Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Leeds United **** Official Match Thread ****

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think we've both watched a fair few u23 games this season, if I remember the threads correctly. Yes, that goal by Ferguson against Everton was superb!, and he certainly looks good, for the future.

He hasn't been starting every single game though in the U23's even tbf, and it's a huge step up to Premier League level.

Where I would agree with you, is that if Locadia is the only alternative, then yes, it's got to be worth giving the youngsters some first team game time, in the absence of anyone else, all the time Welbeck is injured.

I think someone has already mentioned. Maybe it's devilment in such speculation? but I also wonder if bringing Locadia on is actually Potter sending out a message?

Yes, I agree, it would obviously be a gamble. The thing that makes me think Ferguson coud just be able to step up, apart from his obvious skills, is the way that defenders frequently just bounce off him.
Tolaj has also been mentioned - he was looking good earlier, but he's had some very quiet games of late.
Either of them, though, if the alternative is Locadia ..................................

Locadia did nothing to justify his place on the bench. Why oh why can't GP try Ferguson on the bench?
Could not be any worse.

how can any player justify their place unless they play? these days theres no reserve team and he cant play in the u23s..

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Potter saying in his post match interview that he can't understand the booing at the end after such a fantastic performance. I totally agree with him.

Having said that, I can see the fans frustration with the finishing. Also, I'm not going to games anymore, so I'm in no position to criticise those that have made the effort to be there.

I personally didn't boo, I don't think it solves anything, but I fully understand that after watching us totally dominate for yet another 90 minutes without scoring, that the players are going to get stick for it.
Everything about our game today was excellent apart from the ever frustrating final third. So many fans are tired of seeing us struggle in front of goal, it's not something new that the club hasn't had time to prepare for, we've been crying out for a striker for 5+ seasons. Maupay isn't good enough, Connolly/Locadia are barely footballers let alone strikers, Welbeck is a sicknote and our youngsters probably aren't ready.
Genuinely can't see how we're going to get out of this rut.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Fantastic performance according to potter?

WTF!

I am done with this!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Khadra has been scoring of late. And a fit Longman is scoring and creating.

Longman? Yes, he scored his first goal for his new team that he joined in the summer, today. It's late November .......................

(I do think he is a good young player, but I also think he is probably one of our current batch of loanees that we are not planning on keeping).

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Couldn’t attend tonight and watched the game at home with a Leeds fan. He was amazed they got away with a draw. We were dominant throughout and had ample opportunity to win it. Creating chances is key and we did that very well. Incredibly disappointing that we couldn’t take one of them and we’re all frustrated by that.

Personally I think GP was right in what he said and the boos were undeserved and pointless but that is the mentality of some fans. NSC is the same - many of us fully appreciative that we are in the top half of the PL and capable of some really exciting football - others far more critical and p####d off with GP and selected players. It often isn’t a pleasant experience reading the match day thread when we don’t win but I still can’t resist! I may have to soon though - I’m still celebrating the players and coaching staff we have as this is the best team we’ve had - I’ll continue to do so and hope we’ll pick up a win on Wednesday - Sarmiento looked promising! UTA

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Rubbish, absolute rubbish. Those comments were absolutely justified. Anyone who booed that performance should be ashamed of themselves and he was right to call it out.

He was lucky there were no supporters in there last season when we were fire beyond belief.
Locadia embarrassing
Maupay shot
Wellbeck sick note
Connolly **** knows
This is the premier league ffs
How many teams in the bottom three have we beaten eh Graham’s ?
It’s a results business we are barely better off than what hughton achieved
Was the booing justified yes it bloody was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wozza

Custom title
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Leeds are a poor team, out of form, and with key players missing or going off. And we had the same number of shots on target, with not dissimilar possession - at home.

So how anyone can be impressed with our performance is beyond me. The only players with any credit imo are Trossard, Cucurella, Lamptey and sub March. Several others stunk the place out.

A waste of time, effort and money. 4/10.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Rubbish, absolute rubbish. Those comments were absolutely justified. Anyone who booed that performance should be ashamed of themselves and he was right to call it out.
And he will regret it. There's no upside to falling out with your own supporters, especially when the teams not won for 2 months. Emotional intelligence? Haha. Childish.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Just back and slowing warming up.

Overall I thought we played ok, slightly quicker with some more urgency in the first 70 minutes but still a serious amount of work to do

Maupay - sitters. The one in the second half that he blazed over had the whistle gone, couldn’t tell from the WSU? Hold up play and chasing down half decent but he isn’t a natural goal scorer

Trossard / Lamptey lively and played well

Cucurella solid

Moder more involved and direct and felt like he was our number 9 in the first half

Sarmiento gave us a loft when he came on and need to see more of him.

Locadia - I’m sorry, this has to end now, looked disinterested and massively off the pace, if he was the answer we are in trouble.

Heard the boos and left sharpish, will watch MOTD later.

Don’t agree with the boos but can understand and share the frustration, they were there for the taking and it’s a shame the crowd had to gee up the players in the last ten minutes, the players shouldn’t need the encouragement

Disappointed is an understatement, we need a number 10 to feed off, Origi would be perfect for us.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Potter has a reputation for doing the unexected, and was employed, I thnk, in part for his reputation for playing youth. Yet so far, hhe hasn't really done that - Lamptey played a few games before his 20th. birthday, and Sarmiento has had a sniff from the bench (and I'm sure someone will find one or two other isolated occasions - I'm nit counting cup games though, just the PL) but we're not really known for throwing in youngsters, are we? (even Big Bob is the 4th. yougest keeper in the PL).

So maybe it's time for Potter to demonstrate that boldness to try something unexpected, to try the 'if he's good enough, he's old enough' approach? More time for Sarmiento - doesn't necessarily need to start, but some regular sub appearances, give Richards a few goes, and even try Ferguson up front - he may be only 17, but he's a big lad, doesn't look at all physiclly bullied by the biggest that U23 opponents can provide.

Oh, and DJ Strollabout. I think his contract ends in June? DON'T try to get him to sign a new one.

Played Connolly when he was only 19 instead of loaning him out, and in hindsight the direct promotion from U23 to first team seems to have done his career more harm than good.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It's clear enough that Lamptey's return is being very carefully managed in terms of game time. That's exactly the right thing to do. I'd rather have 75 absolute class minutes out of him and bring on a quality replacement in March than keep Lamptey on for the full 90 minutes in desperation if he's not ready.

understand that but we almost lost the game because of the gap created by him going off....

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Classic Brighton performance tonight in that we largely played well but cannot put the ball in the net.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Played Connolly when he was only 19 instead of loaning him out, and in hindsight the direct promotion from U23 to first team seems to have done his career more harm than good.

According to some, we need to make the same mistake with 17 year old Ferguson ...

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
They are both better than Locadia. They've both scored more goals than him in the PL. Joelinton for £40m though!

I get your point!! even £40m is a gamble in the PL.

If there were a proven PL 20 a season player he would be sitting on Man City's (or the likes) bench!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here