom stuck to the rules every club physically signed up to.

Mel Morris was a sly **** who didn’t, by a huge margin, giving them an unfair advantage in the Championship over honest owners and clubs. Karma, it failed. By many accounts the long ongoing EFL cases against the club have deterred billionaire buyers = double karma.

If Morris hadn’t have cheated, they’d have a much reduced payroll cost base and he’d still have wealth to trickle in gradually.

I’m not doubting any of that re EFL and most derby fans i know could see this coming and were getting tired of Mel Morris antics, but that hasn’t caused the situation they are in now. Simply Mel Morris has decided to stop bankrolling the club and could not sell it

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I’m not doubting any of that re EFL and most derby fans i know could see this coming and were getting tired of Mel Morris antics, but that hasn’t caused the situation they are in now. Simply Mel Morris has decided to stop bankrolling the club and could not sell it

Yeah - It became Mel Morris vs EFL (and Steve Gibson) and that should never have happened, nobody comes out of that looking good but I think that became Mel's focus and drove him in the wrong direction. While his tenure has proved ultimately unsuccessful, there are some positives - The academy is right up there, it's producing a wealth of talent and in a very large part that is down to his vision, the facilities around the stadium are far far improved and the media offering of the club is second to none. All that, of course, is peripheral and we are where we are, he's walked away and left us in a bit of a hole.

Great win yesterday mind, the atmosphere was incredible, if we can bottle the Us Vs Them approach and stick together, who knows???

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
"Derby County face a potential 21-point deduction after filing for administration. The club will be automatically issued with a 12-point deduction upon officially appointing administrators, which they are expected to do in the coming days, and also stand to be deducted nine points, plus a suspended three-point deduction, for a separate breach of the English Football League’s financial regulations."

Sticking the boot in aren't they?

Poor old Derby...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

They got away with it last season. No sympathy here.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Points reductions should stop and just relegate sides that breach the rules. Derby could get out of this and there would be little punishment.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Isnt Derby owner like Bloom a real Derby fan who has put millions in and its gone wrong. What happens to ground as I thought they sold it

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Yeah - It became Mel Morris vs EFL (and Steve Gibson) and that should never have happened, nobody comes out of that looking good but I think that became Mel's focus and drove him in the wrong direction. While his tenure has proved ultimately unsuccessful, there are some positives - The academy is right up there, it's producing a wealth of talent and in a very large part that is down to his vision, the facilities around the stadium are far far improved and the media offering of the club is second to none. All that, of course, is peripheral and we are where we are, he's walked away and left us in a bit of a hole.

Great win yesterday mind, the atmosphere was incredible, if we can bottle the Us Vs Them approach and stick together, who knows???

I love the optimism in that last sentence! A proper fan :thumbsup:
Sadly (for the fans) the reality is most likely to be a downward spiral along the lines of Wednesday & Sunderland at the very best. Reminiscent of Albion 20 or so years ago, also the result of lamentable owners. That’s where football needs to focus IMO.
No crowing here

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I'm genuinely saddened by what's happening to Derby and the game in general tbh. It's high time that club finances, in particular within the FL, we're spotlighted in a much more comprehensive way. Derby aren't and sadly won't be the last, something we all surely know... How it can be deemed sustainable for clubs to basically declare bankruptcy before any genuine alarm bells start ringing, or conversely how a train wreck can been foreseen by some distance... yet everyone just lets it happen anyway, something utterly beyond me.

Clubs represent so much more than simply 'football' ... yet if we continue to see such apathy towards blatant financial mismanagement, we're going to see a wealth of clubs fold and go to the wall... especially following the past 18 months, where money has simply been bleeding from clubs whilst we all put our heads in the sand and hope that when we look up everyone is 'okay.' Quite clearly money in football, together with the hyperbole surrounding the two top divisions has created a vortex, which is completely inescapable.

I for one am glad we didn't blow 30 million + on that 'striker', the likes of Palace are more than welcome to manage the burden/risk factor... it's not for me.

Whilst we all look up to the promised land, I'd spend time looking down and supporting smaller clubs, developing a proper wage cap, more stringent financial regulation/legislation... before we go down and there's literally no one left to play against!

Owners too should face jail time if they're guilty of ruining the fabric of a club and the local community... if we want to save out national game it's time to put the game before greed and personal self interest and fast.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Isnt Derby owner like Bloom a real Derby fan who has put millions in and its gone wrong. What happens to ground as I thought they sold it

It was ‘sold’ to another company within the group, to try to circumvent FFP by creating the false impression of a profitable football business.

It’s safe.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Owners too should face jail time if they're guilty of ruining the fabric of a club and the local community... if we want to save out national game it's time to put the game before greed and personal self interest and fast.

Amen to that, not sure it could be implemented but I’d have been doing cartwheels for days if that had happened to Archer and Stanley

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It was ‘sold’ to another company within the group, to try to circumvent FFP by creating the false impression of a profitable football business.

It’s safe.

Or a separate asset to be bartered outside of administrative arrangements?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
A club the size of Derby will always bounce back. It’s just their “turn”, there’s nothing really to see here crap as it is for the true fans (the ones that don’t desert them in L1 and possibly L2)

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I'm genuinely saddened by what's happening to Derby and the game in general tbh. It's high time that club finances, in particular within the FL, we're spotlighted in a much more comprehensive way. Derby aren't and sadly won't be the last, something we all surely know... How it can be deemed sustainable for clubs to basically declare bankruptcy before any genuine alarm bells start ringing, or conversely how a train wreck can been foreseen by some distance... yet everyone just lets it happen anyway, something utterly beyond me.

Clubs represent so much more than simply 'football' ... yet if we continue to see such apathy towards blatant financial mismanagement, we're going to see a wealth of clubs fold and go to the wall... especially following the past 18 months, where money has simply been bleeding from clubs whilst we all put our heads in the sand and hope that when we look up everyone is 'okay.' Quite clearly money in football, together with the hyperbole surrounding the two top divisions has created a vortex, which is completely inescapable.

I for one am glad we didn't blow 30 million + on that 'striker', the likes of Palace are more than welcome to manage the burden/risk factor... it's not for me.

Whilst we all look up to the promised land, I'd spend time looking down and supporting smaller clubs, developing a proper wage cap, more stringent financial regulation/legislation... before we go down and there's literally no one left to play against!

What makes you think, having seen this mismanagement of clubs go on for decades already, things will change? Especially when there’s more ego and wealth in football than ever before? Not.Going.To.Happen.Ever.

Laudable though, and I don’t disagree. Falls apart when you add reality sadly.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
What makes you think, having seen this mismanagement of clubs go on for decades already, things will change? Especially when there’s more ego and wealth in football than ever before? Not.Going.To.Happen.Ever.

Laudable though, and I don’t disagree. Falls apart when you add reality sadly.

I know, and yes (sadly) you're probably absolutely correct.

It's a shame, it really is but then again there's more than the liquidity of your local football club to worry about right now... again, sadly.

I'd just settle for humanity to get just one thing right, just once, you know before I pass on... alas... I'm not hopeful.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I love the optimism in that last sentence! A proper fan :thumbsup:
Sadly (for the fans) the reality is most likely to be a downward spiral along the lines of Wednesday & Sunderland at the very best. Reminiscent of Albion 20 or so years ago, also the result of lamentable owners. That’s where football needs to focus IMO.
No crowing here

Optimism, that's what it's all about isn't it?!? :) Last time Derby were in a similar position was in 1984, we were nearly bankrupt, going down to the old third division, on our knees., The next 5 years, not without their troubles, were absolutely brilliant. The support, especially away from home and in the first couple of years, was incredible. A mediocre year in the third then back to back promotions, back in the big time to finish the decade with a backbone of Peter Shilton, Mark Wright and Dean Saunders. They were my teenage years so maybe I'm clinging to that hope but the response of fans today is similar and that's heartening to see. All that said, the big issues will be out of the clubs hands so it's all about what happens in the next few weeks....

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Derby fans have already shown their incredible loyalty, despite their issues still an audience in excess of 20,000 on Saturday, magnificent support.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Wycombe must be quite annoyed....

Wycombe might not be taking this lying down.

Wycombe considering legal action against League One relegation
Wycombe Wanderers are considering taking legal action over their relegation to League One last season following Derby County's move towards administration.

The club were relegated from the Championship after finishing a point behind the Rams with Derby owner Morris admitting his club would have been at risk of a points deduction if it had submitted accounts for 2017-18 without using the club's controversial amortisation method.

Derby were subsequently fined £100,000 and order to file restated accounts but, despite the threat of a points deduction that would have seen them relegated instead of Wycombe, they never materialised in time.

Speaking to BBC Sport about the on-going situation, Wycombe chairman and chief executive Rob Couhig said: "Not being in the Championship this year has cost us, on the surface, around £10m.

"It has probably cost another £5-10m in residual monies that would have come from us being in the Championship for a second year. It is a £15-20m loss.

"I don't know if there is a viable claim or not but there is no question we will look.

"Representing Wycombe, I am furious. He (Mel Morris) knew last summer that the club would end up with a points deduction and they made a deliberate policy to fight it until the end so they could get to this season, keep themselves in the Championship and keep the Championship money and put us back into League One."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here