Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Conkers

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Indeed. Murdered by health and safety.

Do people recall all the supposed old tricks to give you a champion conker? Soak in vinegar then dry out. Bake in the oven which obviously didn't go down too well. And my personal master plan in which I coated it in my sisters mat nail gloss. She was not happy! :)
Smashed one lad at school, polyfiller explosion everywhere, bloody cheat

Professor Plum

NSC Patron
Jul 27, 2024
A sad moment in the history of our sport. A black day indeed.
I fear we are finding the chap guilty without due process. He had a replica conker in his pocket which he’s fully admitted to, but explained that this was merely an amusing trinket that he, as a conker enthusiast, liked to carry around with him. It’s telling that the complainant was the bitter and disappointed opponent. Whatever happened to the notion of a fair trial and the need for compelling evidence?

Should I ever be tried on a serious charge, I sincerely hope that no one here is on the jury. In my imagination I can already sense the judge reaching for the dreaded black cap.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I fear we are finding the chap guilty without due process. He had a replica conker in his pocket which he’s fully admitted to, but explained that this was merely an amusing trinket that he, as a conker enthusiast, liked to carry around with him. It’s telling that the complainant was the bitter and disappointed opponent. Whatever happened to the notion of a fair trial and the need for compelling evidence?

Should I ever be tried on a serious charge, I sincerely hope that no one here is on the jury. In my imagination I can already sense the judge reaching for the dreaded black cap.
I sincerely hope you wouldn’t be acting as your own defence based on that showing!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Using a conker, actually made out of concrete is just part of the modern game surely?

It's just a player being smart, using his experience

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Using a conker, actually made out of concrete is just part of the modern game surely?

It's just a player being smart, using his experience
You’re right, and it’s great when a shithouse is on your team, but if you’re not a fan then you hate to see it happening in the real Beautiful Game.

To be honest, it sums up my feelings on Elite Conkers nowadays - it’s all about the money. I’m going back to watching grassroots stuff

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
tbf the video on the news showing him swap conkers from his pockets and his admission that he carries a metal conker "for luck" is rather suspicious

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I found it more concerning when he said he used the conkers in his pocket to amuse children !!
It was perfectly innocent, he would simply invite children to reach into his pocket and squeeze the hard item inside. Nothing dodgy about that. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here