Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brick Lane Curry Houses

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Seeking some advice from NSC.

Next month there's a group of about 15 of us out for a 21st birthday, we're in London Bridge for the day then planning to head off to Brick Lane for a curry. Yes it's a bit generic, yes there are better places to go, but we couldn't really give a fudge. None of us have been there before so there's a bit of a novelty factor, and it seems suitable for a large-ish group of 20/21 year olds.

Anyway, as I said, none of us have been there before so we're after some recommendations (for places to avoid as well). Not too expensive, good value for money (obviously), and waiters who are open to a bit of camaraderie with a group of young blokes.

Cheers

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Have eaten in 3 or 4 places down theree and personally I wouldn't go back - except to the Indian suermarket down there, which I do every couple of months as it's about 10 mins walk from work. The last time I saw anything about any of the restaurants was a a TV program abut apalling kitchen health standards down there. Tey found rat droppings on the floor, washing plates in a bucket etc, nt nice, but I guess just one pace.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Slightly away from Brick Lane on the other side of Whitechapel Road, but I would recommend Tayyabs in Fieldgate Street. You'll need to book it, it'll be rammed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
and waiters who are open to a bit of camaraderie with a group of young blokes.

Old Compton Street might be a better bet.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
They are all pretty similar. You should be able to negotiate a starter, mains, rice, nan and 2 drinks for a tenner.

15 of us went to Sajna, 30 Osborne street leading into Brick Lane after the Charlton game.

I preferred Monsoon, Brick Lane, which I went to with my two sons after the West Ham debacle last year.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Slightly away from Brick Lane on the other side of Whitechapel Road, but I would recommend Tayyabs in Fieldgate Street. You'll need to book it, it'll be rammed.

This. It's very good.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton

Next month there's a group of about 15 of us out for a 21st birthday, we're in London Bridge for the day then planning to head off to Brick Lane for a curry. Yes it's a bit generic, yes there are better places to go, but we couldn't really give a fudge. None of us have been there before so there's a bit of a novelty factor, and it seems suitable for a large-ish group of 20/21 year olds.

Anyway, as I said, none of us have been there before so we're after some recommendations (for places to avoid as well). Not too expensive, good value for money (obviously), and waiters who are open to a bit of camaraderie with a group of young blokes.

Cheers

blimey...looking forward to hearing how that ones turns out:wink:

as said previously just head down there and haggle mate - it's actually quite a good laugh and you'll get a cracking deal

you staying in London that night or last train back?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Tayyabs will be the place to go for a 21st birthday.

Book a table in advance though as it get veeeerrrryy busy. There's a queue out the door on a friday or saturday night. See if you can book a table downstairs away from all the people queuing to get in.

The food is great, pretty cheap, and you can bring your own booze.

Only negative on this place is that they tend to just bring the food over whenever its ready, rather than when its all ready. so you might get someone receiving their meal 5-10 mins before someone else on your table does. My advice is just to order loads, as its pretty cheap, so you can just share bits of each dish.

Enjoy!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Tayyabs without a doubt, the restaurants actually on Brick Lane all much of a muchness, standard Angla Bangla fair but Tayyabs is great. Platefulls of meat.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Got to go with the majority here - Tayyabs is by far and away the best place to go. There's also a Turkish place called The Maedah Grill in Fieldgate Street which is very very good

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
The Standard Balti House...

Cheers
Strongly recommend the Standard Balti House on Brick Lane. Always good, very reasonable, never had Delhi belly...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If you are happy to spend a little extra, go to Lahore Kebab in Umberston Street.

http://www.lahore-kebabhouse.com/

Great lamb chop starters.

this is the correct answer. get your beers from the Cobra offie next door. (or tayyabs if you want to follow the trendy crowd :wink: not much between though tbf)

Dandyman

In London village.
If you are happy to spend a little extra, go to Lahore Kebab in Umberston Street.

http://www.lahore-kebabhouse.com/

Great lamb chop starters.

Good choice as is Tayyabs. Both are BYO - of the two I'd say the LKH is more family orientated while Tayyabs is possibly more suitable for an "out on the town" group.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Curse this thread for reminding me of tayyabs and the Lahore.
All I want now is a big plate of chops and a couple of roti.
Ok maybe some dry meat too.
And perhaps a sag paneer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here