Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Chesney Hawkes

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
...I did read an article a couple of years ago that said that Slade get £500k a year from their Christmas song bobbins.

That explains why Wizzard wish it could be Christmas everyday.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The one and only.

I am sure all of NSC will join me in wishing Chesney Hawkes a very happy 50th Birthday.

:clap2:

Have you ever considered becoming a life coach?

Every day I have doubts nagging away at me and yet somehow you sail through life with such certainty. I am sure all of NSC would love you to share your secret.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm sure. I look about as much like him as I do Cucurella.

[MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] is alluding to an incident with me, my brother, said one-hit-wonder and his hangers on in a well known Brighton nightclub where copious "refreshments" had been taken. And that's all you're getting :blush:

I wouldn't even sniff at that. :blush:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I saw Chesney Hawkes performing in the Event II back in about 2002. He tried playing some other songs but no one give a sh*t and started shouting at him to get on with it and play his only song.

schmunk

VAR is a net positive
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I'm curious about this too.

My Daughter's Beau publishes his music on Spotify , as an unknown artist.
Apparently lots of playlists will end up playing his music, as it falls into genre's which might appeal to some users.
He makes a few hundred quid a month from it (allegedly).

Seeing as I regularly leave my playlists playing on repeat for hours and sometimes days on end, I would imagine some 80s bands must be coining it in.

I guess the revenue must be coming from licenses and advertising.
but as you say it does seem like a triflingly small amount of money to be shared around a huge number of artists.

Spotify pays on average $0.004 per song stream, i.e. about £1 for every 340 streams - "a few hundred quid a month" suggests his songs are being streamed at least 100,000 times per month!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I am not sure how it works but I did read an article a couple of years ago that said that Slade get £500k a year from their Christmas song bobbins.

I also read that if the song 'Happy Birthday', obviously not the Altered Images or Stevie Wonder songs of the same name, features in a film or TV programme anywhere in the world the estate of the composer is paid a one off payment of $10,000.

Which I'd imagine has mounted up over the years.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I am not sure how it works but I did read an article a couple of years ago that said that Slade get £500k a year from their Christmas song bobbins.

Considering the legwork they did over the years and how great a live act they were I'm not going to begrudge Sir Nodsworth a penny... :rock:

schmunk

VAR is a net positive
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I also read that if the song 'Happy Birthday', obviously not the Altered Images or Stevie Wonder songs of the same name, features in a film or TV programme anywhere in the world the estate of the composer is paid a one off payment of $10,000.

Which I'd imagine has mounted up over the years.

Yes, although it's now been public domain for the last few years, so free to use.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Spotify pays on average $0.004 per song stream, i.e. about £1 for every 340 streams - "a few hundred quid a month" suggests his songs are being streamed at least 100,000 times per month!

Yeah, I'm sure it was a massive exaggeration.
Probably twice over, with him exaggerating to my Daughter and her then exaggerating to me.

However Spotify and the others do offer a global market to artists that was previously untapped.
I would imagine this is a much larger revenue stream for artists than the old broadcast radio royalties arrangements.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
All Radio and TV stations are licensed by PRS (and their international equivalents). The BBC pay PRS around £50m+ per year for all the music used on their TV and radio stations which goes to the songwriters and their music publishers.
£50 per play approx. on BBC National Radio (split between publisher and writer) helps (Nik Kershaw who wrote the song) pay a few bills.

PPL license the sound recording on behalf of the performers and labels and the BBC probably pay a similar amount to them and Chesney will get some of that as well as record royalties.

About 70% of Spotify's subscription income goes to the labels (50%) and Publishers (20%) so your £10 a month is £5 to the labels/performers and £2 to the publishers/songwriters.

The trick is getting your music played all the time on TV and radio - hence David Lowe for example who wrote the BBC news music has made a fortune from it.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

I imagine they probably do do very well out of it, but that's from TV, film and radio. Spotify pay artists very, very little.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I imagine they probably do do very well out of it, but that's from TV, film and radio. Spotify pay artists very, very little.

Reading backwards after posting I see people have already made this point.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
In a childlike demonstration of power I once permitted Chesney’s greatest hit to be the only tune played on the stereo during dinner service in my kitchen. 93 times :lol: the waiting staff were losing their minds :lol:

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Now following in the footsteps of musical megastar Jane McDonald, and gigging on cruise ships :facepalm:
He’s been doing that for a while. Nice little earner where they get a couple of weeks in the Caribbean for about an hours work a night (and not every night either).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here