Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bradley wiggens tour de france

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I'm curious:-

a) Why start this thread, when you know about the other one?

Two reasons for me, both of which may apply to others:
1. Most days, I don't watch live, but 'as live', anything from half an hour to several hours after the fact, or the highlights, so don't want to know what has happened.
2. In the runup to the Tour, the thread was all about the fantasy cycling, which put me off as I didn't have time to research the ins & outs of Euskaltel's climbers or FDJ's adventurers!

If these two things weren't the case, I'd have been living on that thread for the past month, bro.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Oh, and I know I didn't start the thread, but you see what I mean ...

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Not particularly a cycle fan, although I appreciate the sheer physical demands to compete, but yesterday was listening to the radio discussing the Tour de France.

The times are considerably slower now than 10 years ago, when drugs seem to have been rife, doubt whether it is absolutely clean now, but if it aint then the drugs arent working.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Those who say its "not fair on Froome" and "he would have won if he had allowed to" ignore the fact that Wiggins is the worlds best time trialler. If Froome was on another team he may have put some time into Wiggins on the climbs (although BW wouldn't give it up easily) but Wiggins would certainly have enough to beat him with his advantage in the TT. Anyway Froome is a Saffa!!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
because 'that' thread seems to be for people who know cycling well, this is asking a question that would have got lost over there

I think it is for the benefit of people like me who don't even ride a bike, know diddley squat about competitive cycling but are interested in how Bradley Wiggins is faring and want to know more about it.
I wonder if that's a curse of 'official' threads.

As over there we pride ourselves on the all encompassing nature of the thread.
I'd safely say the same question could be asked about Brod Wiggens 20 times and it would still get a polite honest, and usually correct answer. (something you still fully haven't had here :lol:)

We're even self policing the merest hint of some NSC traditional style 'banter' stopped.

I'd like to think there are posters in the same position as yourself [MENTION=5384]Norman Potting[/MENTION] who are pleased with the results to any questions they had.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Two reasons for me, both of which may apply to others:
1. Most days, I don't watch live, but 'as live', anything from half an hour to several hours after the fact, or the highlights, so don't want to know what has happened.
2. In the runup to the Tour, the thread was all about the fantasy cycling, which put me off as I didn't have time to research the ins & outs of Euskaltel's climbers or FDJ's adventurers!

If these two things weren't the case, I'd have been living on that thread for the past month, bro.
I've always been a 5-live listener.
The 3 weeks with no radio because I wanted to watch the highlights, as that was all we had, were very long indeed.

I thought we'd done quite a good job of keeping fantasy talk down. Oh well, obviously not.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Anyway Froome is a Saffa!!!!

He would claim to be a Kenyan, I think. He went to school in South Africa but he used to ride under a Kenyan cycling license. When the Kenyan cycling authorities proved to be a bit useless he chose to go British rather than South African.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Those who say its "not fair on Froome" and "he would have won if he had allowed to" ignore the fact that Wiggins is the worlds best time trialler. If Froome was on another team he may have put some time into Wiggins on the climbs (although BW wouldn't give it up easily) but Wiggins would certainly have enough to beat him with his advantage in the TT. Anyway Froome is a Saffa!!!!

If froome was on another team he would probably not even be top 5

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If froome was on another team he would probably not even be top 5
Blimey I'm off, to the other thread, if anyone wants me, or wants to know some proper facts, insight and understanding.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Bradley Wiggins should be Sir Bradley Wiggins this time next year.

IMHO the biggest achievement by an Englishman since 1966, this time tomorrow I will be toasting his achievement.

Knight him for winning the Tour De France. Seriously? I can understand it is a massive achievement and he has worked incredibly hard to win it, over a number of years and there is more to the sport than just the bigger events the casuals watch... But how can you justify suggesting he be Knighted for winning this event?

Jul 20, 2003
Knight him for winning the Tour De France. Seriously? I can understand it is a massive achievement and he has worked incredibly hard to win it, over a number of years and there is more to the sport than just the bigger events the casuals watch... But how can you justify suggesting he be Knighted for winning this event?

because he should

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium

Who should be knighted or not is another discussion, as for like for like many sportsmen/women have been given such titles.. IF any sportsman is worthy of being knighted then Wiggins tops the list.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

If Alex Ferguson can be knighted then Wiggens can.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Who should be knighted or not is another discussion, as for like for like many sportsmen/women have been given such titles.. IF any sportsman is worthy of being knighted then Wiggins tops the list.

It is indeed. Sir Chris Hoy ffs.. But even he had to excel consistently. I am a cycling novice, so maybe I am missing the bigger picture. Is there further justification for Wiggins being Knighted than just the Tour De France?

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
It is indeed. Sir Chris Hoy ffs.. But even he had to excel consistently. I am a cycling novice, so maybe I am missing the bigger picture. Is there further justification for Wiggins being Knighted than just the Tour De France?

Olympics: 3 gold 1 silver 2 bronze
World Champs. 6 gold 4 silver 1 bronze
This year 3 prestigious stage races (before the tour) and he's still got the Olympics to come.
Also his transition from track to road racing is almost miraculous, nobody could have predicted that he would be able to climb like he has.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here