Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Day trip to France!

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
whats the place ACTUALLY like, beyond calais, paris and chamonix?

french jokes aside.. i've been to those places and they're alrite.. bit grim sometimes. i leave for a european tour on sunday and we're playing places like reims, lille and lyon....

am i gonna get lynched for speaking english or is everyone really quite pleasant? :)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Raphael Meade said:

french jokes aside.. i've been to those places and they're alrite.. bit grim sometimes. i leave for a european tour on sunday and we're playing places like reims, lille and lyon....

am i gonna get lynched for speaking english or is everyone really quite pleasant? :)

I went to Lille a couple of years back, lovely place with a great film museum as I remember.. and the people are lovely really!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Get your booze in Eastenders and then take the A16 to Belgium for your fags.You can get there in 30mins if you put your foot down.I do love French motorways.I've done Crawley to Dover in an hour and ten mins before.Wouldn't recommend it though.Also feel your car up with fuel over there too

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Raphael Meade said:

I find the French outside of Paris to be exceptionally friendly and helpful.

Lille is lovely and well worth a day trip in its own right - the Sunday market is immense and you can pick up anything there - I half expect Deano to pop over to see if he can find a striker and a right back.

Lyons is beautiful and is the gastronomic centre of France so you're bound to eat well. Never been to Reims but have heard good things.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Try and speak French if you can even if it is only bonjour. They appreciate the effort and help you out when you get stuck.
As Gwylan said, the French outside of Pari are very friendly and helpful.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I was working in Rouen at a customer site and they refused to speak to me in anything but french and seeing as my french extends to Bonjour and Ferme La Fenetre I was f***ed, thankfully I got one of our French engineers to translate.

The ridiculous thing was when we went out for dinner with me they were able to speak to me in English then just at work they refuse. Very Odd atitude to have.

Rouen is a nice place by the way.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Raphael Meade said:

been to Brittany, the Loire valley, Dordogne ( looked at getting a house there) Jura, South, South west...in fact almost all over france and love the place. there again, I love Italy and Spain so I guess I am biased.

When I retire i want a house in Tuscany!!

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Hoggy said:
anyone know of any special offers on a cheap return crossing to France for a day, ideally looking to go next week, from Dover to Calais.

Need to stock up on Booze!

Thanks in advance

Book a special day trip on www.poferries.co.uk/dailymail it will cost £17 return. Then pre order with www.wineandbeer.co.uk part of Majestic. Providing your order is over £300 request £30 off the total instead of free ferry trip. The £13 saved should pay for your fuel.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
The French. I dont see anything wrong with them.

They have one of the fastest trains in the world the TGV that managed to do 513km/h, of course there is also the bullet train to compete with.

We have Virgin Trains that do 125mph oh and the Eurostar that does 140mph

They make Renaults and won the Forumla One.

We make ????

They have excellent hypermarkets with cheap booze

We have Tescos

In the summer you can go down south and get a proper holiday

We have Blackpool

In the Winter you can visit the Alps of Pyreneees

We have Scotland

There goverment and also their people hate the Americans :clap: thats got to take some balls.

Our goverment loves the Americans and thinks its cool to put our troops in danger.

Last edited:

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Hoggy said:
anyone know of any special offers on a cheap return crossing to France for a day, ideally looking to go next week, from Dover to Calais.

Thanks in advance

Book a special day trip on www.poferries.co.uk/dailymail it will cost £17 return. Then pre order with www.wineandbeer.co.uk part of Majestic. Providing your order is over £300 request £30 off the total instead of free ferry trip. The £13 saved should pay for your fuel.

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Re: Day trip to France!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Hoggy

Thanks in advance
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
Biscuit said:
I went to Lille a couple of years back, lovely place with a great film museum as I remember.. and the people are lovely really!

Seconded..... left a (expensive) camera on the back of a restaurant chair, left for home that day and they returned it to me at home without asking for postage !!.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here