Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Camcorder advice

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My son has a wedge of birthday money and wants to buy a camcorder. I thought I'd pick NSC's collective brains for the best one.

He's 7 years old so I want something that's robust, not too complex to operate (although judging by the way he whizzes around a PC I don't think he'd be too fazed by this) and costs about £100. He's not going to doing anything to arty with it but I think it will need a decent zoom.

Any recommendations?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Might pay to get one that uses the format that is compatible with the editing software he is going to use. With so many formats now, he might spend hours changing file formats otherwise ???

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Might pay to get one that uses the format that is compatible with the editing software he is going to use. With so many formats now, he might spend hours changing file formats otherwise ???

Good point. We'll be using Movie Maker

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Good point. We'll be using Movie Maker

If it's XP you're using, the following formats are supported:-

Supported formats for importing content

Video files: .asf, .avi, .wmv
Movie files: MPEG1, .mpeg, .mpg, .m1v, .mp2
Audio files: .wav, .snd, .au, .aif, .aifc, .aiff
Windows Media files: .asf, .wm, .wma, .wmv
Still images: .bmp, .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe, .jfif, .gif
MP3 format audio: .mp3

If it's a later OS, just check compatability via a Google search :)

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Slightly different but how about an action camera like a GoPro? They're a lot more robust, can be used under water and very simple to use.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My niece bought one to take videos of her daughter in the water and under water and only cost about £70 from Argos not sure of the make. I was going to buy one but went and bought one from cash converters and got a much more expensive one very cheap. This maybe an idea to see if he takes to it or it is just a 5 min fancy.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Does anyone here have access to Which on-line?

If so they have a very recent camcorder review which would be worth sending to Gwylan.

As usual Which tend to analyse electronic items in a way that you will be able to find a suitable unit?

Any helpers?

TNBA

TTF

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My niece has just phoned the one she bought that she is very pleased with is a Vivitar now on offer at £39.99 reduced from £99.99, mind I have never seen it at that price, the most I have seen it at was £69.99.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here