Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Chris Hoy

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Very sad news indeed, especially as he has had his hand forced in telling the news, where he wanted to keep it private.

Without sounding pious, this terrible disease effects all blokes, no matter how fit you are, especially where there are no symptoms!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Just awful news. The worst.

And with his wife having MS, it’s just not fair. Their poor kids.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Geez

“The father of two, whose children are 10 and seven, in an interview with The Sunday Times Magazine, said he originally went to the doctor in September last year.

He thought he had suffered a shoulder strain because he was “getting a bit old for lifting heavy weights”.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
It truly is.

A few years back, I lost a close friend to a brain tumour. She lived a healthy life, exercised regularly, ate all the right things, didn't drink excessively, and was a picture of health. Then one day, completely out of the blue, she collapsed at home. It was a stage 4 glioblastoma, the most aggressive brain cancer you can get. The tumour was too deep for them to operate, and she passed away about 9 months later.

It brought home to me just how cruel cancer is. It doesn't matter how healthy your lifestyle, what great shape you can be in, if you're on it's list, it'll get you anyway. Just so heartbreaking and upsetting.

I understand Hoy has been given 2-4 years. There just aren't the words.
That is awful awful and I feel for you losing your friend. I have suffered with severe health anxiety over cancer for a cpl of decades (losing a cpl of family members to the disease). I just cannot believe that we don’t have any control. Yes there are awful cases like your friends however to say if you’re on the list you’re on the list is something I don’t believe. You can absolutely tip the balance in your favour by having a mainly veg based diet, exercising, not smoking etc. A great book I read called ‘Anti cancer’ talks about this. I have to believe this otherwise I will be worried all my life.

The news of Chris hoy has broken my heart. I don’t know much about cycling but he seemed like a great guy but it’s the fact he has 2 young kids. Breaks my heart. It’s my biggest fear and I just don’t know how people deal with news like this especially so young.

Cheggers

Jul 28, 2011
Bang! And the dirt is gone.
This is truly sad news. You tend to think of olympians as being super human, almost immortal due to their great feats. As someone has said, cancer does not discriminate. And with young kids as well, it is tragic. I hope he and his family can live and make some lovely memories before it really takes a hold. Cancer really is a c#nt. It does remind you that, if you can, you need to live your life and squeeze as much fun out of it as you can, for the short time we are here.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I was watching the track cycling world championships last night and he was punditing. I thought he'd lost some of his bulk but seemed well. I was gobsmacked when I heard this this morning.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Very sad news indeed, especially as he has had his hand forced in telling the news, where he wanted to keep it private.

Without sounding pious, this terrible disease effects all blokes, no matter how fit you are, especially where there are no symptoms!
Digesting this news and with the fact that prostate cancer is often asymptomatic until it spreads, as you say, it made me wonder why PSA testing isn’t done as a matter of course at an earlier age. It just seems such a simple test that can be done with routine bloods.

Anyone know why?

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Digesting this news and with the fact that prostate cancer is often asymptomatic until it spreads, as you say, it made me wonder why PSA testing isn’t done as a matter of course at an earlier age. It just seems such a simple test that can be done with routine bloods.

Anyone know why?
This is the reason why Pristate Cancer UK are pushing for a national screening for the disease.
Too many times I hear and see men getting told different opinions from docs on why they cannot have the PSA checked.
It makes me mad IMO, as for my own position I want to docs as I had lost weight and she sent off to check all aspects.
Previous to that, I'd been told my weight was fine, so I pushed back.
My consultant said that he's pushing for men to be checked at 40+, even if their dads have had it.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here