Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Comics that take me back…

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I know it def has been discussed before but could not find a specific comic thread.

Nevertheless, I came across these today in the Sally Army shop in Lancing. A fantastic charity shop btw.

I recall many of them but not The Broons. It’s made by the porridge gobblers so may not have made it doon south. But I do remember Our Wullie very fondly. My Gran had them and I used to read them when we visited. Happy days. So I purchased one of those for old times sake.

Any you liked here?
IMG_3886.jpeg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I've got a complete collection of British 'Mad' magazines. Wonderful artwork, combined with zany humour. They're virtually mint and virtually worthless.
I used to read Mad. Was it not american?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Got a load of Rupert annuals in the loft, used to get one for Christmas every year. Got the Dandy, Whizzer and Chips and Beano comics delivered every week (generous grandparents!).

seagurl

Mar 21, 2012
I kid you not but as a very young child I was bought a comic called 'Bimbo'. This would be end of the 1950s. I think Bimbo was the name of a penguin? I have never seen any copies of this comic since then or met anyone who has a memory of it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I used to get Oor Wullie and Broons annuals every year (they came out alternate years) from my Scottish relatives. I had quite a collection but they all went to the charity shop.

I loved them but I did wonder about what Ma Broon had been up to - all the kids looked so different. Didn't Pa Broon ever worry about their paternity?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I used to get Oor Wullie and Broons annuals every year (they came out alternate years) from my Scottish relatives. I had quite a collection but they all went to the charity shop.

I loved them but I did wonder about what Ma Broon had been up to - all the kids looked so different. Didn't Pa Broon ever worry about their paternity?
Hmm. Could be a comedy show? Mrs Broon's Boys?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Swift, Eagle, Victor, and various Beanos and Dandies. Also those war little booklet things forget the names might be Ace?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Fireball and Eagle.
There was a football based one which merged with Roy of the rovers too. I think it had Billy's boots and Hotshot Hamish in it.

Sorry didn't read the OP properly.

Never a fan of Rupert the Bear. Way too wholesome.
Much more a Beano/Dandy/ Whizzer and Chips family.

In my mid teens I briefly dated a girl whose family had moved down from Scotland..
She introduced me to Oor Wullie and the Broons.
It's basically Beano/Dandy for the Scots., same artists and writers, I think.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
I used to get the Tiger and my brother had the Victor. Both were great comics with unbelievable (absolutely!) story lines. So the Tiger had Roy of the Rovers but the Victor won with Alf Tupper - the Tough of the Track, Gorgeous Gus - the aristocratic lord who owned and played for Redburn Rovers. There was Johnny Cougar, the Seminole Indian wrestler and General Jumbo who had a radio controlled army of miniature soldiers.

Check out Gorgeous Gus on Google - if we didn’t have Tony Bloom then Gus, aka the Earl of Boote, would definitely be the man to take us forward! :clap:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
M&D used to buy me Shoot! every week, and my Grandad would visit with a shiny copy of Goal!

Was disappointed, nay gutted and scarred for life when they merged and after the first week where I was given both, my football weekly intake was smashed in half.

Other than that, usual guff....Topper, Beezer but mainly anything that offered a Starmer type freebie such as a whoopee cushion or a flying saucer spinner.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Whoopee was my favourite, with the Beano close behind.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I know it def has been discussed before but could not find a specific comic thread.

Nevertheless, I came across these today in the Sally Army shop in Lancing. A fantastic charity shop btw.

I recall many of them but not The Broons. It’s made by the porridge gobblers so may not have made it doon south. But I do remember Our Wullie very fondly. My Gran had them and I used to read them when we visited. Happy days. So I purchased one of those for old times sake.

Any you liked here? View attachment 190334
As @Gwylan says, Oor Wullie and The Broons were DC Thomson annuals that came out on alternate years. No idea why. They were never comics in their own right tho, they were comic strips in the Fun Section - such as it was - of that most Scottish of institutions The Sunday Post

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here