Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Comics that take me back…

Jul 20, 2003
Why does Rupert The Bear wear checked trousers?

Because he's a ****.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
IMG_2249.jpeg

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Not sure if it's Jam the Man on here who is a serious Beano collector. I once bought a couple of 1940s editions off whoever it was, the BHA fan who won the Coca Cola £250k that we splashed on CK-R. I've kept many Beanos and Whizzer and Chips comics, late 70s/early 80s, plus have many annuals, a couple of Beano annuals from the 1960s, plus similar era comic editions bought on eBay. They're just taking up space really, but you're loathed to part with them. Still got my Gnasher badge with fur trim and moving eyes from joining the fan club back in the day.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
The Commando and War comics were A5 size booklets costing a 1/- (That‘s a shilling to you or 5p in this new fangled currency). As someone has already alluded to the dialogue would be very dodgy in today’s world. Some of the reasonable examples would go like this :

“ Achtung! Englander Spitfuer!”

“ Take that you filthy Hun!”

“Donner und blitzen!”

“ That’s one less Jerry to worry about.”

and the immortal “ So for you Tommy, the var is over!”

Dem’s were the days. :thumbsup: :drink:

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I used to read Mad. Was it not american?
It originated from America, and was published in numerous countries. The English version was printed by Thorpe & Porter in Leicester, from 1961. There were 381 monthly issues.

I decided to sell my collection years ago, and was offered a derisory £200 on Gumtree. In disgust, I donated them to The Martlets hospice shop. I knew they could eBay them and obtain a decent price.

To cut a long story short, I received a letter from The Martlets, thanking me for the £46 they'd raised !

I was so incensed that several years later I paid probably about a grand to replace them. Suffice to say, I won't be giving them to The Martlets to dispose of !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Loads over the years. Beano and Dandy, Whizzer and Chips, Cheeky Weekly (I remember buying the first edition with a free paper airplane thing), Shoot, Match and Look In. I remember having a pile of Beanos for the car trip to Newcastle in 1979.

Started reading Sounds quite early and then added Kerrang to my reading list.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
As a "rag dealer" (if that is what you call it in UK?) I absolutely hate comics. Nearly impossible to sell and very little money in it.

When I was a kid I had some 3000 comics though, 90% Donald Duck. I often spent hours in the bathtub reading Donald Duck.

Its a little bit sad its a dead culture because people really cared about their comics (hence the availability to this day, unlike with toys and other old stuff that people were more keen to bin).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Loads over the years. Beano and Dandy, Whizzer and Chips, Cheeky Weekly (I remember buying the first edition with a free paper airplane thing), Shoot, Match and Look In. I remember having a pile of Beanos for the car trip to Newcastle in 1979.

Started reading Sounds quite early and then added Kerrang to my reading list.
You've gone down in my estimation HT 😛 The kool kids religiously bought Sounds on a Wednesday, the piss-poor relation to the glories of NME bought on a Thursday. And what a joy it was to go to a gig in London on a Wednesday and pick up an early edition of NME from the little stall outside Victoria station before catching the last train home

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Commando and War comics were A5 size booklets costing a 1/- (That‘s a shilling to you or 5p in this new fangled currency). As someone has already alluded to the dialogue would be very dodgy in today’s world. Some of the reasonable examples would go like this :

“ Achtung! Englander Spitfuer!”

“ Take that you filthy Hun!”

“Donner und blitzen!”

“ That’s one less Jerry to worry about.”

and the immortal “ So for you Tommy, the var is over!”

Dem’s were the days. :thumbsup: :drink:
I had hundreds of them. When I lived in SA. Up the road was a swap shop that you could “ rent” or swap a comic for10 cents. You just brought it back and swapped it for another one. Loved the commando ones

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here