Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classic albums that you just can’t get into

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
As with classic literature, I have never felt the need to try to enjoy something just because others say it is a classic. Same with Ballet, Opera etc, if you don't like it you don't like it. There is so much out there to enjoy without forcing yourself to enjoy things just because lots of others do. It is nothing to be ashamed of imo.

Absolutely. I have very clear ideas about what I do and don’t like in most areas, but am always willing to try. It’s always recognising that other people have every right to like it, and that there is probably plenty I would like that others most certainly would not like.

A late friend of ours seemed to take it as a personal insult when once in conversation I said I thought Bohemian Rhapsody was the worst #1 record ever. I did something on the radio a few years ago about songs I didn’t like and borrowed a Led Zeppelin’s greatest hits album to do it. I listened to it right through thinking I might like it now, I very much didn’t.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
We may have done this before, I am quite old and may have forgotten

Inspired by the 1972 album thread that some think only has a handful of great albums. Some of you don’t even need to listen to them to have an opinion which is just plain bloody weird to me :shrug:

Two spring to mind, I may be back with more

Joni Mitchell - Blue
Johnny Cash- most albums but At Folsom Prison is the one most list as his “best” album

I have tried but feck me, I can’t stand either of them :shrug:

Sorry, I don't waste too much time thinking about things I don't like?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sorry, I don't waste too much time thinking about things I don't like?

I am nearly always happy to give a recommended album a few listens before I make a final judgement. Mostly it doesn't work if I don't rate it on the first listen but two albums come to mind that I absolutely love having dismissed them on first hearing:

Deja Vu by CSNY
Raising Sand by Alison Krauss and Robert Plant. In fact it was someone on here who told me to stick with it for few listens when I had dismissed it out of hand on the first listen.

I find that many albums grow on you. In the days of LPs I would listen to albums quite a few times, even if I wasn't keen on first listening. These days, sadly I just dismiss things out of hand as the choice is so great, so it's easy to move on. Back then I didn't have a bigger choice than my record collection, these days I download stuff, listen and often move on. A song will come up on shuffle and I'll think "WTF is this, it's great or it's shit" but without looking I generally don't have a clue who it is even though it is in my itunes collection.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
The Wall
Brothers In Arms
Born To Run
Wildflowers

Brothers in Arms was one of the first albums I bought on CD and as they were £15+ each I had a Pioneer 6 disc multiplay cartridge that was full and all I could listen to were those 6 albums until I could afford more.

I must have listened to them all 100s of times.

Recently put Brothers in Arms on in the car on Spotify is a fit of nostalgia..............................it was ****

(The other albums were - T'pau Bridge of Spies, Clannad - music from Robin hood, Pet Shop Boys Introspective, and 2 others Im struggling to remember but this was 30 years ago)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can't agree with that last assertion. John Paul Jones and John Henry Bonham Shirley?

Rick Laird and Billy Cobham, Shirly?

Or was it Colin Hodgkinson and Tony Hicks?

Or Sly and Robbie?

Or Steve Severin and Budgie

Or....

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As with classic literature, I have never felt the need to try to enjoy something just because others say it is a classic. Same with Ballet, Opera etc, if you don't like it you don't like it. There is so much out there to enjoy without forcing yourself to enjoy things just because lots of others do. It is nothing to be ashamed of imo.
Nothing to do with trying to like it. If it's a big thing amongst your friends and acquaintances, and of a genre you're generally interested in, you listen to it to see what everybody is enthusing about. It may become a classic, but if you don't like it, or just don't get it, that seems to me to be what the OP is asking.

For me, iconic classics that I'll be more than happy never to listen to again include:
Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys;
Tapestry by Carol King;
Astral Weeks by Van Morrison;
........ and anything by Yes or Bruce Springsteen..... (sorry!)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Pet sounds
Anything by Muse
OK Computer

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am nearly always happy to give a recommended album a few listens before I make a final judgement. Mostly it doesn't work if I don't rate it on the first listen but two albums come to mind that I absolutely love having dismissed them on first hearing:

Deja Vu by CSNY
Raising Sand by Alison Krauss and Robert Plant. In fact it was someone on here who told me to stick with it for few listens when I had dismissed it out of hand on the first listen.

I find that many albums grow on you. In the days of LPs I would listen to albums quite a few times, even if I wasn't keen on first listening. These days, sadly I just dismiss things out of hand as the choice is so great, so it's easy to move on. Back then I didn't have a bigger choice than my record collection, these days I download stuff, listen and often move on. A song will come up on shuffle and I'll think "WTF is this, it's great or it's shit" but without looking I generally don't have a clue who it is even though it is in my itunes collection.
I can relate to that. I think that as we get older, our attention span - at least as far as music is concerned - gets shorter and shorter. Plus a tacit acknowledgement that we've got less and less time left to spare sitting cross-legged on the floor (not that you can do that with artificial hips anyway!) listening to a whole LP, both sides, until the small hours and still get up bright as a button the next morning!

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021

Deja Vu by CSNY

Icy, I agree with both your choices and also the sentiments about repeat listening.
In my younger days I would buy an LP every week or two, then as I got older 2 or 3 CDs every week or so. I would then listen to them on repeat for days and weeks and they either became part of the main listening pile, or part of the occasional listen pile, or the never going to listen this ever again pile.
Nowadays, I listen to a new album on Spotify once or twice and then move on. It is rare that one sticks any more

Back to the topic: I once bought a Flaming lips CD, played it several times, couldn't get along with it and put it in the discard pile. A year later I bought the same CD forgetting that I had already bought it, started listening to it and thought I know these songs! I still thought they were rubbish!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here